How about a bio

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Re: How about a bio

Postby montanamallard » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:28 pm

Moved to Montana in 1997 to attend U of M. Moved to Bitterroot Valley, shot my first duck in Metcalf in 98. Moved to Bozeman in 02, moved to Palm Springs CA in 09, back to Bitterroot in sep 10 in time for the season (must have been luck, or careful planning) I could kill the guy who took me out duck hunting the first time. Seemingly $50,000 later, I realized I just need a dozen or two decoys, and to learn how to call and hide. I think you should go the extra mile to scout, hide, call, and walk a little farther past where most people typically go to be successful. That does not mean I don't like driving out into a field to the "X" and dropping everything off however. (This works best when you hunt with old people like Phutch). I have three black labs. All I can say about that is have plenty of food on hand. I like to be away from the crowds, and refuges and sky-busters piss me off. Work the bird, decoy the bird, shoot the bird especially if its a hen...lol. I like to hunt mallards, in small spots, where they don't expect you or in fields. Take a kid hunting.
Attachments
Metcalf.jpg
The Root'
Metcalf.jpg (8.28 KiB) Viewed 2858 times
montanamallard
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:33 pm

Ya all that and still a hen killa. :beer:

I should state hes a great hunt host. Everythings all set up and ready to go when you get there. He makes it easy on us old crippled up old guys.
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby MontanaNewbie » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:11 pm

Just found this site a few weeks ago an have learned more here in that time than any other. Just moved out to Great Falls in August of this year. I had always dreamed of living in Montana finally and it was here. Been out 7-8 times so far and had the best opening day (5 mallards, 1 goose) since I was 12. Coming from suburban WI there wasn't much to be had. I can't believe the opportunities here to hunt. Finally figured it out a bit and filled my first limit on the Missouri on Thursday. Now once I figure this uploding pictures thing i'll have some to show. Looing forward to many days afield
Picked a place that seemed in the middle of nowhere and got it
MontanaNewbie
hunter

Postby Fledgling fowler » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:41 am

I am relatively new to waterfowl. I have hunted big game as long as I can remember. This website cracks me up and keeps me inspired to take to the field every weekend. I lived in SW Montana the last 12 years... I just had a couple hotspots figured out and we moved to north central Montana. We live in Fort Benton. I bought a little John boat and have been trying to figure out how to hunt the river as I have only hunted puddle ducks in the past. If anyone in the area would like to show me the ropes I would greatly appreciate it.

I am an educator by trade and have lived in Montana nearly all my life. I moved to Montana when I was four years old from Wisconsin. Go Packers!
[album][/album]
Fledgling fowler
Newb

Postby chaltig » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:53 pm

New Member here from Bozeman, MT/Spokane, WA!

The basics:

Name is Chase. I'm currently attending school in Montana at MSU, originally from Spokane. Shot my first duck when I was 13. Love duck, turkey and upland bird hunting. I enjoy fishing. Hoping to shoot an Elk and a Deer next fall. Love to snowboard. Have been riding for 15 years now and I compete on a regular basis. Enjoy working on cars and trucks.

Usually hunt in Maddison river, or in the big timber area.

Here are some pictures from this season and last season...

Field Staff Pacific Custom Calls
chaltig
hunter

Postby Big Sky » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:22 pm

My name is Michael and I am 37. Came to Billings in 1981 when my dad moved here with the oil boom. Thankfully he liked it so much that when the oil boom went bust he decided to stay, so MT is home. Went to college in Missouri, lived in Spain for 2 1/2 years, graduate school in North Carolina (Master of Divinity), then came home. Married a girl from Florida while in NC and brought her with me and she absolutely loves it here! We were just blessed with the chance to adopt a baby boy and I am soo looking forward to sharing the outdoors with him.

I started hunting big game with my dad but didn't get into waterfowl until the late 90's. I got tired of chasing elk all over the mountains and never shooting one so I thought I would try something else...I'm sad that I didn't get into birds sooner. I still get out and chase elk and deer some and I'm waiting on the super-elusive moose tag, but feel like I'm wasting good bird time while doing it.

