New to archery.

From big game to target practice to 3d shoots

Moderators: LaRedneck, birddog crazy, buffleheadnc2

New to archery.

Postby dogsbestfriend2 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:47 pm

So I am thinking about taking up archery for deer and anything else. I was looking at a crossbow since the state I am moving to allows you to hunt with them also because the last time I tried to fire a compound bow (8 years ago) my bad shoulder was giving me problems. But, I have been reading about advance in compounds and that now the norm is a 80% let off at full draw. So I figure I will have no problem holding it at full draw. But, I am confused about all the tech with bows.

Could someone please recommend a quality bow for around $500 or less. I am 6ft 215lb so I was figureing 50-60lbs would be a good bow. I have see packages for bows but it seems like it is better to buy the bow and add everything else to it. I am just looking for a base to start out on. I figure after I get a idea of some good bows I will go to a shop and check them out. Also I am a lefty.

Thanks.
2008/2009 Tally
Hunts 18
Ducks 86
Widgeon 34
Pintail 8
Gadwall 10
Mallards 13
Spoony 2
Ruddy 1
GW Teal 4
Bufflehead 9
BlueBills 4
Comon Golden Eye 3
Dogs Retrieves 120 ducks 1 goose
dogsbestfriend2
hunter

Re: New to archery.

Postby Waterfowlhammer » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:36 am

I would say to go and just check out a bow shop and see what they have to offer you. Shoot a variety of bows and choose the one that fits you. They are making lots of changes in the new technology. Hope that helps you out
Waterfowlhammer
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:13 am

Are you wanting us to recommend a crossbow or compound?

For compound, I'd look into the Bear Lights Out. Great bow and it retails for 329 here at Gander Mountain. I always figure on about another 150 bucks to get it all setup.

For a crossbow, I'd spend a little more and get a Ten Point or Excalibur of some sort. The Ten Point Titian TL-7 retails for 599 and it's a good xbow. As for Excalibur, we don't sell them so I don't know much about them other than they are really great crossbows. Either way you can't go wrong. Everyone that owns and excalibur loves it.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby dogsbestfriend2 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:29 pm

Preacher1011 wrote:Are you wanting us to recommend a crossbow or compoud?

I was wanting a recommendation on a compound bow. I am new and kinda of lost on all the cams, draw length and other things that go on with a bow. That is why I was looking at cross bows but, have decide it will be better to just go ahead and get a compound and learn something new.
2008/2009 Tally
Hunts 18
Ducks 86
Widgeon 34
Pintail 8
Gadwall 10
Mallards 13
Spoony 2
Ruddy 1
GW Teal 4
Bufflehead 9
BlueBills 4
Comon Golden Eye 3
dogsbestfriend2
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:59 pm

Like I said, it's hard to beat that Bear Lights Out for a start up bow. Real short axle to axle length and really forgiving since it has an 8" brace height. It IBO's around 300 fps on 70lbs but you can get them with 60lb limbs and take it down to 50lbs if you want.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby duckschooler » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:13 pm

I'd go to http://www.huntersfriend.com/bowselection.htm look around and read everything made my choice easier.
#flock'em
duckschooler
hunter

Postby dogsbestfriend2 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:24 am

I have previous read that but, am still confused. I have been use to guns my entire life but, am trying to get into archery. Plus, I do not know of anyone around that hunts archery. I am a member of a sportsmens club here and there are 3 members that use archery to hunt.

Thanks for the tip on the Bear Lights out. I have located a archery shop close and am going to head over there and get some hands on. I guess it is the same as everything else got to get my hands on it to get familar with it.
2008/2009 Tally
Hunts 18
Ducks 86
Widgeon 34
Pintail 8
Gadwall 10
Mallards 13
Spoony 2
Ruddy 1
GW Teal 4
Bufflehead 9
BlueBills 4
Comon Golden Eye 3
dogsbestfriend2
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:40 pm

Exactly we could spend hours telling you what you should check out or buy or really what we would want, lol. But really you just need to go shoot some and see what fits you best. There's so many out there. Don't worry about LBS, 50 is plenty to take a deer cleanly. Keep us posted on what ya decide.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby gadwallgladiator » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:01 am

i have a kodiack bowlogic it is a great bow for your problem it is one of the smoothest bows on the market. the only reason i am trying to get rid of it, is i have 3 bows already and i need the money for a new shotgun. it could be yours for a very very reasonable price. PM me if your interested.
gadwallgladiator
hunter

Postby Sodapop » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:42 pm

I just borrow my brother bow and shot a bow for the first time. I like it, cant wait to go kill a turkey this weekend with one. I am gonna hunt with a bow more often now. I have a guy who has been doing it for years and he is helping me. He likes the PSE bow, and my brother likes Hoyt. I havent shot a PSE but I am pretty comfortable with the Hoyt. I was thinking of getting a Bowtec
Sodapop
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:39 am

Honestly, most modern compound bows are acceptable for taking down deer and other game. From the brands you listed, I don't know that you can go wrong. They each have their pro's and con's, but they should work.

My only advice is that for deer, you typically want pass through shots, but for turkey you do not want a pass through shot. So if you have a 70# bow, I would suggest dropping the pull weight down to 45-50# or whatever you bows lower pull weight is for turkey hunting, then pumping it back up close to the max for Deer.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby Sodapop » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:54 am

The draw right now is at 45lbs, do you really want 70 lbs for deer? Even our little black tail deer here in California? I take it I would have to get strong enough to pull 70lbs for a hog?
Sodapop
hunter

Postby okwaterfowler » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:41 am

If you are looking at a Bowtech you should look at the Redhead line at Bass Pro. Those bows are made by Bowtech. I got an RedHead® XPS-34® Compound Bow and I love it, they are quality bows for the price.
okwaterfowler
hunter

Return to Archery