Crappie Fishing

Fresh and salt water fishing

Moderators: Dogman, Montanafowler, MossyGO!, Kiskadinna, WSUWESTON

Crappie Fishing

Postby LI Black Duck » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:06 am

How do you guys fish for crappie? Do you use bait or lures? What time of the year is the best? I like to use killies and a float around stumps and weed beds in the spring. I never had too much luck using lures.
LI Black Duck
hunter

Re: Crappie Fishing

Postby REDGUN » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:46 am

I only fish for them in the spring also, when they are right up next to the banks. Minnows and a float work great, but I am more "mobile" than most. I just use a fiberglass "jigging" pole and jigs.
REDGUN
hunter

Postby Greenhead Grappler » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:36 pm

In the spring we catch them around the trees and cover in 2 or 3 feet of water. in the summer 15 to 20 feet of water. I use jigs or shiners. whatever they bite best. This is from last week.
Attachments
031009_2212[00].jpg
030509_1357[00].jpg
Canceling Flights in the backwater of Northwest LA
Greenhead Grappler
Forum Moderator

Postby LI Black Duck » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:41 pm

Nice fish! I dont catch that many here. At most I will get 10-12 man thats a nice haul. :thumbsup:
LI Black Duck
hunter

Postby Montanafowler » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:09 pm

i flyfish for em, i can slay em on a leech or on size 18 chironomids. I remember back before i flyfished (at least 12 years ago.) i used to catch em on a deep diver orange rapala that i hauled through the water, did good on em with that, i remember cleaning fish for 2 hours.

Last summer my buddy and i had a contest to see who could keep em off our flies the longest, the longest was 3 seconds :yes: i think we caught over 1000 fish together that day, best day of crappie fishing in my life. :grooving:
Booney3721 wrote:Try being a dishwasher/Grill cook/ellectrition/garbage disposer and your owner/boss is a fat greek woman who cals you names as Retard, stupid, idiot, molocah, f*** face and tard, and tells you that you was the inspiration for abortion and birth control.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby Jarbo03 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:07 pm

jigs or spinners when they are biting good, will use shiners when all else fails.
Jarbo03
hunter

Postby Stool Hunter » Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:19 pm

UMMMM ! Crappie. IN the spring I fish for them early morning or late after noon using white, yellow white, or pink and white tube crappie baits under a small float. During the spawn the same baits butt time of day isnt really important.My favorite time of year though is late summer this is when i really putt a hurting on the slab daddys at night. Fishing trees that are submerged under the surface of the water butt the water is 15' to 23' deep and the trees are at the top of the water colum.I use two floating lights and two submersible lights to really attract the bait fish (baby bass,bluegill, and perch) this in turn attracts the slabs in.The bait uses the trees as cover and also the light attracts water insects this brings the slabs to you and they become aggressive with all the forage around.Also at night oxygen becomes more available in shallower water and crappie come up from the depths during the summer nights when things cool off to feed .Favorite colors at night are purple and white or blue and white.
The ducks u take while hunting will only last a while,the memories u make while hunting will last a lifetime and possibly more. Hunt for the memories!
Stool Hunter
hunter

Postby dudejcb » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:02 pm

Been catchin' crappies for about 2 months now. would've caught 'em sooner but duck season wasn't over. I have priorities.

I've been finding them congregated in small areas, just off the really deep water, in about 35 feet or less water and the fish are 28 to 15 feet down, over humps or brush. Need a boat and a good fish finder. A pair of binoculars doens't hurt if you're having a hard time find a school...see if others are catching from a distance.

Have been using light small jigs an ultralight spinning gear. I tie my jigs with chenille, calf-tail, and feathers in various colors, but plastic tube jigs or small mr. twisters will work. tip the jig with a small piece of night crawler. (minnows are best but illegl in Idaho.) Have been catching more than I care to fillet ... 50 is my fillet limit for single day, and have been throwing back the small ones. Am trying to find more perch and may need to sarafice a crappie as perch seem to favor cut-bait.

Going out tomorrow morning. Yumm
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding?
dudejcb
hunter

Postby MossyGO! » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:41 am

In washington I use jigs on the bottom, in arkansas I use a float and shiners. Depends on where you fish and the type of baitfish in the area. Strcuture is key. They aren't always 10 feet from the shore under trees. In deeper water use your finder for sunken logs/structure in 20-30ft during spawn.
idahofowler wrote: i can shoulder a gun faster than anyone i know. i try to let the people i'm hunting with have the first shot because i can clean house even if i fire last. with instinct shots, no one beats me.
MossyGO!
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Smackaduck » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:18 am

They are spawning here now and we are pulling them out of 2-5 ft of water non stop. :hammer:
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Return to Fishing