See you guys around!
Big Sky
hunter

Postby rednechuntr » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:23 pm

Hello, my name is Wayne and I'm 21. I moved to Great Falls just three weeks ago so I'm still getting used to the new scenery and outdoors opportunities. I'm in the Air Force and luckily got stationed up here. I am from Southern Iowa and have been hunting ducks since I was 10 and I tagged along with dad for a couple years before that. I have hunted just about everything a guy can in Iowa. I never was able to get into many geese, and primarily hunted ducks, but I am really hoping to get a few honkers this year. I've been scouting a few places and it looks very promising to see hundreds of ducks in the middle of August, for a midwest boy anyways. Just bought a kayak here and plan on using it for the majority of the hunting I hope to do. If you are willing to offer any kind of advice about hunting up here on a river setting and all that it entails (since I've only hunted marshes), I'd be grateful. I don't want your spot, just info in general on the hunting scene up here and any advice a person new to Montana might need.Thanks and good luck this season!
Attachments
332249_2497301066834_803113864_o.jpg
rednechuntr
Newb

Postby montana bound » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:13 pm

Hello my name is Doug I am 48 ,moved here from Jersey a year and a half ago. Spent 14 years with the NJ Dept of Corrections.
Now Semi retired, Im running a Taxidermy shop and we are also a breeder of Labrador Retrievers.
We reside in Nashua. I live for the birds , waterfowl and upland.
Working on learning the ropes up here , presently looking for a good river boat. :hi:
You get out of a dog , what you put into a dog!
montana bound
hunter

Postby MyAbusa » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:28 am

My name is T.J. & I'm a 40 year old 4th generation Helenan. During my College years in the early 90's, while attending Montana Tech, I spent a great deal of time hunting Ducks with my Chesapeake Bay Retriever throughout the Butte & Anaconda area. I've been out of the sport for quite some time but recently have decided to give chasing ducks another go but with a bit of a twist.

I'm a falconer & last year while flying my Red-Tail hawk on squirrel & rabbit I found she also enjoyed chasing ducks. Though she had many great chases the hawk, due to her lack of natural speed, was only able to connect with three.

I released the hawk back to the wild last spring & hope to continue my duck pursuit with my current charge, a Prairie Falcon, which should be much better equipped to tackle waterfowl.

I'm currently working hard to get the Falcon ready for this upcoming season & spending a great deal of time looking for falcon friendly areas around the Helena area to hunt duck.
MyAbusa
hunter

Postby BirdfootBill22 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:53 pm

hey fellow duck hunters

My name is Jeremy and I am 22 years old. I just moved out here 2 weeks ago from Virginia. I grew up hunting down in Mississippi, Louisiana, Arkansas and Missouri. Ive been duck hunting since about the time i was big enough to hold a gun. I am in the process of finding a job at the moment, but if i don't meet up with some people that duck hunt around the bozeman area im gonna go insane. I need to be with some fellow duck hunters. I have some decs, and just waiting on my gun to be transfered from my pops house back in Va. If any of you guys are willing to help a guy out, id be greatly in your debt. I would even go with someone just to call the quacker and honkers in. anyway if you guys have any info or advice on jobs, hunting, or anything let me know 425-301-9787.

hope to hear from some of you guys.
take care
Havin a QUACK attack!
BirdfootBill22
Newb

Postby Bulldog0156 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:14 am

MyAbusa wrote:My name is T.J. & I'm a 40 year old 4th generation Helenan. During my College years in the early 90's, while attending Montana Tech, I spent a great deal of time hunting Ducks with my Chesapeake Bay Retriever throughout the Butte & Anaconda area. I've been out of the sport for quite some time but recently have decided to give chasing ducks another go but with a bit of a twist.

I'm a falconer & last year while flying my Red-Tail hawk on squirrel & rabbit I found she also enjoyed chasing ducks. Though she had many great chases the hawk, due to her lack of natural speed, was only able to connect with three.

I released the hawk back to the wild last spring & hope to continue my duck pursuit with my current charge, a Prairie Falcon, which should be much better equipped to tackle waterfowl.

I'm currently working hard to get the Falcon ready for this upcoming season & spending a great deal of time looking for falcon friendly areas around the Helena area to hunt duck.

This is cool. Good luck to you! :beer:
Bulldog0156
hunter

Postby wingnutty » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:42 pm

MyAbusa wrote:My name is T.J. & I'm a 40 year old 4th generation Helenan. During my College years in the early 90's, while attending Montana Tech, I spent a great deal of time hunting Ducks with my Chesapeake Bay Retriever throughout the Butte & Anaconda area. I've been out of the sport for quite some time but recently have decided to give chasing ducks another go but with a bit of a twist.

