Surefire M-6 versus MAG 951 flashlights

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

Surefire M-6 versus MAG 951 flashlights

Postby watchmaker » Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:36 pm

What it had to do with duck hunting a shoot-out between the two more powerful flashlights in the world?

I don't know!! It is that I just retired and I am getting anxious for the hunting season to arrive, any hunting season!!! Duck and Gesse seems to be so far away!!

Next week I will be going to my cabin in the Adirondacks to do some Early Bear season hunting and later a blackpowder hunt for deer.

Until I try out my new Remington MZ muzzloader or my new bow is very little I can talk about.
So I got this Surefire M-6 flashlight, I am a sucker for the most powerfuls things and I bought this light and decided to pitted against my MAG 951 (made in the body of a Maglite 3 D) the most powerful flashlight in the world at 951 lumens!!

The Surefire Guardian M-6 arrived two days ago.
Last night with the aid of my son and a couple friends I set out to take some pictures for a COMPARISON SHOOTOUT
I have a heart sttopage when I dropped the Surefire and it landed 3 inches away from my concrete walk in the back yard, after all I paid $393.00 plus shipping for it.!!

I mounted both flashlights in a tripod by aid of my home-made gizmo. Lacking another tripod for my camera the pictures in the basement come out blurry, but for our purposes, which is to show the amount of light projected by each one, they will serve.

I took the pictures of the shed with the camera set in the tripod from fifteen yards and the light of both flashlights coming from 43 yards away.
At such short ranges you can see that the Surefire M-6 is impressive, although you can see the superiority of the MAG 951 without question.

In the basement picture you can observe how the side spill of the MAG 951 shows more illuminated area, even that the focus of the MAG 951 is far more concentrated than the M-6. So this is explained just by the massive output in lumens by the MAG 951.

Pictures I could not take due to our road being so busy with traffic will have shown how at 112 yards the superiority of the MAG 951 is demonstrated, as it put so much more light in the target (a tree) than the M-6 does.

I have had a stop sign ranged (with my laser range finder) at 243 yards (they are reflective, so they show very well). But the people agree with me is that if somebody would have been standing near it, the light of the MAG 951 would have been sufficient to show him well.

Runtime: The Surefire M-6 will run for 20 minutes in six batteries 123’s for a cost of $9.96.
The MAG 951 will run for 30 minutes putting out double the light for FREE (as the light is rechargeable)
Running cost: The MAG 951 runs for 500 hours on rechargeable batteries before needing another $24.00 pack.
The Surefire will cost $29.88 per hour so after 500 hours will have spend $14.940 in batteries!!!
Cost: The Surefire M-6 cost twice as much as the MAG 951.
The Surefire can be had over the counter or by mail, mine have serial number 8000. The MAG 951 is the product of one's man workshop and scarce.

The flashlights mounted in the tripods.

Beamshot with the M-6

Beamshot with the MAG 951

Tool shed beamshots from 43 yards:

Beamshot with the M-6

Beamshot with the MAG 951

I will point out that seeing in person is easier to appreciate the difference between the two lights, even better than in these pictures.

cheers
watchmaker
watchmaker
hunter

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:39 pm

wow, you do have some time on your hands! Thanks for sharing. At the risk of sounding sarcastic, I'll rememebr this if I ever decide to spend $400 on a flashlight. Sounds like the Mag is the way to go. If I were you, I'd be painting the surefire bright orange or something. That would suck to lose.
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby watchmaker » Sat Oct 01, 2005 5:24 am

Trois,
Thanks, yes I am afraid of the M-6, afraid to lose it afraid to drop the thing.
That is the great advantage of the MAG 951 also, as is based on the Maglite 3 D, if it gets damaged a new "host" is available in Home Depot, WalMart or anywhere for less than $20.00
You just transfer the parts to the new shell.

regards
watchmaker
watchmaker
hunter

Postby chrispbrown27 » Sun Oct 02, 2005 2:49 pm

So how does one build a MAG 951?
chrispbrown27
hunter

Postby watchmaker » Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:46 pm

chrispbrown27,

You can get one ready made here:
[EDITED BY MODERATOR]

If I am breaking any Forum rules giving a link, Moderator please feel free to delete it.

watchmaker
watchmaker
hunter

Postby Robberwood » Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:17 pm

:spam: :spam: :spam:
are you really a watchmaker? or retired?... dont think so
and by the way geese not gesse
"Dont land over there!"
So what time are they suppose to show up?
Robberwood
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum