How about a bio

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Re: How about a bio

Postby deathfrombelow » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:07 pm

Hello fellow hunters. Names Nick and i moved to Missoula this year from Eugene Or but originally from Santa Barbara CA. I got into duck hunting last year after rescuing my dog Charlie(half lab maybe half golden, your guess is good as mine) After I got him I was told he was a bird dog aka a working dog. So that's how we got started. I'm more than addicted and I hunt anything I'm aloud to for the most part. I found a couple spots and did pretty decent this year and Charlie was a beast. Very proud of him. Anyway glad to find this community and I will be participating as much as I can. Take care!

Death From Below
DEATH FROM BELOW
deathfrombelow
hunter

Postby Lawdog » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:48 pm

Welcome.
Rest in Peace, Ryder. Boy, you went before your time, in the start of your prime. You were loyal and are missed.

~ 4 March 2013.
Lawdog
State Moderator

Postby fultz_danNWPA » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:30 am

Just wanted to introduce myself on here. I just moved to Missoula in May. I just graduated college from WV, originally from Erie PA. I have been hunting fowl for 10 years now. I grew up hunting Lake Erie and other large bodies as well as geese over corn fields. Last year I hunted 56 out of our 60 day season. It was a personal best season for me. This will be a little different out here and I have limited gear to what I'm use to, so I will be looking to you guys for advice. I'm excited to see the pintails and numbers of birds out here compared to the East.

Are there any waterfowl conventions/festivals in MT?
fultz_danNWPA
hunter

Postby GeeGriz » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:17 pm

Hi, my name's Charlie & I've been living In Missoula since last October. I have never hunted before but I've got some spots scouted out close to town for this upcoming 2013 waterfowl season but I'm not entirely sure if it's kosher to hunt because of all the private property and urban sprawl. Guess I'll find out one way or another!!!
GeeGriz
hunter

Postby Lawdog » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:01 pm

Welcome.
Rest in Peace, Ryder. Boy, you went before your time, in the start of your prime. You were loyal and are missed.

~ 4 March 2013.
Lawdog
State Moderator

Postby bigphil57 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:28 pm

Hey
This might get a little wordy but I want to try and paint the whole picture..

I am from west Tennessee and have been hunting ducks in east Arkansas and the Mississippi River since I could hold up a shotgun. I love it. And as yall can probably agree to, there aint much that's more fun than scouting and being right in the thick of the big numbers when you can almost catch em with a dip net. So you could believe how impressed I was when I saw how much waterfowl I saw in Montana. My ex girlfriend is from a town in Flathead valley and every visit we made out there I saw a lot of birds. This, naturally, had me interested so I did some research online. As it turns out, it seems yall have A LOT of public hunting land across the state and yalls season is open almost a full 2 months earlier than ours.

I mentioned this to my two friends who also work with me. One is a long time buddy and fellow Tennessean I played grade school, high school, and college ball with but more importantly, we grew up hunting ducks together. The other is guy I meet 2 years ago working. He is from Texas and guides for his family company, WaterFowl Specialties (waterfowlspecialties.com). They both loved the idea of roughing it/camping and chasing ducks and geese around Montana for about a month.

Well this all took place 3 years ago but work (BP oil spill research) hasn't let us sneak away from the gulf coast for as long as we are wanting to. But the contract job is finally up so 2013 is our year.

With all that being said, I don't want yall thinking we are asking for any kind handouts or honey holes. We are trying to be as prepared as we can for the different terrain we might face in Montana that is different than we are accustomed at home. We are bringing a boat that is great for hunting rivers just in case we need it. It also doubles as something to haul our b.s. I'm not sure if I read it right, but it sounds like the Charles M. Russell wildlife refuge allows UTV's on certain roads. We have a four wheeler that fits in the bed of the truck but we aren't sure if we should bring it. We are going to start on east end of the state and work our way west mostly because we are coming from that way.

If yall had just one 3 week stretch to hunt waterfowl in MT during the whole season, when would yall pick? We have it narrowed it down to October or November mainly so we don't miss a beat with hunting down south. I know a lot of that depends on weather but we have to come up with some exact dates so we can tell work. October? November?

