Beginner Bowfishing Bow. help?

From big game to target practice to 3d shoots

Moderators: LaRedneck, birddog crazy, buffleheadnc2

Beginner Bowfishing Bow. help?

Postby gdun » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:01 pm

Hey guys,
I have shot a few carp here and there, but just with my pig bow and practice arrows, and wading in to get my arrows, and if i shot a fish it would just stick in the mud. :thumbsup:
Anyway, I wanna really get into it, so do you guys reccomend any bows? Under $150 would be best. I am looking at kits, those would be best.
Also, I have this http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... ISO-8859-1.

and am looking at this http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... ISO-8859-1

Definately looking for a recurve. Shooting from shore 70% of the time.
“Ducks aren’t hard to hit,they’re just easy to miss.” - Vernon Baker
gdun
hunter

Re: Beginner Bowfishing Bow. help?

Postby Preacher1011 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:32 pm

I just used my old deer bow when I got a new one. Anywho if you want a new boy you should check out a pawn shop. Or you can just use your bow you have now and buy an AMS reel, which I would HIGHLY recommend no matter what bow you buy. You mount them where your sight goes and it screws right off the bracket.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby GroundSwatter » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:46 am

AMS has some nice combos for starters, like this one http://www.amsbowfishing.com/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=265. You can add this kit to almost any bow and trust me, you want a nice reel for your bow.

As for the bow, buy a used bow, or just grab an old one.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby gdun » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:13 pm

thanks guys. I think I'm going to get that AMS retriever
“Ducks aren’t hard to hit,they’re just easy to miss.” - Vernon Baker
gdun
hunter

Postby sdgr8wthnter » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:58 pm

Be prepaired for one of the most fun things you can legally do.
sdgr8wthnter
State Moderator

Postby ClintV » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:36 pm

You mentioned you want a recurve........check the pawn shops and yard sales.
I've seen perfectly good "old antique bows" for $5 on up. What them folks don't realize is that the bow is usually perfectly functional, even if it doesn't have wheels and a drop away rest on it. Matter of fact, IMHO they are superior to any of the compounds, ESPECIALLY for bowfishing. :thumbsup:

Recurves are simple, nothing ever goes out of tune, and a used one usually has enough dents and dings on it that you won't mind throwing it down in the mud or the bottom of the boat to fight a fish.

Find a mid-length recurve, in any weight from 40#-#60 and you are in luck. (you can shoot a heavier bow if you wish, but when it's good there is gonna be LOTS of shooting, and you really don't need the extra weight to effectively shoot the majority of fish)

The AMS has a lot of fans, and the closed face reels have a pretty good following, but I prefer a good old fashioned shoot through hoop reel. Whatever reel you choose, make sure you have safety slides on your arrows, I've never had a snap back since I've started using them. You only have to experiance a snap back one time to appreciate that it isn't something you want to do with any frequency. :eek:

Good luck, and welcome to the addiction.
(There are support group meetings every other Wednesday evening down at the lake :biggrin: )
ClintV
hunter

Postby Quack Shack » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:44 pm

I have been using AMS equipment for about ten years now. I have had one snap back but that was my fault. I had a loop in the string and it caught on the reel handle. With any bowfishing equipment, you have to pay attention to where the line is. Since they have come out with the slides things have gotten a lot better. Like it has been said on the previous posts any bow in the 50# range will work. Keep in mind, bowfishing is really hard on a bow. The PSE kingfisher recurve is a nice starter setup.
Throw away the drum and mount a good reel on it. I would suggest looking for a bow with fiber glass limbs. They will hold up better to the water, mud and blood. Going down to shoot talapia on a couple of weeks. Can hardly wait. If we get into fish, its not uncommon to take 50 to 100 shots a day. That will calous up the ol finger tips.
TEAM SPOONIE
Quack Shack
hunter

Postby ghilliehunter » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:12 am

I'd definately go with the ams. I have one and my friend went out with my old drum style and lost 2 arrows because it would catch them. As for the bow, I would just use any bow. I have a 91 bear whitetail hunter that I use. I just took it apart and spray painted it so it would look better, cause if you cant be good at something you may as well look good doing it :beer:
RIP slayer, only the good die young
ghilliehunter
hunter

Return to Archery