How about a bio

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Re: How about a bio

Postby RNT~DuckCaller » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:42 pm

Hey guys. My name is Cameron Pav and I just moved to billings back in DEC. I am 20 yrs old and Joined the national guard here and now work at sportsmans warehouse. Not really into anything other than bird hunting and a little bit of fishing. Counting down the days till the fun starts!
RNT~DuckCaller
hunter

Postby GThomp » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:35 pm

I'm originally from VA, and after a 2 year stint at a college in Pennsylvania i transferred to montana state. Looking to tear em up this season up here, so hit me up if you're looking for a scouting buddy or something in the Bozeman area. My msu e-mail is george.thompson1@msu.montana.edu, or PM me on this forum. I am also on the Ducks Unlimited forum with the same name if you guys are on that much.
GThomp
hunter

Postby DryDuck » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:49 pm

Hey Guys, I'm new to the site and new to Duck hunting. I shot one duck (a wood duck) on my first duck huntin trip in 2001 when I lived in Tenn. I live near Cascade, and was raised in GTF. I figured duck huntin is good choice for me considering my location. However, I do have a few obsticles to overcome. My wife is VERY allergic to dogs. :sad: But I figure I can overcome that with a little creativity. Anyways, I have alot to learn about the sport, and about DH in Montana. Any tips you guys can give me will be welcomed greatly. Thanks.
DD.
DryDuck
Newb

Postby olivebugger » Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:24 pm

My name's Nate and I've been in Great Falls for a little over a year. I'm stll a bona fide novice, but on the verge of obsessive compulsive at this point. I mostly goose hunt given the lack of a dog, but I would like to meet some folks who hunt ducks and upland birds. I took almost no time off this year since the end of last season and I will have 14 days of paid vacation by November :grooving: Hope everyone has a great season.
olivebugger
hunter

Postby montanimal » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:45 pm

Im new to the sight so this is a good thread to start posting on. I live in Missoula, Ive been here for seven years. I moved here from Kansas where i learned to hunt ducks on public refuges in KS and Missouri. When I moved here I wasn't sure what to expect as far as waterfowl hunting. I have found that the hunting in Western Montana can be SICK assuming you do your homework. :hammer: This state rocks.
montanimal
hunter

Postby wingnutty » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:17 pm

Been a member here for a number of years, just never got around to posting on this thread.

Grew up in Hamilton, hunted the spring creeks in the valley until they got bought up and locked up. Went to school in Bozo and had some great shoots there. Then went to Wisconsin for 3-4 years for grad school, hunted hard there but wow, didn't know how good we had it here. Then moved to SE Idaho for a couple years and had lights-out mallard shooting, unbelievable. Moved to NE MT a year ago and am loving it. No people and more hunting ground than I can cover in a lifetime. I normally hunt ducks ~50-60 days/year and throw a healthy dose of upland into the mix as well. This site is a nice way to connect with other nut-cases :hi:
wingnutty
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:21 pm

about time
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby lightonthebay » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:11 pm

My name is Jim. I live in Basin MT (between Helena and Butte). I have not duck hunted since I was a kid 25 years ago. I would like to get back into hunting because I have the time now. I have a deutsch drahthaarr (GWP) who is a bit over one year. She does not retrieve yet but I am attempting to train her to force fetch. I am looking to go hunting with someone who knows how to hunt (call ducks). I have about two dozen decoys, waders, a living quarters horse trailer (for breaks from the blind) and I pay my own way and then some.

Drop me a PM if you would like to go duck/goose hunting with a begginer.

