Jeep 4.0 -> 4.5/4.6 stroker build

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, ajmorell, KCDuckMaster

Jeep 4.0 -> 4.5/4.6 stroker build

Postby ajmorell » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:27 pm

I figured a few of you here might be interested to see this. About a month or two ago I seized up the 4.0 in my Jeep ZJ Grand Cherokee. The shop wants $1900 to put a used motor in it and I wasn't going to pay that much let alone let them do the work (I trust them but would rather do it myself). Anyways for the money I would spend on paying them to fix it I am going to put together a stroked I-6, which should make around 300 ft-lb ballpark. Saturday the motor is coming out and I will be tearing it down next week to see exactly what failed. I'll take some pictures and update as I make progress on this. It will be a slow build since I am away from the Jeep at school and have limited time when I am home to work on it.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Re: Jeep 4.0 -> 4.5/4.6 stroker build

Postby ajmorell » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:02 pm

Updates: seized up the 4-slow back January, finally got some time to work on getting it out. I realize some of the crap I took off didn't necessarily have to come off to get the motor out but when you're working by yourself and not really limited by time it doesn't matter.

The plan is to build up a pretty simple stroker, 4.5 or 4.6 depending on whether or not I can use this block and just have it bored or whether I gotta find a new block.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby KCDuckMaster » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:21 pm

Well so what if it didn't need to come off. Next time you'll know and like ya said your not in a hurry. And ya i can tell that's been through some mud before!!

Ya hopefully you can repair the block, i would bet you'll find a scored up cylinder and hopefully you'll be able to sleeve it and save the block but it might just be cheaper to find a replacement anyway. Maybe you might get lucky and find just a few rod bearings spun but i doubt thats the case since the motor is locked up
If they weren’t meant to be eaten, then why are they made of meat?
KCDuckMaster
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:48 pm

KCDuckMaster wrote:Well so what if it didn't need to come off. Next time you'll know and like ya said your not in a hurry. And ya i can tell that's been through some mud before!!

Ya hopefully you can repair the block, i would bet you'll find a scored up cylinder and hopefully you'll be able to sleeve it and save the block but it might just be cheaper to find a replacement anyway. Maybe you might get lucky and find just a few rod bearings spun but i doubt thats the case since the motor is locked up

Yeah, not sure what exactly it is yet. I knew some of the stuff didn't have to come off, or could wait until the engine was out but can only do so much by myself. I've done all I can on my own, hopefully I can get someone to lend a hand or two tomorrow or Wed. night to get the block/bell-housing bolts out and pull the motor itself out.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby KCDuckMaster » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:00 pm

Ya an extra hand will help for sure, not like those I-6 engines are like one of those LS1 or 4.6l aluminum motors that you can lift out by hand
KCDuckMaster
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:32 pm

Updates. Got the motor out today, from the little bit I have torn down I can't see what's wrong yet.

Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby ajmorell » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:15 pm

More progress. Got everything torn down minus the crank, timing and cam.....haven't been able to find a damn puller to get the harmonic balancer off (at least not one that works)

Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby KCDuckMaster » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:51 am

Well I'd say you found your problem. Now the question is how bad is the cylinder? probably needs to be sleeved. Your crankshaft and bearings looked good so hopefully your main bores will be good and still within spec.
KCDuckMaster
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:23 am

Yep. Cylinder actually doesn't look too bad (not good but not bad either). Only cylinders 1 and 2 were scored like that, the rest all looked okay.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby ajmorell » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:21 pm

Just placed a $500 order for some parts.

-New harmonic balancer (chipped old one getting it off)
-Head bolts (Fel-Pro)
-Head gasket (Fel-Pro, Perma-Torque Severe Duty)
-High volume oil pump (Sealed Power)
-Oil pan gasket (Fel-Pro)
-Push-rods (Sealed Power)
-Timing Set (Mopar Performance Double Roller)
-Valve cover gasket (Fel-Pro)
-Rear main seal (Fel-Pro)
-Intake/Exhaust manifold gasket (Fel-Pro)

I'm waiting to hear back from Comp Cams about camshaft and lifter selection as well and then that will be getting ordered as well (another $300). As noted above I also already ordered a new crank and connecting rods ($350). This project is turning out to cost me more than I thought it was going to.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby Montanafowler » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:19 pm

hey, it may be expensive, but you'll have a bright shiny new engine to break in :yes:

you gonna paint the block when you're done?
Booney3721 wrote:Try being a dishwasher/Grill cook/ellectrition/garbage disposer and your owner/boss is a fat greek woman who cals you names as Retard, stupid, idiot, molocah, f*** face and tard, and tells you that you was the inspiration for abortion and birth control.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby ajmorell » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:08 pm

Montanafowler wrote:hey, it may be expensive, but you'll have a bright shiny new engine to break in :yes:

you gonna paint the block when you're done?

Yeah, to be honest I'm actually pretty excited considering the amount of money I'm spending (it will be worth it....this motor will make more hp/tq than the 318 does and not much less than the 360 does in stock form :biggrin: )

Not sure about painting the block...but probably. Nothing crazy, just black more than likely.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby fowl_wishes » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:49 am

painting the block any color other than black will help find leaks if you ever spring one. I have always been a fan of red or orange.
Shoot'em close. Less to pick.

They might get my guns, but they'll get the bullets first !
fowl_wishes
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ajmorell » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:46 am

fowl_wishes wrote:painting the block any color other than black will help find leaks if you ever spring one. I have always been a fan of red or orange.

Good idea. I don't like the idea of something bright like red or orange but I think that I could do silver or gray and it would be okay too.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Return to Vehicle forum