Very cool. Please check in from time to time and post some pics :thumbsup:
wingnutty
hunter

Postby jberg440 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:02 am

BirdfootBill22 wrote:hey fellow duck hunters

My name is Jeremy and I am 22 years old. I just moved out here 2 weeks ago from Virginia. I grew up hunting down in Mississippi, Louisiana, Arkansas and Missouri. Ive been duck hunting since about the time i was big enough to hold a gun. I am in the process of finding a job at the moment, but if i don't meet up with some people that duck hunt around the bozeman area im gonna go insane. I need to be with some fellow duck hunters. I have some decs, and just waiting on my gun to be transfered from my pops house back in Va. If any of you guys are willing to help a guy out, id be greatly in your debt. I would even go with someone just to call the quacker and honkers in. anyway if you guys have any info or advice on jobs, hunting, or anything let me know 425-301-9787.

hope to hear from some of you guys.
take care

Welcome Jeremy! What kind of work are you looking for? It can be tough around here to find a job thats for sure! I don't know how much hunting i'll actually get to do this year during the week thanks to school, but look me up come season maybe we can get together for a hunt one weekend.

Justin
The man banging on the door kept yelling "Alcohol, Tobbaco, and Firearms!" I just assumed it was more supplies.
jberg440
hunter

Postby rockclimber616 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:59 pm

Hello My Fellow Montanans, This is my second season duck hunting and it has quickly taken all of my free time when I am not in school. I am a student at the University of Montana working on my BA in Elementary Education. I have been trying more and more to find new hunting areas near or close to Missoula and have had some luck and some confusion. I usually am out 1-3 times week so if anyone wants another to share a blind and good conversation give me a jingle, I'm always looking for new hunting partners.
Cheers,
Ryan N :)
rockclimber616
Newb

Postby MontanaBirdNewbie » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:36 pm

I am a born and raised montana, reside near Billings, first year of waterfowl hunting, got tired of chasing a few pheasants, I am a underground miner, still very new to duck hunting, I do need some advice on the in's and outs of duck hunting,
MontanaBirdNewbie
hunter

Postby timmyf18z » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:44 pm

Hello to all,
Dreaded out of stater looking for help. I am in Helena area for a week and would like to have someone point me in the right direction to go chase ducks. I am from Alabama (also known as God's country) and up here for work at Ft. Harrison. If any of you can let me know where I should go hunt next week I will do what I can to pay you back if you ever get down to my area, or where my lease in Brinkley, AR is. I am flying with everything but decoys to include a float tube, waders, calls, gun, shells...
Thanks, Tim
timmyf18z
Newb

Postby Cdphotos82 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:11 pm

Hey Everybody,

I live down here in West Yellowstone right outside the park. Been living here for 7 years and hunting ducks for about 10. Grew up in Central PA where i grew up and went to high school. Fly Fishing guide in the summer, snowmobile guide in the winter and full time professional photographer.. Been spending every morning and afternoon either scouting or sitting in a blind this fall on Hebgen Lake. Glad to find this forum and look forward to seeing how everybody else over Montana is doing this year hunting. The best of luck to everybody!!

Chris Daniel
Cdphotos82
hunter

Postby sloth » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:19 pm

Hello to all,
Well im 28yo who just moved to billings and i am a freshman at RMC majoring in Envirnmental Science. This is my first year here in MT and im lovin it. The blk mgmnt thing yall have here is amazing. With the degree i plan on working in the pothole region and saskatchewan with waterfowl habitat. Maybe even my own non profit helping wounded vets get out and waterfowl hunt around the state.
Background: Married with an awesome son, i recently left the USMC after 8 years :sniper: , i have been duck hunting for 3 seasons now. Im impressed with the amount of birds up here. Oh yah btw im origonaly from northern california, please dont hold that against me, (i cant stand that damn state or the hypocrites that live there :mad: ). The wife is a MT native so at least i married someone from the right state.
Any other q's just pm me
Good luck and happy hunting this season
Brent
DU Member
YAT-YAS
USMC '04-'12
sloth
hunter

