How about a bio

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Postby fun4jake » Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:28 pm

Welcome. That makes 3 of us that currently live in Butte. We should get together sometime to meet.
fun4jake
hunter

Postby HaydenHunter » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:23 pm

I live in the Idaho Panhandle but spend a lot of time in Montana for work. Every year I plan to get a MT license to hunt with all the customers and friends who ask me to go with them...but I never have done it. Maybe this is the year.

I am in Montana this week and have seen some nice flocks of snows and honkers up in the area between Great Falls and Helena. Now I am in Billings and saw a few birds on the Yellowstone but not great numbers. It's cooler here this week and I guess we can all hope that some birds might start trickling down from Canada.

I do most all my waterfowling in the Idaho Panhandle next to Western MT. I have a huge BLM named Hoss that is in his second year and is really getting with the program. I have always hunted over other peoples dogs but training Hoss and watching him slowly turn on to his potential has been a true thrill.

We hunt about 90% of the time from our boat blinds; otherwise we use the boats for transport and construct ground blinds. Will also start using a layout blind this year.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby fun4jake » Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:03 pm

good to see ya on our forum Haydenhunter. Sounds like business brings you to our state so stop in and say hi to one of us once in a while. We are in most towns on the west and some on the east.
fun4jake
hunter

Postby inthelips » Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:37 am

Okay, this is my very first post in this website, although like nemont, I have been poking around here a bit. For the past several years any extra time I have had has been hunting or fishing, and not on the computer. But this winter is going to be a bit more open for me, so I will hopefully be able jump in and join in on some of the discussions going on here.

Originally I am from north central Illinois and grew up hunting ducks, geese, and roosters, pretty much out my back door. I moved to MT in 1998 after an 11 stint in Park City (utah). I have been shooting birds for just over 30 years and ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!!!

I live outside of Bozeman with my wife and two youg boys. BUT, (praise the Lord), my wonderful wife is a 3rd generation Miles City girl! That is not why we got married (of course), but it sure is a great benefit. :toofunny:

I get out there more and more, and really love it! It is nice because of my wife's ties in the area getting access has never been a problem. :thumbsup: And actually we are heading out there again this weekend to visit our brand new nephew (wink wink).

I have been bird hunting all over the state and just love it. If you ever see the tan 4-door ford with a big white cargo trailer behind be sure to honk, and we can make a set together for sure. :salude:

Thank you to everyone on this site and to those who manage it!
inthelips
hunter

Another Newbie to Montana!!!

Postby pmahler » Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:22 pm

I just moved to Montana from Memphis, TN but was born & raised in Minnesota. I am a DIE HARD duck hunter, there is nothing better. I have been hunting since I was about 12 & just turned 29. I live in Missoula & have been most successful North of Missoula but am looking to find some places south, east or westward. I am also always looking for somebody to hit up the duck blind with as I dont know a ton of people in town & although I like hunting solo w/my yellow lab wouldn't mind some company. My dog is just 2.5 yrs old & has about 45 retreives under this belt thus far this year...he might like duckin' more than I do. This is an awesome sit & forum...adios!!!
pmahler
hunter

Postby quackpipe » Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:18 pm

I am here for the comedy.
Last edited by quackpipe on Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
quackpipe
hunter

Postby montana quackhead » Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:18 pm

I live in Missoula and love some quack! I indulge in quack every morning and cannot get enough of the crap! Almost every morning, I'm up at 5 in the mornin', preparing for the quack roast. Once sunrise hits, me and quackpipe go to town. We love to drop them ducks out of the sky and shoot em' up! So far the last couple of weeks, my quack addiction has gotten really bad. My favorite quack is the teal or widgeon strain, but sometimes I like to indulge in the bluebill/goldeneye strain. Both make me happy. Anyway, just havin' a fun and good time, hunting the quack in Western MT!!
Give me some quack and I'll never work again
montana quackhead
hunter

Postby Big Montana » Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:12 pm

I'm from Butte and am ready to smash some fowl now that the elk season's over. How's the season been so far?
Big Montana
Newb

Postby orsalak » Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:51 pm

Hello
I am living in Bozeman now but I grew up in NJ. (I know, I know :eek:)
I went to school at MSU graduated May 06 and guide fishing in West Yellowstone for the last 8 years. I mostly hunt the rivers in and around the Gallatin Valley. I hunt a few times a week and have recently found some great places but I had to work for them (whats new huh). I found this site out while looking for help hunting in NJ while I was back visiting family. I hope to meet you guys and shoot some ducks together.
Rob
Last edited by orsalak on Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
My gun has killed less people then Ted Kennedy's car
orsalak
hunter

Postby Force Fetch » Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:14 pm

We have needed a site like this, glad I found it a few weeks ago. So far from all the posts I have read I am the "Old Guy" on the MT. DH site.
I am a life long waterfowl hunter that moved to Montana in 1971 after a three year Senior trip, to fulfill a big game hunting pioneer dream, and hunt I did for ten successful years. One day I woke up sold the horses, bought some more dekes and the rest is history until my wife took up big game hunting for a few years.
I grew up in NJ on the Raritan Bay, and hunted from Long Island Sound to the Little Egg Harbor Bay, Absicon Marsh, and any place I could fool a duck or Goose. We still had an Atlantic Brant season when I started hunting. I still go back to hunt Greater Snow Geese near Asbury Park every few years.
I have watched Mt go from selling almost 17,000 migratory bird stamps to less than 10,000 in the years I have been here and never found hunting crowded. Maybe because in 78 I bought a jet pump for my 35 Johnson.
Lets not brag too much on this site as we could let the BIG SECRET out. Montana has more than Deer Elk and other big game. I was hunting when Montana really held some ducks in the 80's and you couldn't find another hunter on the marsh except for you and people you knew.
Thanks to the moderator and all the rest of my fellow waterfowlers, it is nice to see new people keeping the spirit alive.
In the off season settle down with something by Heilner, Hocobaum,Evans and the other died in the wool W/F's and enjoy.
Support the Unlimited's and Delta Waterfowl they will give us the raw material to persue our sport. Go Well Wayne
W. P. Stegmeier
Force Fetch
hunter

Billings

Postby Lawdog » Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:43 pm

Howdy guys. I live in the Billings area and hunt ducks whenever I can. I've only been doing it a few years, but I love it. A friend started me waterfowling in 2001 or so and I've never looked back.

I've hunted all over eastern MT and someday hope to make it to Canada and to Stuttgart.

Love the site.
Rest in Peace, Ryder. Boy, you went before your time, in the start of your prime. You were loyal and are missed.

~ 4 March 2013.
Lawdog
State Moderator

Postby electricgoose » Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:04 am

I have been in Billings for 3 yrs, the last 2 working for myself. I would consider myself a quackaholic, but like everyone else there is never enough time. I have two older trained retrievers and a very wonderful and tolerant wife. I appreciate a good duck/goose call but am lacking in natural ability.
electricgoose
Newb

Postby RJ4fun » Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:49 pm

Hey all, Ive been living in Montana for about six years now, and my 12 year old son and i have the waterfowl fever, we live in Helena and we love it here, but havnt had a whole lot of success hunting in this area, we do go to Freeze out two or three times a year, and have had some success there, any suggestion were else might be a good place for us?? plus it would be great to hook up with guys who like hunting as much as we do
RJ4fun
Newb

Postby Fredito » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:09 pm

Welcome to the forum RJ
Fredito
hunter

Postby wickedmfer » Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:32 am

Hey guys first post here. Great site and good to find some fowl brothers. I have been bird hinting for 30 years now and get just as excited today as I did then. I love watching my dog work. My kid about wet herself at the flush of some huns yesterday, LOL. I live in Three Forks, and am always on the hunt for some good places to throw some dekes. Not as many duck hunters around here as I would have thought. Hard to find buddies to go with. I always have ?'s and am excited to find you guys. Anyone wants to go chase some birds, drop me a line.
wickedmfer
hunter

Postby Will_Hunt_4_Food » Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:28 pm

My name is John and my family and I moved to Polson, MT from Iowa about 4 years ago and have been loving every minute of it. I was first introduced to hunting through waterfowl hunting and it has been down hill ever since!!!! :lol: I had not been duck or goose hunting in about 3 years. I guess I lost the fire for it since I moved away from all of my hunting buddies. This year I decided I was going to dust off the decoys and the calls and get back into the water. Man..I can't believe how much I missed it!!!! I have had one of the best seasons I have had in a long time. Anyway...not much else to say right now so if ya want to know more you are going to have to ask. God Bless!!!
God...Family...the outdoors...the rest is just details.
Will_Hunt_4_Food
hunter

Postby Sapper » Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:36 pm

More Butte duck hunters than I remember!

I serve in the Army here in NC but I went to school in Butte at Tech. I grew up in OR, some time in NV and have lived all over. My two favorite places in the world are AK where I spent 4 years and MT.

I often toss and turn at night wondering where I should retire. I really liked Ak but those winters are real hard. I like the MT winters much better and the diversity. Great people too.

I had so many wonderful hunts on the various rivers, spring creeks and lakes. My best duck hunt ever was in MT where a buddy of mine and I killed 14 green heads in 32 minutes over deeks!

I can retire now but I think I will work a bit more on my finances and retire with a bit "dough, ray, me" so I can live a bit better.

I got 3 boys a brand new daughter who was born while I was in Iraq and a wife that loves to shoot ducks. I just bought her a new Citori for duck wacking. My boys love to go as well but only one is old enough to shoot.

I love to tie flies, chase trout, bow hunt and do just about anything else outside.

AK, MT, AK, MT, Ak, MT - choices are so hard. I know, I need to become independently wealthy so I can live in both places!

go Miners!
Live Free or Die
Sapper
hunter

Moving

Postby Wally Helus » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:56 am

Live in Alabama now, thinking of moving to montana, wondering how the duck hunting was around Bozeman-livingston area.

Thanks,
Wally in Bama
Wally Helus
Newb

Postby matt87 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:38 pm

Originally from Southwestern Alaska, and most recently from Bigfork MT. However, now for the past three years I have been a student at the University of Montana. I love duck and goose hunting, mostly of the jumpshooting variety. I couldnt be more disappointed that the season is over. I usually go around the Flathead as this is where my dad goes, but have been searching for places nearer to Missoula (any help would be fantastic). I miss my Chocolate Lab and Brittany Spaniel, which unfortunately stayed in Bigfork with my pops. Looking forward to this summer when my dad's lab will hopefully be giving birth, so i can get a pup of my own, and my brother and I dont have to keep swimming into the river after wily geese!
matt87
hunter

Postby Montanafowler » Wed May 14, 2008 8:50 pm

well, i currently live in southwest idaho, i am graduating this week but am moving to bozeman sometime between feb-june 2009 to attend MSU (want to be a wildife biologist). I'm also going because of the vast beauty and freedom found there. I hunt ducks and other birds but will probably get a chest freezer for big game once i get out there.
Booney3721 wrote:Try being a dishwasher/Grill cook/ellectrition/garbage disposer and your owner/boss is a fat greek woman who cals you names as Retard, stupid, idiot, molocah, f*** face and tard, and tells you that you was the inspiration for abortion and birth control.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Re: How about a bio

Postby Johnnieboat » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:41 am

Howdy all . I have been in Montana 15 years now. Grew up in western Colorado. Been hunting ducks fer 30 years now. Wow, that's how long it's been? Hmmm I guess I am getting old. Have two black labs. One is in semi retirement with an ACL repair that is not working out, and a 5 month old male that is from pointing lab lines. We'll see how bad I screw this up. :yes: Anyway, I live near Huntley outside of Billings and hunt the rivers around here. I have 16' jon jetboat that I usually hunt out of. Nice meeting you all. John
Johnnieboat
hunter

Postby duckfool18 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:44 pm

Right now i live in washington. Next fall i will be at Montana State University in bozeman. Looking forward to getting out of washington and moving over to bozeman. Im really excited for hunting season next year! anybody at msu on this board let me know if you want to hunt sometime next year.
duckfool18
hunter

Postby Wild Bob » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:49 pm

Greetings all, I just relocated to Glasgow Montana from Tennessee. I grew up duck and goose hunting in upstate New York along the Hudson River. Then I spent the next 17 years waterfowl hunting around Tennessee. I love to waterfowl hunt, and it has always been a favorite of mine. I am looking forward to exploring the waterfowl hunting in this great state!
Wild Bob
hunter

Location: Some where east of the continental divide but west of Roughrider Country

Postby phutch30 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:47 pm

There goes the site. Wild Bob found it. LOL
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby Wild Bob » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:44 am

HA! I promise I'll lay low and keep my face down man!!!! :tongue:

Hey nice pics of the paddlefishing by the way! Trying to get set up to chase all these walleye over here...
Wild Bob
hunter

Location: Some where east of the continental divide but west of Roughrider Country

PreviousNext

Return to Montana Duck Hunting