Any Homer Hunters?

Discussion topics include Alaska sea duck hunting and other species.

Moderator: badandy970

Any Homer Hunters?

Postby tbduck » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:12 am

With the change in the sea duck limit down there I was just wondering if any of you guys hunt there?

Seems like a crazy drop in limits. Is there really that much pressure? The proposal when put in did not have any data at all. Just seems like it is unsupported by data for such a huge jump. Any thoughts?

Thanks.
tbduck
hunter

Re: Any Homer Hunters?

Postby waldo2382 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:21 am

I'm pretty f------ P.O.'d about the drop. 10 to 2 sea ducks? I hunted a lot in December and I only saw one other person hunt besides my friend and I. Lots of harlies, scoters, longtails. Never really see the mergs where I go. There is one guy in Seldovia that guides just for ducks with maybe some winter kings if people want to, the the ducks are his bread and butter. I know him and it is more just to do something he really enjoys, but commercial fishes during the summer. Not a lot of people duck hunt here that I know of, especially sea ducks. If someone does go, it is because they're bored and don't really care what kind of duck is flying. I on the other hand won't have to sit on the beach so long this winter. Heck, I'll just drop the anchor on the boat and shoot the first two that come by. I'll be done in 3 minutes. It'll take longer to drop the anchor than to get a limit of ducks. Well at least we can still shoot the golden eye and maybe get some mallards in the right areas.
No granted I didn't shoot anywhere 10 sea ducks this year, I'd just have my friends shoot their ducks and be the clean up crew or just shoot a normal limit of 7 ducks of various species well under the possible 18 bird day I could have had.
Last year there was a limit of up to 7 of the sea duck limit can be harleys or oldsquaw. That's it, but you could shoot 10 scoters or mergies. Haven't seen any eiders, but you could shoot 10 of those things too. If you know where I can do that, let me know, please. Anyway, these are still yet to be printed by DFG, I hope it doesn't go to ink.
Alaskans for Global Warming

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."
waldo2382
hunter

Postby bucksducks » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:44 pm

all duck hunters should be upset by this proposal, regardless of weather they hunt sea ducks or not. anytime a reduction in any species is accomplished by one misguided individual, rather than biological justification is cause to be seriously alarmed. is this our future where the BOG bases their decisions on emotions and blatant lies rather than the states own head biologists? well, that's what happened. i am trying to get the BOG to take another look at what they did, by way of a petition and a lawyer, but i don't know what will happen.
in the meantime, any letters or signing of this petition would be appreciated. its not just me losing my business its all of us losing our rights.
buck brown
bucksducks
hunter

Postby waldo2382 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:53 pm

Hi Buck, nice to see you on here. It was a pleasure hunting with you in November 2007. I mailed a signed petition and a letter today. If there is anything I can do, let me know. I posted the petition on trapperman.com that has a lot of Alaskan residents.
Alaskans for Global Warming

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."
waldo2382
hunter

Postby Alaska Gray » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:48 am

We need to submit a prop to change it back.
The big thing two board members had was when Nancy said hunters shoot ducks and leave them in the water.
BOG failed to seperate enforcement issue with BOG issue.
Alaskan Bowhunters Association
Public Affairs
Gary Keller
Anchorage, AK 99502
Alaska Gray
hunter

Return to Alaska Duck Hunting