Postby wingnutty » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:57 pm

sloth wrote:Hello to all,
Well im 28yo who just moved to billings and i am a freshman at RMC majoring in Envirnmental Science. This is my first year here in MT and im lovin it. The blk mgmnt thing yall have here is amazing. With the degree i plan on working in the pothole region and saskatchewan with waterfowl habitat. Maybe even my own non profit helping wounded vets get out and waterfowl hunt around the state.
Background: Married with an awesome son, i recently left the USMC after 8 years :sniper: , i have been duck hunting for 3 seasons now. Im impressed with the amount of birds up here. Oh yah btw im origonaly from northern california, please dont hold that against me, (i cant stand that damn state or the hypocrites that live there :mad: ). The wife is a MT native so at least i married someone from the right state.
Any other q's just pm me
Good luck and happy hunting this season
Brent

Nobody would hold a CA background against a veteran :bow: ! God bless you for your service and welcome to Montana :thumbsup:
wingnutty
hunter

Postby HaydenHunter » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:08 am

sloth wrote:Hello to all,
Well im 28yo who just moved to billings and i am a freshman at RMC majoring in Envirnmental Science.
My daughter went to Rocky for 2 years after transferring from a JC. Graduated with a BS in Geology. You found yourself a cool little school.

Thanks for your service in the USMC.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby HaydenHunter » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:09 am

MontanaBirdNewbie wrote:I am a born and raised montana, reside near Billings, first year of waterfowl hunting, got tired of chasing a few pheasants, I am a underground miner, still very new to duck hunting,
You work at Stillwater Mine? My daughter lives in Billings and works there.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby MontanaBirdNewbie » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:51 pm

HaydenHunter wrote:
MontanaBirdNewbie wrote:I am a born and raised montana, reside near Billings, first year of waterfowl hunting, got tired of chasing a few pheasants, I am a underground miner, still very new to duck hunting,
You work at Stillwater Mine? My daughter lives in Billings and works there.

Yes I have worked there for almost 15 years
MontanaBirdNewbie
hunter

Postby canis521 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:12 am

I moved in here in August from WI to attend grad school at UM--some would say a mid-life crisis of sorts as I am in my 40s. I live outside of Florence and despite my plan to forgo hunting this year until I gain residency, the urge to hunt, and the consistent "looks" from my 11-year-old lab, may make me rethink that plan. I didn't start hunting until my mid 20s, started hunting ducks about 10 years ago, but never really had the chance to get too serious about it. Any advice for a newcomer would be appreciated--I figure I will start with Lee Metcalf and Ninepipes and see what I learn. Hopefully, I will run into a few people from the area, maybe share a blind, and get the chance to improve my duck calling.
canis521
hunter

Postby Cschultz16 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:53 pm

Hello all,

I have lived in Montana most of my life and do most of my waterfowl hunting in the Billings and Bozeman areas. Don't know why I didn't join the forum sooner I have been learning from it for years. Anyways, I live in billings but grew up in Belgrade hence the areas I tend to hunt haha :lol3: we have a few more days to hunt in the pacific flyway and I plan to make the most of them! Due to my extreme obsession with bowhunting elk and deer, most of my waterfowl hunting doesn't happen til late November through January. I hope everyone's season finishes as good as I hope mine will!
Cschultz16
Newb

Postby mtfowler » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:35 pm

Hi guys,
Well, I moved to Mt. in 2006, from Western Washington. Used to hunt waterfowl out there when I was younger but we quit when the steel shot mandate came in. moved to sun River, right outside of Great Falls and met a buddy who wouldn't leave me alone about going with him. That was 3 yrs, 2 shotguns, 1 lab, & 9 dozen decoys ago and I haven't looked back!! My wife is sure I've gone insane because I have almost totally given up big game hunting for birds!! I have a year old lab (Apollo) he got 47 retrieves this year and is really doing well. I also have a brittany that is just a pretty fair upland dog so I spend as much time with the dogs as possible. We do have 2 kids, and 18 yr old boy who is a senior in high school, member of the Mt. Army National guard, footbal and rugby player etc..and a 14 yr old girl who is fast becoming my hunting partner!! she shot her first deer this year and is a freshamn in high school. Looking forward to maybe meeting some of the guys on here and getting to hunt with you my dogs and I need a new partner as my son is leaving this summer and my girl just can't get into waterfowling!!
Sent from the dog house.
mtfowler
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Montana Duck Hunting