Morning or Evening?

This is the Utah duck hunting forum where you are invited to communicate with other hunters like yourself.

Moderator: Spiraleyes

Morning or Evening?

Postby w1!dbill » Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:07 pm

Just thought I'd stir things up and get some conversation going :smile:

For weekday trips...If you had the option of either going into work late, or leaving early, which time of day would you pick for duck hunting?

Of course, a big old arctic cold front moving through :thumbsup: , would change the picture drastically, but let's just assume fairly seasonal weather for this discussion.

I've personally had some really awesome evening hunts. The big bonus is you don't really have to worry about getting up at 3:00 AM and beating everyone to the good spot in the dark. You also don't have to worry about going home to clean up, then daydream about hunting at work for the rest of the day. It's also easier to take some time in the parking lot and check out where everyone else, and the birds, are. I like the evenings on the weekdays.

How about you?

Bill
w1!dbill
hunter

Postby honer » Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:19 pm

i'll hunt both throughout the season, but i prefer morning hunts. it seems that generally speaking there are more birds flying in the morning then the evening. it may just be the areas i hunt, but mornings are better hunts for me.
Last edited by honer on Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
honer
State Moderator

Postby green head2 » Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:28 pm

I generally get to hunt two full weekdays every week because of my work schedule Thursdays and fridays And I agree with honer mornings always seem to be better But as long as you get to go it still beats work nomatter what time it is right
green head2
hunter

Postby Bret » Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:53 pm

It depends on the time of year and hunting pressure. Right now it would be morning, but I have had some great shoots in the afternoon when not a bird was seen in the morning so for what it is worth.....

Bret
Bret
hunter

Postby Spiraleyes » Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:50 pm

so, when you do a morning hunt, do you setup entirely in the dark? How much time before shooting hours are you setup? I've only done a handful of hunts in the morning. But I do see a lot more birds, especially if there isn't a front moving in.
Spiraleyes
State Moderator

Postby Bret » Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:15 am

I set up in the dark and usually give myself a half hour to sit and have a cup of coffee or something.
Bret
hunter

Postby w1!dbill » Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:37 am

I usually set up in the dark too on a morning hunt. Like Bret said, It's nice to sit back with a cup of coffee and relax a little. Watching the sun come up over the horizon and start lighting up the dekes is good for the soul. It's even better for the soul when those tasty teal zip through early like they're prone to do. I also like to get the spot I want when hunting public areas, so I get there really early. Headlamps are one of the greatest inventions ever :thumbsup:
w1!dbill
hunter

Postby UtahSprig » Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:06 am

Depends on the marsh, weather and bird flight paths. I will say that once we start to ice up then anytime works :thumbsup:
UtahSprig
hunter

Return to Utah Duck Hunting