Problem MINK NEEDS GONE

Discussion on shooting predators & varmits and the trapping the furbearing animals.

Moderators: Preacher1011, nitrousneil

Problem MINK NEEDS GONE

Postby lostpup » Mon May 04, 2009 11:12 am

I have been having trouble with a " MINK " I belive. We have had 7-10 chickens come up dead in the last 2 weeks. Starting this past FRI the animal has just been stealing eggs. He can not fully hold the egg in his mouth and is breaking them and just eating them. I caught it leaving the hen house yesterday and it looks like a mink to me. I need to find a way to dispose of this PROBLEM. Can or would anyone please help with how to trap a mink. I have set a live trap but my experinces have told me I'm probly not going to have much luck with this method. Is a " box set " the way to go ? Like you would set for a weasle or martin. Also what foot hold size will be best. I would prefer to live trap and remove that way if possible, can anyone suggest how to get it to use the live trap. I live in southern Illinois and season is not open so I would prefer not to kill it if I can keep from it. Although I not past that if that is the only way to get rid of the PROBLEM......Thanks Lostpup
lostpup
Forum & State Moderator

Re: Problem MINK NEEDS GONE

Postby floating redneck » Mon May 04, 2009 6:29 pm

as far as what foothold would be good 1 or 1.5 to catch a mink in a live ( cage) trap use a good lure (shellfish oil ) or bait (sardines in a pinch) and camo the trap as good as possible ,they are not very trap shy but may take a few days to visit the set
"remember im pulling for you, we're all in this together" Red Green
floating redneck
hunter

Postby lostpup » Tue May 05, 2009 6:08 am

Thanks Redneck. I was right on with the foothold in my thinking. I have a few 110's also that I may be able to make work on it's excape route . I was alittle off of my thinking with the live trap though. I did not relize they are not trap shy. I tried wet catfood the first to nites and no visit yet. I will switch tonite if still no luck. I may switch to ground fish with an egg on them . He seems to be wanting or needing the eggs right now. I have saved some of the fish we have caught this spring and I'll gring it and try that for bait.....Any other suggestions for me......And thanks again for the help.......Lostpup
lostpup
Forum & State Moderator

Postby lostpup » Thu May 07, 2009 6:14 am

Well I have not caught the egg theif but I am no longer having problems . Maybe just alittle pressure on him made him move on. I will keep a eye out for any changes but as for now the best thing has work out. Not more problems ( for now) and I did not have to destroy the poor little &@$tard.........Thanks guy's for the PM's and all the help.......Lostpup
lostpup
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Preacher1011 » Thu May 07, 2009 1:48 pm

There's a few things that could have happened. He might have gotten eaten by something, or he may have found something else for the moment. You can bet bottom dollar if it's still alive it will be back. Especially this winter when it runs out of food and finds out there are penned up chickens with eggs.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby lostpup » Thu May 07, 2009 4:13 pm

Preacher1011 wrote:There's a few things that could have happened. He might have gotten eaten by something, or he may have found something else for the moment. You can bet bottom dollar if it's still alive it will be back. Especially this winter when it runs out of food and finds out there are penned up chickens with eggs.

Preacher I'm not calling it a done deal but for the moment I can consentrate more on where he is living and go about removing him that way . Instead of where he is eating cause that is way to much of a varyable. Again thanks for all the help..Lostpup
lostpup
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Preacher1011 » Fri May 08, 2009 8:29 am

By the way lostpup, where is the nearest stream, river, or lake to you? That's where he's going to be living. You may be able to get him there this trapping season.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby lostpup » Fri May 08, 2009 2:52 pm

Preacher We have a pretty big creek 150 yrds fron the hen house so This is where I'm looking for his den now. I hope I don't have any more problems before trapping season .
lostpup
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Preacher1011 » Sat May 09, 2009 12:03 pm

I hope so too lostpup. I'm sure you don't know whether its a male or female, but males have a home range of up to 5 miles and females less than 20 acres. Hopefully you find the den. It usually takes about 2 weeks for the male mink to travel its range, so it might have moved on to something else. How long till your trapping season?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby cjg » Sat May 09, 2009 5:08 pm

Have you called your local animal control? If they are stealing eggs it's probably only a matter of time before they are killing your chickens, you may not have to wait for a season. They may give you a permit to illiminate it any way, any time possible. #6s should work fine :thumbsup:
cjg
hunter

Postby lostpup » Mon May 11, 2009 11:14 am

Preacher our season starts Nov 10th or very close to that !
lostpup
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Predator Hunting & Trapping Forum