well....?

This is the Utah duck hunting forum where you are invited to communicate with other hunters like yourself.

Moderator: Spiraleyes

well....?

Postby Bret » Sat Oct 01, 2005 2:59 pm

How did you do?

I spent my morning at my favorite opening spot. From 8:00AM on teal covered us up. I love a good old fashioned teal shoot. It had been a while since I really got into teal. we were limited out and back at the boat ramp at 9:45. I almost wish it would have taken a little longer we sat in the marsh and waited a long time under the stars for maybe 45 minutes of shooting. Duck hunters.....we are a few shells short of a box. we could have been done a lot sooner. I let a lot fly out of the decoys in the first fifteen minutes while my brother fiddled around with shells and what not.... I don't know why he wasn't ready but that is just the way he is. I had three down in a heart beat And I did not want to limit before he was even hunting. Worried about limitting out to soon ...Not a bad problem to have.

anyway a great day....I can't wait to do it again tomorrow.

I hope ya'll did as well.

Bret
Bret
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:42 am

Good here in the southern end. Didn't get any teal but shot up a limit of mallards. We could of used one or two more people to help keep the birds moving though. Fun shoot anyways. Now we need some cold to bring in some honkers. I just can't pull the trigger on our flock of 17 locals. It sure would be easy though.
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby w1!dbill » Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:07 pm

Well, I can say I defnitely had a good time. That's the most important part right? I didn't limit out, but that's hardly ever a goal for me. Honestly, I can't eat that much duck...mercury or not :smile:

I didn't really believe my buddy when he told stories of how many folks and how much shooting would occur...I should've. As he had predicted, the opening salvo was fired at 0750 and a barrage of unheard of proportions happened for the next solid half-hour. I doubt if that much ammo was expended during the Tet offensive. I couldn't have shot early if I wanted too, I was awestruck.

I also didn't believe anyone would take the time to walk as far as we had, but about 7:30 in the morning, some "pass shooters" persevered in order to make it to about 100 yards away from our decoys. Although it cost us ducks, we got some good laughs out of their skybusting efforts. I mean this was the kind of shooting where your normal skybuster would look at them and go "wow, that one was really out of range...that's embarassing". Eventually they ran out of shells, or got tired of us making fun of them, and left. After that, we had a really good time with the occasional bird actually decoying. We ended up with a few teal, a couple of mallards, and one red head. A pretty decent mixed bag.

My buddy has a young lab who's hunting for the first time this year. It was a great experience for her. He walked her out on the first few retrieves and then the light bulb went off over her head. She made a couple of solo retrieves and found a couple of ducks in the tules that we would've never found. It's awesome to see that.

Only saw a couple of geese, so the addition of the goose floaters to my spread was only a confidence measure for the ducks. Hopefully they'll contribute in a different way at a later date because they sure increase the load!

Hope everyone had as much fun as I did and had a safe hunt.

I've been around enough to know that the crowds and the skybusting will decrease as the season progresses. Now, we just hunker down and pray for arctic cold fronts. Overall, I was impressed with the number of ducks and look forward to many more hunts in Utah.

Bill
w1!dbill
hunter

Postby honer » Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:08 pm

we had a rough go in the morning. we saw several flocks of birds but they had tickets to another game, so they kept on keepin' on. we finally cleaned up the decoys and headed into town for a bite to eat around 11:00. my two buddies decided they had had enough and they decided to call it quits for the day. i wanted to head out for the afternoon and try a different spot. when i got out of my car the clock said 3:45. i put on my waders, got my stuff together, hiked out to my spot, and tossed out the decoys. needless to say my buddies wish they had stuck it out. i was back at my car at 6:55 with my waders off my decoys packed away four nice green heads, 1 drake blue wing, and two hen blue wings. so it pretty well took the whole day, but i finally did get limited out.
honer
State Moderator

Postby brdprey » Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:13 am

:mrgreen: this will take a while to tell ......................
saturday we get out there, my son and myself along with my buddy and his kid. we expected to get about 4 others but they just didnt have there heart in it. anyway some were around 5: ish we get there amazed at how little people were there but later found out we just got there sooner than the year before. :mrgreen:
any way, some of you ( that were at farmington) may have seen me (i had a yellow wagon in tow) God that rocked, it will be great to haul the deeks this year. < getting lazy carrying them large bags of deeks. :laughing: we ended up taking 5 , and 5 the next day between the two of us. but the best part other than spending it with my kid was the dog........
wow..........we had some wrinkles to work out but it paid off.
saturday when ducks went down, i had to first break trail for pup thru reeds (one time) after that it was like he told me, stay put ill get it and would come back even thou he didnt see exactly just a round about area from the drop. .....
on sunday, i winged a red head. it didnt die , it went under we chased that darn bird for a while but once pup finally understood he these hand signals are good for something it was clock work and text book material.
i tell you i have finally found the real attraction to the waterfoul sport.
when all goes right it makes you feel proud. he did those signals so well i had one guy tell me he was a well trained dog that needed some edges fine tuned. im not sure how to take that. but to me i cant pat him on his back enough for a job well done...............
we didnt limit out but i did limit out on fun and expectations.
i do owe this and the main board a great deal of thanks for assisting me in my training and the info i used to get him there. like some of you i have found my hunting partner.
I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, FORIEGN AND DOMESTIC;
brdprey
hunter

