Turkeys

From big game to target practice to 3d shoots

Moderators: LaRedneck, birddog crazy, buffleheadnc2

Turkeys

Postby buffleheadnc2 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:11 am

Anyone gonna try a turkey with the bow this season? If so PLEASE take pics for the forum!
User avatar
buffleheadnc2
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 424
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:06 pm
Location: NC


Postby Preacher1011 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:51 am

I've been hunting them 4 years and still don't have one with a shotgun. That should change this year now that I'm off public land though.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.


jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?


Image
User avatar
Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 8467
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:14 pm
Location: Blount County, TN

Postby GroundSwatter » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:14 am

Image

I think I posted this in the fall, but this was one of thirty unsuspecting Hens that came close to my deer stand. I don't like shooting hens, but I had an Any Sex Tag and had never shot a turkey with a bow so couldn't pass it up.

I'm going to fill my first spring tag with a shotgun, then we'll see about my second tag.[/img]
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
User avatar
GroundSwatter
hunter
 
Posts: 3643
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:22 pm
Location: GTMO from NE Texas

Postby birddog crazy » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:32 am

I have shot a few of turkeys in the fall, I am going to take the bow out more than likely on opening day.
birddogs rule and all the rest drool, for birddogs love you for you and do not ask for anything in return but love so hug your birddog
birddog crazy
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 435
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: Missouri

Re: Turkeys

Postby CALLEMQUACKTN » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:22 pm

I will be trying to get #10 with the bow this spring. I have killed 3 in the fall & 6 in the spring. I will see if I can find some pics to post.
CALLEMQUACKTN
hunter
 
Posts: 533
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:47 pm
Location: NORMANDY, TN.

Re: Turkeys

Postby birddog crazy » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:12 pm

I have taken a ton of turkeys with shotguns, love it , but the thrill of pulling on on a turkey with a bow is alot more fun
birddogs rule and all the rest drool, for birddogs love you for you and do not ask for anything in return but love so hug your birddog
birddog crazy
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 435
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: Missouri

Re: Turkeys

Postby Sodapop » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:44 pm

What broadhead are you using?
User avatar
Sodapop
hunter
 
Posts: 282
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:43 am
Location: Happy Valley, CA

Re: Turkeys

Postby jehler » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:01 am

My son wants to try turkey with his bow this year, he shoots a montec 85 grain very well out to about 25 yards ...where do I tell him to aim?? center of mass, wing joint area?
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
User avatar
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy
 
Posts: 17516
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:52 pm
Location: Traverse City, MI

Re: Turkeys

Postby Preacher1011 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:10 am

You might think I'm joking here,but the best target on a turkey is it's poop hole. It gives you a point to aim for instead of having to pick a feather or anything like that. Unless you want him taking the head off one with a Guilitene. :eek: Anywho if you need more ideas here's a shot placement guide:
Image
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.


jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?


Image
User avatar
Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 8467
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:14 pm
Location: Blount County, TN

Re: Turkeys

Postby jehler » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:12 am

Preacher1011 wrote:You might think I'm joking here,but the best target on a turkey is it's poop hole. It gives you a point to aim for instead of having to pick a feather or anything like that. Unless you want him taking the head off one with a Guilitene. :eek: Anywho if you need more ideas here's a shot placement guide:
Image

thanks preach, he is good with the montecs and I don't know if they make a guillotine in 85 grains, if they did how in the hell do you practice with them?
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
User avatar
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy
 
Posts: 17516
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:52 pm
Location: Traverse City, MI

Re: Turkeys

Postby Preacher1011 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:38 pm

They don't make them in 85 as far as I know. If I were you I'd just go ahead and bump him up to 100 grains anyway. You'll get better penetration on game (weight plays more into penetration than speed) and you can find a 100 grain in any broadhead. I've heard they fly just like field points but I'd shoot one just to be sure, I have no idea how with blades that big they don't plane. Usually with turkeys you want a broadhead that has a little bigger cutting diameter to limit penetration anyway. If you shoot one through the wing you ideally don't want it to zip right through, you want it to pin the wing so it can't fly. That being said that new Rage with a 2" cutting diameter should be good for turkey. There are also a few broadheads specifically designed for turkey, I know NAP makes a Spitfire version and there are a few others. I'd go on Bass Pro and look a few up and see what the reviews say.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.


jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?


Image
User avatar
Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 8467
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:14 pm
Location: Blount County, TN

Re: Turkeys

Postby jehler » Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:48 pm

Preacher1011 wrote:They don't make them in 85 as far as I know. If I were you I'd just go ahead and bump him up to 100 grains anyway. You'll get better penetration on game (weight plays more into penetration than speed) and you can find a 100 grain in any broadhead. I've heard they fly just like field points but I'd shoot one just to be sure, I have no idea how with blades that big they don't plane. Usually with turkeys you want a broadhead that has a little bigger cutting diameter to limit penetration anyway. If you shoot one through the wing you ideally don't want it to zip right through, you want it to pin the wing so it can't fly. That being said that new Rage with a 2" cutting diameter should be good for turkey. There are also a few broadheads specifically designed for turkey, I know NAP makes a Spitfire version and there are a few others. I'd go on Bass Pro and look a few up and see what the reviews say.

preach we ended up getting him the spitfire expandables for turkey in 100 grain. they shoot just like his feildpoints. we have a 10" x 10" kick and shoot target and he has been pinning the center on every shot under 30 yards, the little shite is out shooting his old man with that new truth 2 bow :no:
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
User avatar
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy
 
Posts: 17516
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:52 pm
Location: Traverse City, MI

Re: Turkeys

Postby Preacher1011 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:44 pm

Has the old man tried shooting the Truth 2?
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.


jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?


Image
User avatar
Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 8467
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:14 pm
Location: Blount County, TN

Re: Turkeys

Postby jehler » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:23 am

Ya, i don't like it as much as my mine, I have a diamond liberty, it's a little old, but it is real smooth and quiet.
he has been shooting non-stop since he's got it, that kick and shoot target works good, he is starting to know his range like the back of his hand
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
User avatar
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy
 
Posts: 17516
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:52 pm
Location: Traverse City, MI

Re: Turkeys

Postby berettaguy17 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:16 am

steelforce also makes a broadhead designed for turkeys. the have forward facing blades on the edges. they look like hooks. they are meant to tear and pull feathers and such. look them up they seem like they would work good.
Why not shoot all 3 shots, they make more shells everyday.
User avatar
berettaguy17
hunter
 
Posts: 663
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:35 pm
Location: ottawa, illinois


Return to Archery

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests