Fly pen for quail

Pheasant, turkey, dove, grouse, partridge, quail, squirrel, rabbits, etc.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, birddog crazy

Fly pen for quail

Postby dc73nova » Thu May 07, 2009 12:15 pm

I ordered 250 day old chicks that are coming in the middle of July. I already have several large holding pens that we used to use. I was wanting to build a fly pen to get the birds in better flying shape. Does anyone on here have any pictures they could share? Just looking for ideas how to set it up, length, width, height, access doors, shelter etc. Thanks in advance.

Darryl
dc73nova
hunter

Re: Fly pen for quail

Postby birddog crazy » Sat May 09, 2009 7:50 pm

a flight pen for quail should be tall like about 12 foot but not very long this way they fly up but will not become runners .. the best pen for quail that i seen is a darkened room in a barn . the birds are great flyers and crazy as hell . also do not forget to go and exercise the birds by scaring them , a leaf blower works great.
birddogs rule and all the rest drool, for birddogs love you for you and do not ask for anything in return but love so hug your birddog
birddog crazy
Forum & State Moderator

Postby dc73nova » Mon May 11, 2009 6:01 am

Thanks for the reply, we've raised them in the past, but always kept them in large holding pens. We've never had 250 birds before either. Usually between 100-150 birds that we use for our own release and to train dogs with. I was thinking of building it with a large shelter on one end with the flight pen attached. For the flight pen I was planning on keeping it 2-3 ft off the ground with wire mesh on the bottom, and netting (I have access to heavy nets that are used at the intake at a power plant) on the sides and roof. Do you guys think predators will be a problem with the netting? How long and wide do you think I should make this for this many birds? Thanks,

Darryl
dc73nova
hunter

Postby Gillen » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:23 pm

the ones that i have seen for the number of birds that you will have are about 10 to 15 feet wide and are about 1 to 3 feet above the ground and 10 to 12 feet high
Gillen
Newb

Postby Gillen » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:24 pm

the ones that i have seen for the number of birds that you will have are about 10 to 15 feet wide and are about 1 to 3 feet above the ground and 10 to 12 feet high
Gillen
Newb

Postby timpy » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:47 pm

The predators that I find most destructive are weasels but putting the off the ground helps and then I bend chicken wire downward to keep them from climbing the posts.
timpy
hunter

Return to Upland Game