A little help

Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays; pistol/rifle target shooting, to plinking cans with a bb gun.

Moderator: waterfowlhunter

A little help

Postby SnoGeez » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:14 am

I'm looking to put some solid time in at the range this offseason, however, I shoot a semi-auto. I've seen others shoot semi's at the trap range but they seem to have some type of device that stops the shell from totally ejecting. If possible, I would like to get one of these so I'm not pelting the guy next to me with my empties. Anybody know what it is? I shoot a A391 extrema if that makes a difference, thanks guys.
SnoGeez
hunter

Re: A little help

Postby Sagebrush » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:35 am

I have one for my 391.................

Picked it up at the trap club for $10, but you can call up the sporting goods stores in the area
to see if they have any,also.

TS industries Inc. one year guarantee shell catcher..........
Brownells.com 800-741-0015
stock# ts-A391

hope this helps
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby SnoGeez » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:31 pm

Thanks sagebrush, I think thats exactly what I'm looking for.
SnoGeez
hunter

Postby devildog28 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:07 pm

They'll move out of they way :thumbsup: Just use the 10 bucks on a couple more boxes of shells.
devildog28
hunter

Postby SnoGeez » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:59 pm

devildog28 wrote:They'll move out of they way :thumbsup: Just use the 10 bucks on a couple more boxes of shells.

LOL! I've never had anybody say anything to me, but I can't imagine they like it. Plus I want to start reloading at some point, so I hope this will make collecting shells a little easier.
SnoGeez
hunter

Postby SnoGeez » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:33 pm

So I ordered the shellcatcher from brownells, got it today, went to put it on my gun and......it doesn't fit. It's too small, after doing a little more research I don't think they actually make one that will fit my berretta A391 3.5" extrema. The package lists a bunch of berretta trap guns that it will fit, but the stock number is correct. So I hope brownells has a good return policy, but more importantly, does anybody know of a product like this that will fit my gun?
SnoGeez
hunter

Postby JimG » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:53 pm

Shoot skeet. Better practice for the duck hunter. You need to load two for half the round.

There problem solved.
No cyber scouting allowed
JimG
hunter

Postby SnoGeez » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:50 pm

Haha, that would solve the problem, but not exactly what I'm looking for. The range I go to lets you pick up your shells after the round, and I'm young, so I've just been pickin em up after. I have been thinking about shooting some skeet though, it just bugs me that I can end a round with a half a box of shells left, I hate loose ends. I need to put in some more time in on trap, just to get my target acquisition and flow down better.
SnoGeez
hunter

Postby JimG » Fri May 01, 2009 3:40 am

Trap does about zero for helping out the duck hunter. The target comes out of the house straight, to the left, or to the right, and there is little to no swing involved. Skeet is all about swing. Shootin' ducks is all about swing. You have to learn to move the gun and correct lead for a given flight path.
No cyber scouting allowed
JimG
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun May 03, 2009 6:30 am

JimG wrote:Trap does about zero for helping out the duck hunter. The target comes out of the house straight, to the left, or to the right, and there is little to no swing involved. Skeet is all about swing. Shootin' ducks is all about swing. You have to learn to move the gun and correct lead for a given flight path.

I can not agree with this. Most of the ducks I shoot are coming straight into the decoys and dropping, or after the first shots any remaining are going straight out and rising. this is more like trap than skeet. If your doing mostly pass shooting than I would agree with skeet. I personally shoot sporting clays but if I had my choice between skeet and trap I would shoot skeet. trap is too easy and I get tired of the guys with a stick up their behind that want to agrue with the puller or caller every time they miss with their $10,000 gun :yes: then the kid with his mossy 500 beats him. I have also found that skeet shooters (I am generalizing from things I have seen) seem to be more helpful and more patient with new shooters.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Target Shooting