Postby w1!dbill » Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:58 am

brd prey: You found the best hunting buddy you'll ever have. He'll never stand you up, will always be on time, and will even sit close and keep you warm on the really cold days :smile:

I sure do miss my old girl. She passed away in April before I moved out here. Being out this weekend with my buddy and his new pup got me started thinking maybe it's time to start looking...
w1!dbill
hunter

Postby Bret » Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:18 am

that is the real deal the dog, the decoys good freinds and family are the best parts of it all.

I am glad to hear everyone had a good time.

I lost my best old dog last Thanksgiving at the age on 13. I still have to fight a tear out of my eye when I think about that old dog. You can not replace the good ones but it helps to have a pup to work with, and make you laugh. I love the dogs.

Bret
Bret
hunter

Postby green head2 » Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:31 pm

Well Im glad to hear yall had a good time Me Well it was more of a education for my kids than anything else I never shot at even one duck this whole weekend Opening morning We pull into the reeds set the blind on the boat Shots are heard at 547 and 603 I tell my daughters they are basicly poaching because the season has not offically started Finally it legal to shoot Birds are everywhere I personley dont shoot until they are locked up and commited But they could never get that way because of all the skybusters I watched guys shooting at geese that my barrel completly coverd more education for my daughters We watched ducks and geese get hit and sail to the highway close to a mile away Then theses to yahoos Went after some crippled ducks there fault shooting to high but at least they went after them right No because I was only about 30 yards from them The ducks were between us They pulled out into the water with their boat And fired I told my daughters to duck As BBs slammed the boat I yelled at them just as shot number 2 came Telling my daughters to duck again Now Im really mad They can see us plain as day As I start yelling at them to quit shooting The guys gives me the bird and fires again This time my daughter starts crying A few BBs have hit her And she has a huge welt an her cheek I coverd that water like I was jesus himself They could not get the boat started before I got there There boat ended up upside down And so did they before some of my buddies got there to stop me Which Im very glad they did I got back checked on my daughters packed up and left That afternoon I went to gunnison res No ducks anywhere sunday I let the kid nextdoor to me shoot while me and his dad watched the birds and called them I did not hunt sunday night Also come to find out those guys were from payson and had had troubles there before Anyways there is my story Glad yall had more fun than me
green head2
hunter

Postby Spiraleyes » Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:45 pm

Wow, Green head, that's terrible. Did this happen on your "private" spot, or did you head out to a public area?

Honestly guys, I've never hunted opening weekend. I think about doing it every year, then I hear the horror stories. I usually end up going out the first time a front moves through (minus today).

Jim
Spiraleyes
State Moderator

Postby green head2 » Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:04 pm

No this was on public ground The water dropped about 3ft in the last week And we dont have the road finished yet So it was to muddy to drop the boat there My buddy is going to be working on it during the week We should be good to go when I get home I just found out one of my buddies had the same thing happen on redmond lake But those guys stopped shooting once he stood up And threatned them I just got done reading the other site sounds like it was a pretty common experiance this weekend I understand Accidents and even pepole not really knowing where you are But to see you and keep shooting thats a whole different story
green head2
hunter

Postby honer » Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:56 pm

dear green head, i too am sad to hear your experience. i was born and raised in payson, so that makes the story even more sad. i hope you were able to report your experience to law enforcement as people like that should not be carrying deadly weapons. i also hope your daughter is not soured to the whole hunting experience. my three kids are all way to young to hunt but if that happened to me i would have gone bonkers right there in the marsh. instead of people posting about the payson yahoo's you encountered not being fit to carry weapons they would be talking about this payson yahoo not being allowed to carry a weapon. i guess i have some mother bear in me that way (pretty protective.) good luck with the road to your new spot, that should get you away from the crowds and the mumbo jumbo that goes on at the crowded spots.
honer
State Moderator

Postby green head2 » Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:46 pm

Honer I did not tell any law enforcement My daughter was upset So we just left And nobody knows who they really are They just show up once in awhile But she still wants to hunt And cant wait until this weekend And I did not mean to say all guys from payson just these guys are yahoos Im not even sure that is where they are from Just some of my buddys had a problem with them last season Somehow in the arguing they mentioned they were from payson to them The opening was not a complete loss I am upset about what happened to my little girl But to see all the stuff going on Like skybusting and wounded birds not watching where you are shooting and so on My daughters learned alot And I am glad I was able to sit there and talk with them Try to show them what was to far and identifiy ducks and geese It was a good time up until the end Kinda bitter sweet
green head2
hunter

Postby Bret » Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:31 pm

:thumbsdown: That is terrible. :pissed: I am glad no one was hurt. I hope the hunting gets better for you as the yahoos start to stay home and let the rest of us hunt. Only one circus left up north.......When the swans come in. As much as I like hunting them I dread when they show up because with them comes the show of the clowns in one of my favorite spots. Oh well some times you need a good laugh as long as it does not go as far as greenheads opener.

Once again very sorry about your day but I hope it gets good soon. I thought the circus was only in the north boy was I wrong.

Bret
Bret
hunter

Postby w1!dbill » Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:04 pm

Yep, I'd be in jail right now and I'd have that finger that was flipped at me hanging from my lanyard. :pissed: I'm glad to hear your friends were there to cool you down.

One big difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has a limit. Stupidity knows no bounds, as these two have shown. They aren't hunters...period.

Glad to see you set a good example for your kids. Yes, you were a little violent, but only to the level that was required. That'll give your kids a realistic appreciation of the world they live in...something that a lot of kids are lacking these days.
w1!dbill
hunter

Postby green head2 » Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:40 pm

Yep it was a circus Most things on the opener are just a givin And pepole always say if someone did that to my kids or if I found out that this or that had happened to my kids I would _____ It is amazing how it took over I crossed that water so fast a good thirty yards in mud and 3ft high water picked up a boat 2 full sized grown men and gear and flipped it in one shove Adrenaline rush I too am glad my buddys were there I wish also I had handeled it a different way But what is done is done and its over now In just a few short weeks It will be mostly the serious and curtious guys out there I figured out why we keep our honey holes secret Its not because were afraid someone will shoot all the ducks or even that there will be a few pepole there Its the part of not knowing what kinda pepole will be there This is the worst hunt I have ever experianced But there are so many good times to come And so many I have already had That I cant wait till this weekend It will be a whole different story then Im sure For those of you lucky enough to hunt during the week good luck :thumbsup:
green head2
hunter

Postby duckaddict » Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:50 pm

I'm sorry to hear about your story green head 2. That is ridiculus. As for me and my group we had a great time. For some reason this opener seemed a lot more relaxing to me than most. We had five guys with us and we all had our limit by 10:20. Everything seemed to run smooth and we didn't have any problems with people. I got home in time to clean my ducks, take a nap and then hang out with my wife.

I did get tricked into letting a buddy bring his 1 1/2 yr old lab pup for the opener. I thought he had done some better training, but I soon realized that wasn't true. I do have to say that my dog has some heart. My little brother winged a mallard that took off swiming. My lab followed that bird accross a good sized pond. I knew right away I had to get the boat and chase down the dog and bird. I think she would have chased that bird to California if i hadn't started up the boat. Bless her little duck hunting heart.

We went back out yesterday and managed to call in some warry birds and enjoyed the afternoon out in the marsh. Gotta love this sport!
duckaddict
hunter

Postby green head2 » Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:08 pm

Sounds like alot of fun I cant wait till this weekend I just got off the phone with my wife she had to rub in how its raining windy and cold at home right now And the geese were all over in our field this morning Its 80 here in los angles I hope this week goes fast I keep seeing some wierd ducks on the bay where I load Nobody hunts here So keep the stories comeing There is knowone here to talk to about it Have fun guys
green head2
hunter

Postby BP » Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:46 pm

I'm sure sorry to hear about your opener story, Greenhead2. :thumbsdown: I'm not sure what I would have done if I would have been in that situation with my kids, but I bet it would have been pretty much the same reaction!! :pissed: Knocking some heads in a situation like that is quite justifiable!!! It's too bad that there is not more reprecussions for people like that. One thing to look forward to is that the opener is over and most jerk offs will be gone for the remainder of the season, hopefully!! Good luck on the remainder of the year, and best wishes for your girls on the marshes as well!!! :thumbsup: :salude:
Everyone has quark about them, mines hunting!!
BP
hunter

Postby firebird » Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:18 am

I finally got out with the dekes and call and like a couple of you had asad moment when I looked at the empty dog crate in the shed. Hunting is not nearly as fun without the old chesapeake. Threw out some coot, mallard, gadwall, teal and wigeon dekes on a shallow bay with lots of sign and dug myself a place to sit and hide. The ducks worked amazingly well to the call and dropped right into the opening. Came home with mallards and teal and had a great time. I've been hearing horror stories about Farmington and public shooting grounds for days now-not just a Utah thing obviousely. You'll get tired of me saying this but hunters are our own worst enemies. We do stupid things and someday will no longer have the right to hunt as the reward for foolish and lazy behavior.
There is no help for this kind of insanity. I'm just a duck hunter, and should not be held accountable for all my actions between October 1st and freeze-up. Gordon MacQuarrie
firebird
hunter

Postby UtahSprig » Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:05 am

Hit FB on monday, and it was the usual bubbapolooza :getdown: :toofunny:

Still, managed to bag three cinammon teal and had a good quick little morning shoot. However, I am looking forward to more weather and less crowded marshes.
UtahSprig
hunter

Return to Utah Duck Hunting