? about shooting feild ducks

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

? about shooting feild ducks

Postby The Canuck Kid » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:17 am

hello
i have a canada goose hunting spread and i would love too take a shot at those ducks that fly by me in the moarning.
to do so i guess i need some duck decoys,
right now i have 6 fullbodys and 1 baby mojo
think i could real em' in just with this?
or do i need to add more

shoot me your opinoin and it will be greatly appreciated!

thanks
Good things grow in ONTARIO
The Canuck Kid
hunter

Re: ? about shooting feild ducks

Postby berettaguy17 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:08 pm

considering the fact that your in canada, yeah you probably could. we hunted up there two years ago and killed 42 ducks in a field one morning with a mojo and 3 dozen goose decoys. you should think about maybe a few more duck dekes and maybe another mojo or something
Why not shoot all 3 shots, they make more shells everyday.
berettaguy17
hunter

Postby The Canuck Kid » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:26 pm

cool cool
but you didnt have the mojo running the hole day did you?
i hear that scares off the geese, right?
Good things grow in ONTARIO
The Canuck Kid
hunter

Postby berettaguy17 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:36 pm

we didnt seem to have that problem up there. here it does. that day we shot mostly ducks anyways. just keep the mojo right next to the blind and reach up and turn it off when geese are coming
Why not shoot all 3 shots, they make more shells everyday.
berettaguy17
hunter

Postby idduckhntr2 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:18 pm

The first thing I would get is a couple more mojos but buy a remote for each of the mojos if you can afford it. Then you can put them where ever you want and turn them off when you see geese.
idduckhntr2
hunter

Postby Dolsmi » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:58 am

idduckhntr2 wrote:The first thing I would get is a couple more mojos but buy a remote for each of the mojos if you can afford it. Then you can put them where ever you want and turn them off when you see geese.

I agree. We normally put out a bout 2 dozen Canadian Goose decoys and a few mallard dec's with a few Mojo's.
All you need is something to catch the ducks attention.
Dolsmi
hunter

Postby idduckhntr2 » Wed May 06, 2009 7:56 pm

Dolsmi wrote:
idduckhntr2 wrote:The first thing I would get is a couple more mojos but buy a remote for each of the mojos if you can afford it. Then you can put them where ever you want and turn them off when you see geese.

I agree. We normally put out a bout 2 dozen Canadian Goose decoys and a few mallard dec's with a few Mojo's.
All you need is something to catch the ducks attention.

That is the key to killing ducks in fields. Without something to catch their attention, they will never know you are there unless you are directly under where they are flying.
idduckhntr2
hunter

Postby legband » Sun May 24, 2009 5:33 pm

i never use a mojo in a field. When im in a field im after mainly geese and geese dont like them for some reason. I get sick of turning them on and off. Or sometimes the geese would and forget to shut it off etc... But those dang things work on ducks though so they surely dont hurt if your after mainly ducks. From my experience hunting mallards love decoying to geese but geese hate ducks. So i normally only use a dozen ducks in the field and normally run mostly honkers. Then when i see the ducks i just use my goose flag to get their attention. Doesnt mean thats the best or only way to do it but you dont need a ton of duck decoys if you have goose decoys too. My 2 cents goodluck
If their feet arent down you didnt fool em
legband
hunter

Postby NickK » Mon May 25, 2009 7:50 pm

Here in Southern Ontario, the geese hate mojos. They will flare time and time again with them. For ducks, we run a dozen GHG Fullbody mallards, 2 black ducks and one Mojo. Sucks the ducks right in :)
Nick
Love to duck hunt :)
NickK
hunter

Postby forester11 » Tue May 26, 2009 6:07 pm

We usually don't even bother with the mojo's if we are goose hunting. The ducks will at the very least swing by and have a look at a goose spread so we throw a half dozen duck dekes behind the layout blind and they'll usually come within range. We don't kill a ton of ducks (but we don't see a ton either) while goose hunting but I like to think that we kill more geese because we don't have a mojo in the spread.
forester11
hunter

Postby takem1010 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:18 am

we had several hunts last year where we killed ducks and geese in the same field. I run 90 full body GHG geese, 24 shells and 56 full body ducks. usually I run 3 or 4 mojos, i do turn them off or pull em down when i have a bunch of geese coming my way, but in my opinion the ducks need to see motion much more than geese do. im sure you have more ducks in canada than we do down here in oklahoma and if it were me I would run more decoys, thats just strictly my opinion.
takem1010
hunter

Postby REM1100 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:16 am

I use two wind powered mojos and 8 duck dekes about 5-10yds from my blind along with about 4 dz canada shells.
Since I shoot anywheres from a mile or three from a roost the ducks are the first to lift off at crack of dawn and are good for 15 minutes of target
pratice to warm the barrel and then the mojos are put away.
on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby andrew_kirby » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:11 pm

i love when you go duck hunting in the swamp hardly see anything and then that night go goose hunt in a field and have mallards and woodies buzzing all around im gonna have to try field hunting for ducks sometime.....
andrew_kirby
State Moderator

Postby njonesy_07 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:43 am

Id say you have a good chance especially with the mojo. Some more FB mallard dekes couldn't hurt either, but motion is key for DUCKS. Here in OR we can't use battery powered motion dekes, so sometimes we run winduks and tried a wing-waver for geese....did not work. Geese flared at first sign of the waver or winduk.
Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Return to Field Duck Hunting