Any advice spared would be greatly appreciated. If anyone wants to hunt with us one morning, come on! The more the merrier. We could use a lil local help on the lay of the land I'm sure. We will have a boat, 4wheeler if need be, plenty of decoys (goose and duck), robo ducks, few layout blinds, Rosco the chocolate lab.
bigphil57
Newb

Postby erminator » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:54 pm

My name is Andrew, and i am a current pre-med student at the University of Montana. I am from Billings, and grew up upland hunting. I am not able to have a dog out here, which is half of fun of upland hunting for me. I duck hunted when i was just starting out hunting, but now duck/goose hunting are becoming one of my favorite things to do. Last year i shot my first pintail(hen, still waiting on a nice bull sprig) at Ninepipes WMA, and i was able to bring some decoys up with me to college this year, so i am hoping for a good season. If anyone needs someone to go hunting with, shoot me a message.
Thanks, Drew
erminator
hunter

Postby joelhenry000 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:15 pm

Howdy all!
ive been living in missoula for a couple years now.
born and raised in England (yeah kinda different out here huh)

i have a 1y/o weim who is my partner in crime, and we are looking forward to our first hunting season in the great MT together.

if anyones open to an additional member of their bird hunting crew get at me !

hope everyone enjoys this year!

Joel
joelhenry000
hunter

Postby joelhenry000 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:02 pm

Howdy all!
ive been living in missoula for a couple years now.
born and raised in England (yeah kinda different out here huh)

i have a 1y/o weim who is my partner in crime, and we are looking forward to our first hunting season in the great MT together.

if anyones open to an additional member of their bird hunting crew get at me !

hope everyone enjoys this year!

Joel
joelhenry000
hunter

Postby jcmontgo » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:29 pm

Howdy.....My family and I moved here (Twin Bridges area.....north of Dillon......east of Butte) from Prineville, OR and are happy to be back in the Rockies. I moved here with my wife, one year old girl, a crazy short hair, and a bored lab (Im looking to fix that.)
I live right on the Jefferson River and have been told the waterfowling can get pretty good....I plan on testing that out! I should probably big game hunt more but well you know how it goes....birds are more fun! Anyone wanting to partner up for a hunt or two anywhere in that state...gimmie a buzz. I have some knowhow, some dekes, and will hike through some serious crap to score a duck or a honker. Would love to hear from ya!
Cody
Season bird totals are for those who cannot see the forest for the trees. Count your good days, not your ducks.
"I'm not a good shot, but I shoot often"-Teddy Roosevelt
jcmontgo
hunter

Postby MT Black Dog » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:10 pm

Just Getting back in to waterfowl hunting after about a 8 year break. Between rasing kids and retiring our dog a few years got by me. I'm Back !

I have lived in the Bozeman area for 17 years. Grew up in the Midwest doing a lot of all kinds of hunting.

Going to figure it out all over again. :thumbsup:
MT Black Dog
Newb

Postby Curls-and-Bands » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:59 am

Hi everyone,
I'm out in good ole Choteau not far from Freezeout WMA and have lived here for 20 years. Went to college in Missoula and got my undergrad in Speech-Language Pathology. As I was quickly skimming through the posts in this thread, I was surprised to see so many from Missoula. I hate to say it, but I did not duck hunt at all while I was down there for almost 4 years! I moved back to Choteau about 3 years ago and I work with kids in the area schools doing speech therapy. During highschool, my passion was waterfowl hunting. I gradually moved from that I to big game hunting and haven't hunted birds all that much for the past 10 years or so but I've only missed one opening day in my 14 years of hunting. My youngest brother is 7 years younger than me and I took him with me hunting ducks way before he could even hunt. He is now in his freshman year of college in Bozeman. His obsession is hunting ducks and a few days ago I went out hunting with him and some of our buddies we few up with. They had found a honey hole a few miles out of town. Needless to say, they put me under 2000+ greenheads Friday morning and that lit a fire in me again. Kind of late in the season, I know but we are going to hit it hard while I'm still off for Christmas break and hopefully shoot some more greenheads! I'm excited to have found this site and hope to contribute as much as I can. I'm already dreading the long wait between the end of this season and the start of next season!
Curls-and-Bands
hunter

Postby R. Chapman » Tue May 13, 2014 11:39 pm

Rex here from the capital of the state. Mainly hunt alone but will hunt with others if they want to hop along.

