Duck Hunting Forum banner

Adopting a lab

902 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Penguine 
#1 ·
So my fiance is definitely against buying a dog from a breeder. So I am thinking of adopting from a lab-rescue. What can I look for in teh dog when meeting it to determine if I think he/she will be a good hunter?

I imagine if they are skiddish they would be gun-shy, anythign else?

Thanks

#2 ·
Don't necessarily chalk skittishness up to gun shy, they may just be leary of new situations, namely you. Or they just may be that kind of dog. My 10 month old is deathly afraid of the dark or any loud noises. Get him in the field or show him a gun and his instincts go nuts and he turns into a hunting machine. He's still leary of loud noises unless they're coming from the end of a shotgun.

#3 ·
unrelated in a way, but hey... I adopted a mutt dog a couple years back and she was very, very skittish. That came from the previous owners beating the crap out of her and locking her in a small crate for days. After the vet got ahold of her and saved her life and turned the previous owners over to the law they put her up for adoption. I got her. She would not come out of her kennel to be with the family for like three months. She would eat and go back in, then she would go to the door and bark once. When I approached to let her out she would run and cower, once the door was opened she would go out, do her business, then sit at the door till it was opened again waiting for someone to let her in, not barking at all. When let in she would go right to her kennel and stay there. After like three months she started coming out and playing, and turned out to be a great dog. If you get one that is skittish just give it time. Time to break preconcieved notions and get out of their old rut.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.