Good handgun for the left hand

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

Postby Sinister » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:41 pm

I am looking at purchasing my 1st pistol soon, probably a semi-auto for target shooting. Being born sinister its always been difficult finding rifles, bows ect. I was just wondering if there are any handguns that are more friendly to us lefties in terms of safeties, mag and slide releases.

On a side note, last month I was so surprised to actually see a left handed rifle in the store that I just had to buy it:
Sinister
hunter

Re: Good handgun for the left hand

Postby MM » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:54 pm

Ahhhh.... Another south paw. About every brand out there is only right hand friendly. Fortunately for us, the best handgun on the market has a right/left hand mag release. Sprignfield XD series. :biggrin:

I have the XD45 and have put thousands of rounds through it with NO problems. Below is a link with some good reading. Hopefully your gun never goes through this but ya never know!

http://springfield-armory.primediaoutdo ... tory11.php

J
Like us on facebook! Reelfishingchat.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/ReelFishi ... 6234462878
MM
Super Moderator

Postby devildog28 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:43 pm

Sinister wrote:
On a side note, last month I was so surprised to actually see a left handed rifle in the store that I just had to buy it:

That is a yet another nice looking AR that has been ruined by a unecessary scope :no:

Take that biznatch off and put some peeps on the tack driver like real men do :yes:
devildog28
hunter

Postby jrode237 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:49 pm

Gotta agree with MM. I myself am a lefty and just picked up the XD45 Tactical. The slide release although made for righties (don't believe they offer one with left handed slide release) is quite easy to operate with the left hand or right thumb. Mag release is ambidexterous which is nice. The safety on my XD is in the trigger and the grip. I didn't find it necessary for the extra safety although many guys like them. Good luck with whatever you choose but ultimately handle the gun and get the one that feels the best in your hand (that is in your price range).
jrode237
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:06 am

jrode237 wrote:Gotta agree with MM. I myself am a lefty and just picked up the XD45 Tactical. The slide release although made for righties (don't believe they offer one with left handed slide release) is quite easy to operate with the left hand or right thumb. Mag release is ambidexterous which is nice. The safety on my XD is in the trigger and the grip. I didn't find it necessary for the extra safety although many guys like them. Good luck with whatever you choose but ultimately handle the gun and get the one that feels the best in your hand (that is in your price range).

I am left eye dominate, but write with my right hand. So with rifles and shotguns I shoot lefty, but with handguns, I actually shoot them right handed and I have found that it doesn't affect my shooting. I'm not saying you should do this, but that is what I do.

The main reason for my post is that I also have an XD45 Tactical and love it. I think they are great guns and every one I've picked up I have loved.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby DUJUNKIE » Sat May 30, 2009 8:16 am

GroundSwatter wrote:
jrode237 wrote:Gotta agree with MM. I myself am a lefty and just picked up the XD45 Tactical. The slide release although made for righties (don't believe they offer one with left handed slide release) is quite easy to operate with the left hand or right thumb. Mag release is ambidexterous which is nice. The safety on my XD is in the trigger and the grip. I didn't find it necessary for the extra safety although many guys like them. Good luck with whatever you choose but ultimately handle the gun and get the one that feels the best in your hand (that is in your price range).

I am left eye dominate, but write with my right hand. So with rifles and shotguns I shoot lefty, but with handguns, I actually shoot them right handed and I have found that it doesn't affect my shooting. I'm not saying you should do this, but that is what I do.

The main reason for my post is that I also have an XD45 Tactical and love it. I think they are great guns and every one I've picked up I have loved.

ground swatter im the same way
QUACK SMACKER
DUJUNKIE
Forum Moderator

Postby Preacher1011 » Sat May 30, 2009 9:52 am

Buy a revolver. Reliability wise you can't beat them, leave them loaded for 20 years and they'll still go bang (excluding Taurus). Plus they won't be kicking brass out in front of you every time.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby apexhunter » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:12 am

All of the pistols in the XD series are excellent pieces. I love my 40 SC and my brother has a SC and a XDM40 which I have shot a lot...any of these would serve you well. Also, many 1911 models have ambi thunb safeties and mag releases if you like that style of pistol. Like jrode mentioned, handle several pistols and get the one that feels, points and fits best in your hands.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby msmall » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:58 am

I've always been a fan of the H&K USP's .... Got 3 of them .45, .40, and 9 mm.......
msmall
hunter

Postby TEAM WEBFOOTPOSSE » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:55 pm

ruger p89dc no safety and left and right hand magazine ejection

we have a ruger p89dc and it is the best shooting 9mm i have ever shot
waterfowler20 wrote:
getemducks wrote:I am new to this but I think what you have there is a duck. :huh:

Are you crazy! That ain't no duck, thats one of'dem cackler gooses! :hi:
TEAM WEBFOOTPOSSE
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:34 pm

I have this one that I have posted on GB, Personally I believe that HK makes the Best handgun available (I give Sig a close 2nd). You just have to shop around until you find one that functions good for you. There are several out there that work or can be converted to left handed operation. I prefer my semi-autos to have a mechanical safety / decocker. :thumbsup:

7-13-09 016.JPG
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby TEAM WEBFOOTPOSSE » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:52 pm

i personally do not prefer a safety on a handgun because if someones in your house at 2am safety is one last thing i want to worry about i do like decockers tho i agree sig and hk make awesome guns
waterfowler20 wrote:
getemducks wrote:I am new to this but I think what you have there is a duck. :huh:

Are you crazy! That ain't no duck, thats one of'dem cackler gooses! :hi:
TEAM WEBFOOTPOSSE
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:32 pm

IA pistol is not my first choice as a home defense gun, The shotgun in the closet serves that purpose. But I carry as much as possible. I carry a revolver at times but with a pistol I like it "locked and Loaded" simular to the way the 1911's are commonly carried.

The benifit of a pistol over a revolver IMO is that I can carry 2 spare mags with my HK's and have 25 rounds on tap or with my XD I have 40 rounds of 45 acp. And all my brass goes to the side not in front of me. Not that you would ever need that kind of fire power in a defensive situation it is nice to know that it is easily accessable. I have fired 10 of thousands of rounds and never had a semi auto malfunction so the reliability is not an issue. but My revolvers are much more accurate than my semi-autos so it depends on what you want it for.

You mentioned target practice, In that case I would just go with a 9mm or 357/38 spl for the cheaper ammo / lower recoil.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Pintail-Peeler » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:05 am

HK P30
Gig 'Em
Adam

2013-2014 Strap:
Cans: 2
Bufflehead: 1
Redhead: 2
Mallard: 1
Gadwall: 13
Green Wing: 2
Spoony: 6
Pintail: 3
Ringneck: 5
mottled: 2
lesser scaup: 1
Pintail-Peeler
hunter

Postby raiderzig » Tue May 31, 2011 4:01 pm

I'm a leftie and I have a XD .45 . If I could I would own a Beretta PX 4 storm in .45 .Very Left hand friendly with a decocker
raiderzig
Newb

Postby TomKat » Tue May 31, 2011 4:27 pm

What about a .45acp with an ambi safety?
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby DanJeffandJack » Tue May 31, 2011 9:26 pm

Right handed, but left eye dominant here. Currently learning how to shoot left handed. Luckily it's proving relatively easy since I don't have much previous experience with my right hand.

I have an XD and it works fine left handed.

Tapatalk
vincentpa wrote:The southern boys get it all. It's not right.
DanJeffandJack
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:24 am

TomKat wrote:What about a .45acp with an ambi safety?

Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Vav » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:14 pm

left handed and just shot an xd 45 and no problems with brass flying in my face.
Vav
hunter

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum