Duck Hunting Forum banner

Shooting at f/1.8

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  REM1100 
#1 ·
A couple of buddies and I went out shooting this morning and I figured I'd play around with the 50mm f/1.8 at 1.8.

See less See more
#4 ·
I just picked up a mint vintage 1985 xx Minolta 50mm F1.7 AF for $125 today and will give it a workout with and without the 1.4x teleconvertorthis weekend and post some hopefully sharp crisp pics at 75mm F1.7 and with the converter at 105mm F2.8

#6 ·
I just found out the f1.7 or f1.8 is an excellent lens for close ups and is real sharp and takes great head and shoulder portrai t shots. It's weakness is it is not a true 50mm but more like a 75mm with the crop factor and it does not do macro very well, also for distant wildlife shots beyond 10 yds it has no benefit..however it does do landscape shots and is good for close indoor shots where lighting is dim as it is a fast lens and works good at about two f stops stopped say f3.5 ( at wide open it is a little soft and blurred) There are not many lens that can
give a sharp picture for so little cost factor.

#7 ·
REM1100 said:
It's weakness is it is not a true 50mm but more like a 75mm with the crop factor and it does not do macro very well, also for distant wildlife shots beyond 10 yds it has no benefit..however it does do landscape shots and is good for close indoor shots where lighting is dim as it is a fast lens and works good at about two f stops stopped say f3.5 ( at wide open it is a little soft and blurred) There are not many lens that can
give a sharp picture for so little cost factor.
1) Yes, it is a true 50mm, that refers to its focal length, not how it might look on your cropped sensor

2) Of course it doesn't do macro shots, it's not a macro lens

3) It isn't intended as a telephoto, so it won't do far off wildlife shots either.

The purpose of the 50mm is sharp, fast pictures of a moderate distance - just like the ones posted in this thread. The "weaknesses" you pointed out aren't weaknesses at all, rather strengths of its intended purpose. If you want macro shots, buy a dedicated macro lens. For wildlife, buy a telephoto. The beauty of a DLSR system is the ability to change lenses for a desired result. There is no single lens that "does it all". Lenses that attempt this always have compromises in specific areas. :thumbsup:

#8 ·
Great for portrait shots
great for low light situations...no need for a flash indoors
Is a good lens for taking commercial pics
Is a fast lens
On a cropped ccd the 50mm becomes 75mm and is only a 50mm on a FF camera
These shots were taken at f3.5 and could have been shot sharper at f4.5 as this is the first opportunity to use the 50mm F1.7 minolta lens. I will be taking some more shots but at real people to check out the sharpness and skin tones outdoors soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.