Best Bait For Mid-Day Bass

Fresh and salt water fishing

Moderators: Dogman, WSUWESTON, Montanafowler, MossyGO!, Kiskadinna

Best Bait For Mid-Day Bass

Postby Preacher1011 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:54 am

So I always do really well with bass in the morning and evening but they seem to get lock jaw from about 11am on to about 3pm or so. I usually fish finesse worms rigged with a shakey head, but the mid-day kills me. I get sun burned and don't catch a thing for it until evening comes. So, what should I give a try for mid-day bass and where should I start looking? I'm thinking about fishing a few local tourneys this year and need a good mid-day strategy.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Re: Best Bait For Mid-Day Bass

Postby berettaguy17 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:35 pm

try a crankbait, but make sure your deep enough to bang the crankbait off the bottom in rocky areas or flat gravelly areas. sometime you get them when your really dredging the bottom with it. say fish a spot thats 8 foot deep with a ten foot diver bait. also for mid day bass around here we try old road beds or flats with white spinnerbaits that are a little larger than normal. seriosly try it my biggest fish have been caught in the middle of the day with a shiny crankbait. use something bigger in size too. another place we always try is steep dropoffs that are usually less than five feet of difference.
Why not shoot all 3 shots, they make more shells everyday.
berettaguy17
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:16 am

Fines baits are fine, as long as they're biting them. Sometimes if they're not biting worms, you might as well get out a crank bait, rattle trap, or spinner bait and burn them. Burning crankbaits, at the right depth, will work year round on getting reaction bites. This is something I really like to do in the winter, burn rattle traps, cover a lot of water, trigger reaction bites.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:15 am

I'm always leery of putting a crankbait to the bottom. I tend to get hung up when I do especially with all the brush around here. I'll give it a go though. I'm thinking of getting one of those new Rapala Clackin' Raps to and see how they do.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby floating redneck » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:44 pm

if the suns shining flip a jig aroung shady cover black and blue jig and black no11 pork frog i fish a jig and pig 80% of the time,as far as the deep crackbaiting get a plug knocker it will save you money on snags
"remember im pulling for you, we're all in this together" Red Green
floating redneck
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:15 pm

I've never even heard of plug knockers before. Boy I wish I knew about those years ago... I'd have spend A LOT less on crank baits and the sort. 8.99 a pop gets expensive fast.

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby berettaguy17 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:55 pm

i use 80 pound braided line and catch fish all day on it doesnt seem to bother them. i pull snags out of the water. also try a texas rig for mid day. dark 7" worm of some kind. what part of the country are you in anyways?
berettaguy17
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:00 am

Smack dab in the middle of East TN.

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby berettaguy17 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:43 pm

well i can catch bass all day here in central illinois so if you think that may be similar
berettaguy17
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:15 pm

When I get paid again I got a whole bunch of stuff to buy. One of my old "buddies" stole all my tackle a couple years back so I'm starting from scratch, and my old tackle box was full. I just bought the Plano 777 so room is not an issue. I got a couple Strike King Red Eye Shad (one in red craw the other silver w/a blue back), a Spro Aruku shad (blue shiner), a Spro Broze Eye Frog (I love top water), and a Rapala DT crank bait (in dark brown crawdad, I think I got the one that goes to 10'). I also got some more finesse worms and shakey heads. There might be some more stuff in there too, it's all in the back room... I went shopping last night while I worked. :yes: I do great in the morning and evening, but hopefully my mid-day will do better now. I wish they'd hit top water mid-day, my favorite way to bass fish for sure.

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby berettaguy17 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:21 pm

definatly my favorite way to fish too. i love throwing a larger zera spook or whatever there called. I call them a jackpot because thats what the muskie size is called. the baits i throw the most would have to the be rapala DT 10 in bluegill color. i picked up a few dt 16's to try this year. I also like rat-l-trap's, bandit crankbaits. i like to texas rig ALOT too. i throw all of these about the same as any of the others. i love spinnerbaits but because of loss of cover in the area i usually fish i havent thrown them as much as usual. i havent tried any of those finess baits or the red eye shads yet but heard good things. i just have so much tackle that works already and not much $$$ this year, so i wont be buying much this year. i do need a new reel before i buy any more tackle.
berettaguy17
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:22 pm

Shakey heads and finesse worms are one of the cheapest things you can buy. I've been using the Watermelon Red Flake with a red shakey head lately and I'm nearly out of the worms. They whack those things pretty hard and I can get 2 or 3 bass from one worm. Give them a try, they don't disappoint.

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby floating redneck » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:44 pm

for a real cheap knocker use a spark plug ,put it over your line and crimp it with your pliers if you cant get it out your not out much
"remember im pulling for you, we're all in this together" Red Green
floating redneck
hunter

Postby berettaguy17 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:54 pm

how exactly do you rig these things. i can texas rig and ive done drop shot jigging but never realy anything else
berettaguy17
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:50 pm

The ones I bought have a screw on the jig head and you screw the front of the finesse worm (or whatever you're using) onto that then you Texas rig it after that. Comes out looking like this:

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby GroundSwatter » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:24 am

I guess I've done that before, except all I did was use a texas rig, then put a tooth pick in the weight to keep it from sliding. The other nice thing about the tooth pick is you can slide the weight up your line about 3-6 inches and get a different action out of your worm.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby dudejcb » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:16 pm

You probably know that bass go deeper or into cover when the sun is high, unless a wind puts ripples on the surface.

GS, I Carolina rig big twister tail grubs like you're talking about, only with 12 to 18 inches between the weight and the grub. I'm gonna have to try the toothpick method. sounds easier. even easier yet...split shotting.

Bass are still kind a slow out here but crappie are on fire so am going again tomorrow. Have caught a couple smallmouth on crappie jigs though. Weather report is calling for sunny, 65-degrees, light breeze and a cooler full of dark beer. should be great!
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding?
dudejcb
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:35 pm

dudejcb wrote:You probably know that bass go deeper or into cover when the sun is high, unless a wind puts ripples on the surface.

GS, I Carolina rig big twister tail grubs like you're talking about, only with 12 to 18 inches between the weight and the grub. I'm gonna have to try the toothpick method. sounds easier. even easier yet...split shotting.

Bass are still kind a slow out here but crappie are on fire so am going again tomorrow. Have caught a couple smallmouth on crappie jigs though. Weather report is calling for sunny, 65-degrees, light breeze and a cooler full of dark beer. should be great!

Mine is like a mini carolina rig. I us a lighter weight than I normally do with carolina rig and usually don't stretch it out as far as I normally would a carolina rig.

We're expecting snow here tomorrow, so I doubt I'll be fishing this weekend.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:28 pm

I know they stay closer to cover and go deeper, I just can't get them out of lock jaw. I tried finesse worming on very steep drop offs the other day and nothing. I gotta try a new technique.

I went trolling for crappie last friday and caught a crap load of shad and that's it. :fingerhead: It's raining this weekend and it looks like we're in for rain again next weekend. :crying:

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby berettaguy17 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:20 pm

dont forget my crankbait thing
berettaguy17
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:11 pm

What the bouncing it off the bottom or the plug knockers?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby berettaguy17 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:00 pm

bouncin on the bottom or bringing it off steep drops
berettaguy17
hunter

Postby dudejcb » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:54 am

That sounds more like bass fishing. The crappie bite is really soft right now, for the most part. usually the line just gets a little heavy with an occassional light twitch. Yesterday the surface wqater temp was 47-degrees and they were in 30 feet of water, but most of the crappie were suspended right at 13 feet, so really had to measure how much line you had out.
dudejcb
hunter

Postby dudejcb » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:56 pm

Hey just found out what the best bait is for midday or anytime...can you say, Banjo Minnow? Yup, for only $19.99 you can tear 'em up all day anywhere, and if you hurry and dial p the 800 number, they'll double up the number of wiggly minners so you can catch every fish that swims. Honest. I saw it on TV so it must be true.
dudejcb
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:25 pm

Heh. I don't know how you could catch anything with the hook so far up front. I've been meaning to try out some of the hollow body swim baits. Seems like a bunch of people are using those and do pretty well with them.

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Next

Return to Fishing