Sent from the middle of nowhere.
Obummer's real name- Black Hussein Osama
R. Chapman
hunter

Postby slepe67 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:40 pm

Hey everyone!

I'm a 5th (or 6th) generation Montana (depends on who I talk to). I grew up in a small town southeast of Great Falls, spent a lot of time hunting deer, elk & game birds. In 1991, I joined the USAF & served for 22 yrs, 15 of that was in Air Force Special Operations Command, I was a gunner on MH-53 helicopters & AC-130U gunships; 8 deployments.

In 2004/2005, I managed to mess up my hack in a couple helicopter "mishaps" and realized that I wouldn't be hunting big game (elk) ever again; since FL doesnt have upland game birds, I figured it was time to learn how to hunt waterfowl!

I hunted wood ducks in the Eglin AFB Swamps, and had a great time. I actually couldnt remember how long it had been, so I logged in here to see: November 2007! OUCH!

My military life in USSOCOM was an incredible adventure, and I wouldn't trade a minute of it for anything; but on the flip side, I had little enough time for my family, let alone hunting. I hung up the rifles (eventually selling them off) and shotguns; cleaning them every so often, dreaming of the day I could get back to Montana to get outdoors.

On August 1st, 2014, I officially retired and moved back to Montana. I grew up in Great Falls, we stayed there a few weeks looking for work; but the wife got hired in Whitefish. We're now settled near Kalispell and I have been extremely lucky to find the house we did. It's time to LIVE LIFE!!!!

I just got my guns from my dad's place, and the movers dropped off all our stuff--more importantly: all my fishing and hunting gear! I've been brushing up on fly fishing and relearning how to be a civilian, an outdoorsman, and how to be a Montanan. I have to remind myself that the pace of life here is much slower than it was in Florida, and that is a GREAT thing!

Things have changed a LOT since I left in 1991. Areas I used to hunt are now "PRIVATE PROPERTY - KEEP OUT" or have been developed. Attitudes towards fishing and hunting access have also changed significantly. How sad. I guess that's my part as an outdoorsman: to ensure we do the right thing, educate those around us, and to keep a positive light on our hobby.

Anywho, I'm literally re-learning everything from scratch. I'll be on here asking dumb questions. Bare with me! I look forward to discussing things & meeting folks here in the forum!

SHOOT STRAIGHT & KEEP YOUR POWDER DRY!
slepe67
hunter

Postby Ducker406 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:47 pm

Hey everyone,

I just accepted a transfer to montana with my company and will be living in the north flathead valley starting at the end of october. Ive been hunting waterfowl on and off for the past 15 years. Never been one to get on hunting forums but figured id give this a shot since i dont know a single person in the area. Anyone out there willing to let me tag along or give me some tips on hunting in the valley? I have all the gear, im decent with a call(believe that less is more when it comes to calling), respectful to the land and game, and love spending time in the blind even when the birds dont fly. Im definitely looking forward to hunting and fishing in montana!

Thanks for reading,
-D
Ducker406
Newb

Postby Lawdog » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:57 am

Welcome guys.

~ 4 March 2013.
Lawdog
State Moderator

Postby PatrickC » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:43 pm

Hey Everyone, Patrick (and wife) here in Missoula. Both late 20's with day jobs. We've been big game and upland hunting the past few years. However, the only exposure to duck hunting so far has been jumping ditches at a friend's ranch. We are looking to expand our horizons and have more opportunities to explore the outdoors. The jon boat I bought to fish with came with a duck blind. "Bonus!" I thought. It has three shooting areas out of the blind and a spot for a dog to hop in and out of. And of course since it had a place for a dog, we acquired a yellow lab puppy this summer (15 weeks old now) and she's been progressing nicely through training. Our main goal is to have her flush grouse and occasionally retrieve a duck or two. We aren't that fly by the seat of our pants and the dog was in the works when we got the boat, it just all sort of fit into place.

So I'm on here to learn more about duck and goose hunting and meet some people in the area. If you have a young (or older) pup and need someone to train with it would be fun to get together. If you're looking for an extra person to hunt with or just want to use me for my boat I'm game.
PatrickC
Newb

Previous

Return to Montana Duck Hunting