Duck Hunting Forum banner

Finally Got a Thunder Chicken

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  A-Bomb 
#1 ·
After having many problems patterning.. I finally got one this morning.. My gun out of the box was shooting turkey choke and load a foot low and left.. I missed two birds earlier in the season and went back to the pattern board. I finally figured out a way to get my gun to shoot where I was pointing it.. So I went out this morning and walked in near where I have seen them roost before I pulled out the owl call and two of them gobbled about 75 yards away so my buddy and I set out the decoys and sat down.. About 10 min later the flew down and started coming out direction after I gave a few soft yelps.. They came to about 30 yards and I looked at my buddy and he nodded his head I took aim and shot.. He was going to try to take the other bird right after me but when it jumped it went right behind a brush pile and he could not shoot I picked my call back up and tried to get him to come back.. He thought about it but decided to walk off.. I shot him about 10 min after legal shooting light.. The bird I shot was not a monster the beard is a little over 10 inches and his spurs are only 3/4 of an inch.. But it was fun.. I was just glad to finally get one after have gun problems and missing two birds earlier in the season..

See less See more
#3 ·
NMBlackgold said:
Iowa, congrats on nailing the coffin shut.......not to change the subject but what did you do to get your shotgun shooting straight?? Glad to see I am not the only one who experienced a shotgun shooting low and left out of the box. Good job
Basically my problem was I put an ezhit sight on it and the sight was too far up the raised vent.. I took the ez hit off cut it short and took the factory bead off and put the ez hit further down the barrel the even the original bead was wich caused my ez hit to be lower the the original bead and it pretty much fixed the problem I just had to aim at the eye instead of the waddle.. The turkey loads and choke are the only loads an choke that shot low and left normal loads and normal chokes shot fine.. It is something about the heavy loads and tight choke which was causing the problem.. I have heard of it before just never had it happen to me till now.. What kind of gun do you have.. Mine is a Franchi

#4 ·
Mine is a Stoeger, it shot low and left (think I said low and right originally but meant low and left) out of the box.....like 15" or so. It is now decorated with a Burris Speeddot 129, i can zero it like a high powered rifle now, its a little heavier but like it non the less.

#5 ·
Congratulations!

I have a shotgun that I shoot deer with. It has a 3 power scope on it, and I was thinking about shooting it for turkey. I thought I would be able to use my gun as an optic to ID whether the incoming bird was a tom or not (sorry, eyes are failing after 40), and keep my gun up in case he was going to present a shot. My barrel for deer hunting is a 28 inch smooth-bore, that shoots right on at 50 to 100 yards. I figured, how far off could the gun be looking at the bead versus the scope? Well I'll tell you. It was left at least 12 inches, and right on the money for height? Strange how ballistics are? I can shoot the bead on that gun, and hit the mark with either a slug or with a turkey load, but the scope is off that much for my turkey load in comparison with a slug even at thirty yards? Either way, I would rather use a bead, for easier second shots, and for fear of reflective lenses that turkeys may see with those sharp eyes of theirs. The choke I find that works the best is a modified with a federal 3 inch mag shok load. I've used the super chokes, I've used the 3 and 1/2 inch, I've used all different types of loads, but for some crazy reason, this load and choke combination dumps them? I've turned a few other friends on to it, and they are finding the same success. I will add one small item. I don't shoot at anything beyond forty yards. I don't care if someone else does, I just don't. I have a 10 gauge with a super-full 32 inch barrel, that can shoot 2 and 1/2 ounces of shot from a 3 and 1/2 inch shell. I used to think that this gun could reach out and shoot those long-range birds, but I rolled a few at the longer ranges, only to watch them regain their composure and get away. Now do they live, or do they die a horrible death? I don't know? So for me, I have pulled in the reigns so to speak, and now limit myself to shots that present the most lethal opportunities......preferably at 5 feet! :beer: I really find it strange to believe that a gun would pattern so poorly as you guys describe, unless it was due to one of those super chokes checking up the wad or cup? If I had a new gun that was off to that degree looking down the rib, you can bet that it would be going back to the manufacturer, no matter if it was a Benelli or a Stoeger. Have either of you thought about seeing if your dominant eye is the problem? I shot sporting clays with a guy for two years who shot miserable numbers. We do the simple finger check with him, only to find he was right handed, and left-eyed dominant. Point your finger at a target out in front of you with both eyes open. Next, close your left eye. Your finger should seem like it stays on target. Now close your right eye, and the finger should move ever-so-slightly to the right. This is normal, and the opposite holds true for left-handed shooters. Anything other than this, and you're going to have a problem. May or not be the problem, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Again, congratulations on a good bird!

Pete

#6 ·
I know that I am cross eye dominate I am right handed and left eye is dominate.. That is the reason for the Ezhit sight.. I have trained my self with the ezhit to use my right eye.. And works great on ducks but for turkeys I close my left eye just to make sure with the fast flyers it is easier for me to do so I just solve the problem and close it for the walking birds.. I don't beleive it was the gun I believe it was the sight I put on it was too long and too far up the rib due to the high rib.. as soon as I took the sight off and just used the factory bead it shot just fine.. I am going to do some more patterning here soon with some duck loads and factory chokes and see how those do..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.