HELP WITH A GOOD DUCK OUTFITTER IN ND.

Share your insight with others in the North Dakota duck hunting forum in the heart of the Prairie Pothole Region.

Moderator: Chris_Hustad

HELP WITH A GOOD DUCK OUTFITTER IN ND.

Postby gooseman1 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:14 pm

im looking to go to nd in oct would like some help with a good outfitter,
and a good place to get some good shooting, thankyou.
gooseman1
hunter

Re: HELP WITH A GOOD DUCK OUTFITTER IN ND.

Postby duckhuntingchat.com » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:50 am

gooseman1 wrote:im looking to go to nd in oct would like some help with a good outfitter,
and a good place to get some good shooting, thankyou.

There are some bad ones here, without a doubt. Maybe checkout Tim Frantz...he slimmed own his operation the other year from quantity to quality and it sounds like it's working well.

http://www.coteaulodge.com/contact.htm
duckhuntingchat.com
Site Admin

Postby Pick » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:31 pm

Hey Chris picked a good outfitter,

Tim Frantz and his son guided us last year (Tim was actually in Hospital with a bad leg), but they put us on the birds. His son Cody also Mounted a crane for my hunting buddy. They are good people. Also in a good location. While we were there they also had several very well known Hunting Show Guys (Chas "Hammertime" Snapp, the Primos Crew and couple of others) but we were treated very well. If you have any questions send me a pm and I will send you my phone number.

PS - I recommend you ensure either Cody or Tim are your personal guides.

Tracy "Pick" Pickard -
Pick
Newb

Postby Mr. Can » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:09 pm

Take a dozen decoys, a pair of waders, and a ND map, and go to Devils Lake. There are several hotels there. There are plenty of WMA's around and you will have just as good as a hunt as if you went with an outfitter. There is no way you will not get your limit unless you have no idea of how to hunt ducks. Go to the small pot holes and bring 10 boxes of shells and see more ducks in one hour than a whole season where you are from.Then tell us how you did. I'll be there myself the third week of October.

Good Luck,

The E
Mr. Can
hunter

Postby duckhuntingchat.com » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:47 am

Mr. Can wrote:Go to the small pot holes and bring 10 boxes of shells

Hopefully it doesn't require that many shells for 5 ducks. :hammer: :thumbsup: Sorry, couldn't resist.

He's right, this is a freelance state. But there's always exceptions I guess.
duckhuntingchat.com
Site Admin

Postby Mr. Can » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:27 am

well maybe not 10 boxes, I just remember one windy day , which is everyday there!! But the truth is no guide needed. All land has public access unless posted, great hey!! You'll have more fun talking to farmers who hate ducks and want to get rid of them, then where your from. ND is reallly like dying anf going to duck hunting Heaven, Go and you'll know what I am taliking about!! Ssave your guide money and bribe your wife to let you go duck hunting more often!!! :hammer:

The E

P.S. Tell us of your experience!!!
Mr. Can
hunter

Postby uscgdaisey » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:01 am

james river outfitters is a good one
uscgdaisey
hunter

Postby diverhunter50 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:09 am

Hunted with Tim Frantz last year also, they really put us on the ducks and cranes. At what I would say a reasonable price with a place to stay and all the scouting done for us.
diverhunter50
hunter

Postby Capt. Ken Dempsey » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:58 am

Good advice for North Dakota hunters looking for guides. I hunted with Tim Frantz this past year and my experience wasn't very positive at all. First let me say that I've been a full time guide in NC for 27 years so I have some knowledge of how this all works. When we arrived the area was absolutely teeming with fowl. We were pumped up to say the least! I've hunted the Dakotas for the past 15 years but never this specific area so this was my first time hiring a guide in North Dakota. When we arrived the first thing Tim wanted was our payment in full. After this he spent a few minutes explaining his setup and then took us to the house he arranged for us to stay in. I'm not very particular about my accomadations on a waterfowl hunt but this place was pretty rough to say the least. Extension cords were stapled to the walls for the electrical and there was some rats. I could deal with this but he charged 3 of us 200.oo dollars for a night of lodging. I'm used to paying about 25.00 to 35.00 a night per hunter for much nicer lodging but no big deal because the hunting was the main agenda. After our initial meeting with Tim Frantz we hunted 3 days with his service. We shot one limit of birds in 3 days of hunting. One day we never fired our guns. I thought this was impossible in North Dakota. Our best hunt was a day of public hunting done on our own. Tim probably never spoke more than 50 words total after our first meeting. We hunted the same field twice and the third spot is where we never fired. Tim had 16 hunters in camp which was too many in my opinion. It appeared to be all about the money. On the poor days Tim explained that none of the parties had killed anything. This was not the case as we had spoke to some of the other hunters. Look waterfowl guiding can be a tough business and pleasing everybody can almost seem impossible at times but I left this place feeling cheated. I strongly suggest hunting on your own as there are plenty of public places and ranchers who will let you hunt. Treat the landowners with respect. Always ask permission, don't ride in their fields and lock all gates behind you. These are good folks, treat them as such. Good hunting to all of you and God Bless! Capt. Ken Dempsey
Capt. Ken Dempsey
hunter

Postby Jellie » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:18 pm

NorthStar Outfitters. Great hunters, good lodging, delicious cooking. PM and I will tell you about my experiences with them.
Jellie
hunter

Postby Old Hunter » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:58 am

Im sure that the NorthStar guys are good cooks and nice guys but the area they hunt is some of the most heavly hunted in the state. Streeter,Gackle and Kulm areas see lot of pressure these days. All of these towns have a lot of hunters houses that fill up all fall . Opening weekend Gackle has the Duckfest a hunting contest that has 50 -4 man teams that pound the the ducks for a large area, combine that with hunters houses and locals hunting its becoming a zoo.
Old Hunter
hunter

Postby mksmith1013 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:13 am

I hunted with Tim last year in early October '12 and would recommend him to anyone. He did not guide us, but he and son scouted birds each evening and put us on them the next morning. We did not limit every morning, but still got close. I am sure his guided trips are better, but we still had birds each day. We did have one bad morning, and it was because the way we set up. For the price, it's worth it. We did well and and honestly we didnt see that many birds flying the whole trip. We were there Oct 3-8.

The house we stayed in was perfect for our needs. He even took us on a Sandhill Crane hunt. He leased us a trailer on a daily basis that was rigged with coffin blinds, Big Foot Canadian decoys, a few bull body mallards, and a couple of mojos. They worked like a charm. He’s a great guy and we are coming back again this year.
mksmith1013
Newb

Return to North Dakota Duck Hunting