Jim
lightonthebay
Newb

Postby mallardmarine » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:28 pm

Name is Gene and I live in Billings, new to Montana and never plan on leaving. Did a 21 year tour with the Marine Corps and retired end of May 2009. My primary specialty was M1A1Tanks (can't shoot ducks with it) but if dinosaurs were still around it would be possible to hunt teridactiles. I am looking for a new career so I can buy more guns, decoys, blinds, gear, four wheelers, and boats. I spent a few years in Louisiana and hunted ducks like mad crazy! I met a friend here and he has access you the Yellowstone so we built a nice natural blind and generally our spread is a small but productive with a couple dozen floaters, a few full bodies and a couple mojos. So far I have taken about 20 ducks this year mostly Mallards and Teal no Pintails or Canvasbacks yet. I enjoy shooting and just about anything in the woods or water! Looking for water fowling, hunting, and fishing friends in Montana. I have 2 yellow Labs but only hunt one my youngest a female named Autumn Thunder Storm, my older lab a male Copper Thunder Storm (Uncle) has a bit of arthritis now so the hunts cold gets hard on him :bow:
mallardmarine
Newb

Postby CSUSalmo » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:16 pm

My name is Daniel, and I've been flyfishing for years, but I just got into duck hunting last year and I'm hooked. Nothing better than an early morning on the water with some wings whistling overhead. I've been working on my calling and have already had some success over my dozen-duck spread this year. Heading out again tomorrow to see if I can meet up with a few quackers and a honker or two.
I just moved to Billings a month now after working as a wildland firefighter in Idaho this summer, and I love this town so far. I'm working a few jobs, including as a substitute teacher, but whenever I'm off I'm taking the pontoon boat, fly rods, shotgun, dekes, or whatever is necessary and heading to some river or pond. I'd love to find some company to do that with, so feel free to shoot me a message. I'll definitely split gas and toss in a sixer or two for good post-hunt libations.
CSUSalmo
Newb

Postby Meltzy » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:43 pm

Hey Everyone.

I am a Montana native. Born in Missoula. Family origninally homsteaded in Dagmar.

My friends call me Meltz for short. I live in Bozeman and love hunting all varieties of waterfowl. I hunt big water with a buddy that has a boat. I also hunt little honey holes on the rivers around Bozangeles.

Even though Lee Metcalf can be a chore (or a bore) at times, I still love it because I sort of grew up waterfowling there. Plus Metcalf gave my dad his appointment to the USNA.

I have a Black Lab named Fletcher that is now 12 and blind as a bat. I got him his last bird on Canyon Ferry in 2008. I basically had to walk out to the bird with him. He was proud as punch once he had in in is mouth though. Can't even think of replacing him yet - but need to start considering my options.

By no means am I an expert waterfowler - plenty to learn here.

This forum is great.
Meltzy
Meltzy
hunter

Postby mtquackstacker » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:21 pm

I've lived in Montana my whole life and started duck hunting with my dad around 4 years old. Even though I couldn't shoot i went. Something about gettin outta bed at 4 in the morning and bein out on the water freezing with the dog caught me by some kind of magic I still dont understand. I am a highschool kid. I go to Great Falls High and try to get out as much as i can but football makes that hard. I've been hunting for about 6 years and plan on duck hunting as long as the lord will allow me.
mtquackstacker
hunter

Postby forrestfromarkansas » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:21 pm

my name is forrest, i'm originally from arkansas hence the sn. just moved up to missoula last spring. i row a boat, people cast dries, that's how i pay for my steel bill in the winter. guided down in arkansas for trout, ducks, turkey, and the occassional dilla'.
my first montana hunt was in fort peck was confusing as there weren't any trees to hide behind and there was no need of a mud buddy. i've since learned that scratching bellies on hardwood tops is not essential to the vitality of a greenhead. my dog gator has also learned and enjoys the art of form tackling wounded honkers, but still doesn't quite understand that objects tend to stay in motion on the ice. that's about it. i'm new and always up for shootin or giggin something so if you get bored give the old pm and you don't have to twist my arm to hard to get me in a blind. do not pm me for ice fishing trips. a. its cruel and unusual to someone of southern heritage b. i won't go c. as a reprocussion i will probably piss on your mailbox handle.
forrestfromarkansas
hunter

Postby RMC Hunter » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:30 pm

My name is Rob, first time poster. Grew up in Southeastern Michigan where the waterfowling was tough and am now a sophomore at Rocky Mountain College in Billings. Came West for better flyfishing, pheasant and duck hunting, and maybe an education if I can find time. Fell in love with Montana and this is my first hunting season.

Without a dog for this season (but not next :smile: ) I have been pretty restricted to places where I can wade to retrieve downed birds, so I have spent a lot of time on the Bighorn. Got wet a few times and can't wait to have a dog next year, but with only a dozen hot buy mallards and some cheap camo and shells on my college budget I managed limits a few times this year and my poor shooting held me back many other times.

Still waiting to find someone as crazy about duck hunting as I am as a hunting partner, or even just a newbie to learn the tricks along with me and my new pup next year.
RMC Hunter
Newb

Postby OregonDawgFan » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:25 am

Hi, my name is John. I'm a junior in high school in central Oregon right now. Born and raised here. I've been hunting upland and turkey my whole life, and just started waterfowl this year. Learing something new and useful about it each day. I'm looking to go to school somewhere in Montana, to major in secondary education. I'd like to teach science or history. Football and trackster. But my whole life revolves around my family, fishing the mountains in the summer, chasing game in the fall or the winter, and thinking about all of the above in the spring. If I end up going to school in Mt, I plan on spending all the time I can hunting and fishing and getting aquainted with the land, while maintaining my grades, if that's even possible. :huh: You can google map and topo the hell out of something, but it still doesn't compare to being there. Spent my last summer chasing brookies and grayling around the upper Big Hole, while looking at Western. Its probably my #1school, and one of the most affordable, and it is a teachers college, so it may be my fit. I still have a while before anything is set in stone though.
OregonDawgFan
hunter

Postby riley1717 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:50 pm

Have a great season !
Last edited by riley1717 on Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
riley1717
Newb

Postby Troutslayer » Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:45 pm

riley1717 wrote: Would like to be part of a duck club or duck lease if possible.

You will fit right in out here with all the other out of staters who think they can substitute money for skill.

[edited by Mod]
Last edited by Lawdog on Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: manners
Troutslayer
hunter

Postby Bulldog0156 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:35 pm

Hey, I'm Nate, I am new to the forum and Montana. I started duck hunting last fall; my roommates got me hooked and I've been looking forward to this fall for a while now. I'm living in Helena and looking for someone to hunt with if I end up working out here this fall. I don't have a boat or dog, but am more than willing to put in time and money on the weekends to do some scouting. If anyone is interested in hunting with me, let me know.
Bulldog0156
hunter

Duck Hunting

Postby riley1717 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:23 pm

Fall is in the air.. Don't know if I can wait for the season here may head to Canada!
Last edited by riley1717 on Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
riley1717
Newb

Postby Lawdog » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:32 pm

Welcome to both of you, Bulldog and Riley.
Rest in Peace, Ryder. Boy, you went before your time, in the start of your prime. You were loyal and are missed.

~ 4 March 2013.
Lawdog
State Moderator

Postby wingnutty » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:22 pm

As far as skills I have 25 years of waterfowling under my belt. HAve hunted from the artic circle down to argentina. Have won several duck and goose calling competitions and have been a professional guide. Have been featured on a few tv shows on waterfowling and have trained a handful of great retrievers. Would be happy to give you some pointers

In addition to my aforementioned laundry list, I'm awful good at tooting my own horn! :lol: :bow:

In all seriousness, welcome to the forum, but I think you will quickly find that most folks on here aren't impressed by your waterfowling credentials. Most of us are strong advocates of public access and are dead-against whoring our our waterfowling to big money. Yes there are lots of places to hunt, but they shrink every year and 90% of that is directly related to newcomers, money and greed. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but don't come on here and advocate leasing property, ect and not expect some rebutal.
wingnutty
hunter

Postby Troutslayer » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:47 pm

riley1717 wrote:Nice welcome. Waterfowl hunting is supposed to be fun. So are most the guys I know that hunt for them. I read many of your posts and your very much ready to argue. Remember we as hunters are on the same team. I was just hoping to get in with some guys that had a nice place leased that a guy could build a nice blind and store some decoys instead you come back with a child like comment.

As far as skills I have 25 years of waterfowling under my belt. HAve hunted from the artic circle down to argentina. Have won several duck and goose calling competitions and have been a professional guide. Have been featured on a few tv shows on waterfowling and have trained a handful of great retrievers. Would be happy to give you some pointers.

Maybe some time in the field with me would calm you down a bit.

Cheer up Trout ther are more than enough places to hunt.

You're in for a rude awakening. We actually have to work for ducks out here, not bait them to a lease by growing crops we never harvest. You seem to think pretty highly of yourself, hope that works out for you.
Troutslayer
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:48 pm

WHat the HELL BEN Why the heck did you tell me to by all that cracked corn then???????

LOL Actually Ben ( Troutslayer) is a pretty good mellow guy. Welcome to MT. There are lots of good places to hunt here, its just the last few years there have been some a-holes that have ruffled feathers and have some of us riled up. If you dont ask for hotspots or places to lease youll fit right in. It just seems like latly the initiation has been rough. Some is worse than others just ask Pete Mahler and some others that hunt with me. Like someone said last winter "the price of green is pretty high". LOL I still laugh at that one. If you can put up with tall hairy naked men standing on a gravel bar in Jan than your welcome in my boat anytime....but I hope you know how to run one cause my other buddies were just going to let me drown.
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby PTROOFER FTFOWLER » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:46 am

[quote="riley1717"
I was just hoping to get in with some guys that had a nice place leased that a guy could build a nice blind and store some decoys instead you come back with a child like comment.

Do I want to get involved in this conversation or not? Same old stuff all the time with these guys. As far as the quote above goes I have a couple of places where I have built a blind and store some decoys on private property. Don't lease the place and it is open to whoever asks and treats the rancher decently. Fortunatly for me not to many guys treat him decently. Now if this place were to go to a lease situation, I could not afford to pay the lease and I would be out of one of my long time hunting spots. See how this offends us native's? Hunting in this state has been going on for generations with no need to lease and lock up land, and it has worked for everyone, once the leasing wars start it won't stop and a lot of good hard working folks will be left out in the cold. Instead of trying to jump on the bandwagon why not do it the old fashion way and scout some birds, knock on some doors and cultivate some relationships? In the long run you will feel alot better about your yearlong relationship with the landowners than when you just drop off a check at the beginning of the season. I killed 145 ducks, 110 geese, 6 deer, 2 antelope, 41 pheasants and some grouse last year and never paid a dime to anyone. Don't ask me about the bull I missed, I am blocking that out of my mind.
I'm the type of guy who "cups" his hand over his butt, farts, and dishes it out like a soup kitchen.
PTROOFER FTFOWLER
hunter

Postby montanadogs » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:13 am

Hey, Name is Bryan. I moved into the Great Falls Area Oct. 09 form Minot, ND. I'm originally from the Flathead Valley area. I joined the Air Force at the rip old age of 20. I've held my Montana residency my whole life and am glad to finally be able to get back to my home state. I started waterfowl hunting about 5 years ago in ND. When we 1st moved there I bought a lab read every book there was on training and got a dog that is decent in the field. Since then I've got 2 more labs, one I trained and sold, and the other is still a work in progress. I'm married with 2 little girls ages 3 and 1. I'm still trying to learn the ropes on hunting rivers. I've got tons of experience in field hunting, pot holes, and large water with diver spreads. My 1st 3 years I think I missed a total of 15 days of waterfowl in ND. Then we had our 1st kid and that kind of put a stop to hunting as much. I'm always looking forward to meeting and hunting with new people. I'm always willing to learn something new.
montanadogs
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Montana Duck Hunting