What's Wrong???

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

What's Wrong???

Postby sabb66ca » Sat May 09, 2009 7:29 pm

Been hunting turkeys here in Ontario for a few years now but am far from a professional turkey hunter,,,,here's the problem,,,At first light I can get a Tom to gobble almost non stop but i can't seem to get him to come my way,,Is there something I should be doing when calling ,,more or less ,,or could it be that he is just following the hens off the roost,,I swear its like he says here I am just a 100 yards away and now I heading the other way,,any help or advise would be great,,,,thanks in advance,,,,Chuck
sabb66ca
hunter
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:33 am
Location: Ontario Canada


Re: What's Wrong???

Postby Indaswamp » Sat May 09, 2009 9:36 pm

sabb66ca wrote:Been hunting turkeys here in Ontario for a few years now but am far from a professional turkey hunter,,,,here's the problem,,,At first light I can get a Tom to gobble almost non stop but i can't seem to get him to come my way,,Is there something I should be doing when calling ,,more or less ,,or could it be that he is just following the hens off the roost,,I swear its like he says here I am just a 100 yards away and now I heading the other way,,any help or advise would be great,,,,thanks in advance,,,,Chuck


Chuck,
Here's a crash course....hope it helps. Read Tom Kelly's "The Tenth Legion" for an in depth initiation to the sport of turkey hunting.....

The reason he gobbles non-stop at first light is because he is expecting you(the hen) to go to him!! This is how it work for turkeys...
Yes he's probably got hens with him. An yes you may be calling too much...It's a gamble calling a lot when he's got hens. What you want to do is piss off the dominate hen that is with him so she will come to you thinking you are the new 8itch in town...with the gobbler in tow. If you get really aggressive-you could intimidate young hens with the tom and they will go the other direction pulling him with them. Or they may already have a travel pattern ...and you are just on the wrong side. Or you set up below them on a ridge...always set-up at the same level or above him....

If you hear hens...do EXACTLY what they do vocally. mimic the loudest most excited hen in the bunch....

Now, don't do this at first light when he's gobbling on the limb....wait till he hits the ground.
Worst thing to do is to call to much when he is getting closer to you just to hear him gobble...that is a surefire way to make him stop at 80-100 yards and not come any closer...he will go into strut and try to attract the loud mouth hen that he thinks he hears-this is how it works in nature. Fire him up- then go silent on him....let him gobble his fool head off...he knows where you are and if he's hot enough trust me he will come. when he gets 80-100 yards and you have not called to him in a while-you may hear him drum ... or cluck...start softly clucking and purring to make him commit.
And if he is gobbling at every call coming...then you call and he doesn't answer-get your gun up...he is committed usually. He has to stop to gobble, if has made up his mind to come-he won't stop to gobble .....This confuses a lot of new turkey hunters! So don't feel bad if you make these mistakes-there is a learning curve.

Now...If he's gobbling going back and forth on a ridge, you got to do this....usually he will gobble at the ends of his "route"...this is his "strut zone". Time his gobbles at each end....pick a side, and when he gets to that side, start to that side up the ridge....if you timed him, you know how long you got till he will be back. When you get to the top hurry and sit down (NO DECOY), get your gun up and softly yelp. He should gobble...few minutes later you should see him-bust his ***!! This works b/c you got inside his comfort zone.

Another tactic...If you can pinpoint his roost, is to get really tight on him quietly really early (1 hr. before gobbling light)-about 75-80 yards from his roost preferably between him and his hens...let the hens hit the ground and walk all over around you really close...and when he pitches out to them-bust his ***!!

If that don't work...and they don't hit the ground close enough to get a shot on the gobbler-and you don't spook them...make a move -a wide loop around them. If you know where they are headed...get in front of them.

If that don't work...and there are no other turkey's to fool with. Or you are on a small plot of woods...leave-go get some breakfast (or find a small field where you see turkeys, find a comfortable tree...and take a nap) - come back about 10am...his hens will be leaving the around this time to search for a nest, make a nest or lay an egg. See if you can get him to shock gobble to give away his location. Set up as close as you can with out bumping him (200 yards or so-farther if the tree are not leafed out yet and the woods are open. If he's gobbling on his own, trolling for lost hens, you might just kill 'em!!

Over the course of the season-he will go from playboy to lonely boy,as the hens go to nest- this is when he is most vulnerable....use it to your advantage. I've witnessed more birds die between 10am-2pm than I ever have straight off the roost.

If that don't work...set up close to his roost and catch him coming back in the afternoon.
good luck-and welcome to the Brotherhood of the Tenth Legion!! :hi: :thumbsup:

Now go my son and kill your turkey... :biggrin:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 57526
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: What's Wrong???

Postby cjg » Sat May 09, 2009 11:22 pm

Great reply :thumbsup: I would definately agree, he already has a hen or hens. Either find another bird or wait him out, eventually the hens will be done with him and if you haven't spooked him he may come back looking for you. Or try to call the hens to you, but they seem to lose interest quicker when you have to stop calling/moving when they get close. Scratching in the leaves and clucking seems to draw hens really good, but again you can only do this when you know they can't see you. Sometimes a bird like that is tough to kill early in the season, but later in the season he'll come in like he's on a string. Or leave him alone in the early morning and go in around 10 or so, but be ready he might not gobble at all that late, he'll just show up, have a good hiding spot and don't move.
User avatar
cjg
hunter
 
Posts: 980
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:46 am
Location: North Waterboro, Maine

Re: What's Wrong???

Postby stumpjumper » Sun May 10, 2009 7:19 am

AWSOME reply!!!!!!!!! Words of truth.

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
User avatar
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 2644
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:03 pm
Location: NC

Re: What's Wrong???

Postby CALLEMQUACKTN » Sun May 10, 2009 11:58 am

Indaswamp wrote:
sabb66ca wrote:Been hunting turkeys here in Ontario for a few years now but am far from a professional turkey hunter,,,,here's the problem,,,At first light I can get a Tom to gobble almost non stop but i can't seem to get him to come my way,,Is there something I should be doing when calling ,,more or less ,,or could it be that he is just following the hens off the roost,,I swear its like he says here I am just a 100 yards away and now I heading the other way,,any help or advise would be great,,,,thanks in advance,,,,Chuck


Chuck,
Here's a crash course....hope it helps. Read Tom Kelly's "The Tenth Legion" for an in depth initiation to the sport of turkey hunting.....

The reason he gobbles non-stop at first light is because he is expecting you(the hen) to go to him!! This is how it work for turkeys...
Yes he's probably got hens with him. An yes you may be calling too much...It's a gamble calling a lot when he's got hens. What you want to do is piss off the dominate hen that is with him so she will come to you thinking you are the new 8itch in town...with the gobbler in tow. If you get really aggressive-you could intimidate young hens with the tom and they will go the other direction pulling him with them. Or they may already have a travel pattern ...and you are just on the wrong side. Or you set up below them on a ridge...always set-up at the same level or above him....

If you hear hens...do EXACTLY what they do vocally. mimic the loudest most excited hen in the bunch....

Now, don't do this at first light when he's gobbling on the limb....wait till he hits the ground.
Worst thing to do is to call to much when he is getting closer to you just to hear him gobble...that is a surefire way to make him stop at 80-100 yards and not come any closer...he will go into strut and try to attract the loud mouth hen that he thinks he hears-this is how it works in nature. Fire him up- then go silent on him....let him gobble his fool head off...he knows where you are and if he's hot enough trust me he will come. when he gets 80-100 yards and you have not called to him in a while-you may hear him drum ... or cluck...start softly clucking and purring to make him commit.
And if he is gobbling at every call coming...then you call and he doesn't answer-get your gun up...he is committed usually. He has to stop to gobble, if has made up his mind to come-he won't stop to gobble .....This confuses a lot of new turkey hunters! So don't feel bad if you make these mistakes-there is a learning curve.

Now...If he's gobbling going back and forth on a ridge, you got to do this....usually he will gobble at the ends of his "route"...this is his "strut zone". Time his gobbles at each end....pick a side, and when he gets to that side, start to that side up the ridge....if you timed him, you know how long you got till he will be back. When you get to the top hurry and sit down (NO DECOY), get your gun up and softly yelp. He should gobble...few minutes later you should see him-bust his ***!! This works b/c you got inside his comfort zone.

Another tactic...If you can pinpoint his roost, is to get really tight on him quietly really early (1 hr. before gobbling light)-about 75-80 yards from his roost preferably between him and his hens...let the hens hit the ground and walk all over around you really close...and when he pitches out to them-bust his ***!!

If that don't work...and they don't hit the ground close enough to get a shot on the gobbler-and you don't spook them...make a move -a wide loop around them. If you know where they are headed...get in front of them.

If that don't work...and there are no other turkey's to fool with. Or you are on a small plot of woods...leave-go get some breakfast (or find a small field where you see turkeys, find a comfortable tree...and take a nap) - come back about 10am...his hens will be leaving the around this time to search for a nest, make a nest or lay an egg. See if you can get him to shock gobble to give away his location. Set up as close as you can with out bumping him (200 yards or so-farther if the tree are not leafed out yet and the woods are open. If he's gobbling on his own, trolling for lost hens, you might just kill 'em!!

Over the course of the season-he will go from playboy to lonely boy,as the hens go to nest- this is when he is most vulnerable....use it to your advantage. I've witnessed more birds die between 10am-2pm than I ever have straight off the roost.

If that don't work...set up close to his roost and catch him coming back in the afternoon.
good luck-and welcome to the Brotherhood of the Tenth Legion!! :hi: :thumbsup:

Now go my son and kill your turkey... :biggrin:




What he said!! Try not to call to him on the roost if at all possible!1
CALLEMQUACKTN
hunter
 
Posts: 533
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:47 pm
Location: NORMANDY, TN.

Re: What's Wrong???

Postby sabb66ca » Sun May 10, 2009 12:00 pm

Thanks for the info I'm sure it will help ,,,now its just getting out of work for a day or two to try it out,,,,if it works your invited to dinner,,,,thanks again,,,,, Chuck
sabb66ca
hunter
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:33 am
Location: Ontario Canada

Re: What's Wrong???

Postby Pete-pec » Sun May 10, 2009 5:46 pm

CALLEMQUACKTN wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
sabb66ca wrote:Been hunting turkeys here in Ontario for a few years now but am far from a professional turkey hunter,,,,here's the problem,,,At first light I can get a Tom to gobble almost non stop but i can't seem to get him to come my way,,Is there something I should be doing when calling ,,more or less ,,or could it be that he is just following the hens off the roost,,I swear its like he says here I am just a 100 yards away and now I heading the other way,,any help or advise would be great,,,,thanks in advance,,,,Chuck


Chuck,
Here's a crash course....hope it helps. Read Tom Kelly's "The Tenth Legion" for an in depth initiation to the sport of turkey hunting.....

The reason he gobbles non-stop at first light is because he is expecting you(the hen) to go to him!! This is how it work for turkeys...
Yes he's probably got hens with him. An yes you may be calling too much...It's a gamble calling a lot when he's got hens. What you want to do is piss off the dominate hen that is with him so she will come to you thinking you are the new 8itch in town...with the gobbler in tow. If you get really aggressive-you could intimidate young hens with the tom and they will go the other direction pulling him with them. Or they may already have a travel pattern ...and you are just on the wrong side. Or you set up below them on a ridge...always set-up at the same level or above him....

If you hear hens...do EXACTLY what they do vocally. mimic the loudest most excited hen in the bunch....

Now, don't do this at first light when he's gobbling on the limb....wait till he hits the ground.
Worst thing to do is to call to much when he is getting closer to you just to hear him gobble...that is a surefire way to make him stop at 80-100 yards and not come any closer...he will go into strut and try to attract the loud mouth hen that he thinks he hears-this is how it works in nature. Fire him up- then go silent on him....let him gobble his fool head off...he knows where you are and if he's hot enough trust me he will come. when he gets 80-100 yards and you have not called to him in a while-you may hear him drum ... or cluck...start softly clucking and purring to make him commit.
And if he is gobbling at every call coming...then you call and he doesn't answer-get your gun up...he is committed usually. He has to stop to gobble, if has made up his mind to come-he won't stop to gobble .....This confuses a lot of new turkey hunters! So don't feel bad if you make these mistakes-there is a learning curve.

Now...If he's gobbling going back and forth on a ridge, you got to do this....usually he will gobble at the ends of his "route"...this is his "strut zone". Time his gobbles at each end....pick a side, and when he gets to that side, start to that side up the ridge....if you timed him, you know how long you got till he will be back. When you get to the top hurry and sit down (NO DECOY), get your gun up and softly yelp. He should gobble...few minutes later you should see him-bust his ***!! This works b/c you got inside his comfort zone.

Another tactic...If you can pinpoint his roost, is to get really tight on him quietly really early (1 hr. before gobbling light)-about 75-80 yards from his roost preferably between him and his hens...let the hens hit the ground and walk all over around you really close...and when he pitches out to them-bust his ***!!

If that don't work...and they don't hit the ground close enough to get a shot on the gobbler-and you don't spook them...make a move -a wide loop around them. If you know where they are headed...get in front of them.

If that don't work...and there are no other turkey's to fool with. Or you are on a small plot of woods...leave-go get some breakfast (or find a small field where you see turkeys, find a comfortable tree...and take a nap) - come back about 10am...his hens will be leaving the around this time to search for a nest, make a nest or lay an egg. See if you can get him to shock gobble to give away his location. Set up as close as you can with out bumping him (200 yards or so-farther if the tree are not leafed out yet and the woods are open. If he's gobbling on his own, trolling for lost hens, you might just kill 'em!!

Over the course of the season-he will go from playboy to lonely boy,as the hens go to nest- this is when he is most vulnerable....use it to your advantage. I've witnessed more birds die between 10am-2pm than I ever have straight off the roost.

If that don't work...set up close to his roost and catch him coming back in the afternoon.
good luck-and welcome to the Brotherhood of the Tenth Legion!! :hi: :thumbsup:

Now go my son and kill your turkey... :biggrin:




What he said!! Try not to call to him on the roost if at all possible!1


Every bit of this is sound advice, right from the mouths of people who know. Do you know how I know? Because as a self taught turkey hunter, I made every mistake that has been described. I never had a mentor teaching me. I only read a few books, and with my capacity of taking in the words of the author without falling asleep, I really didn't grasp as much from the books as I did from making those mistakes. I just came off a miserable season. I would call myself a veteran, and I didn't take my own advice. I made dumb mistakes. I didn't stick to the regiment, and the fundamentals. I basically looked like a 12-year-old. I however learned even more. What I have learned is simple. Sit more, and call less. Learn to pattern these birds, and don't give up after the birds stop talking. I find when a bird goes quiet, more often than not he's lurking around the next tree. Today was the last day of my five day season here in Wisconsin, and after some trial and error, I set up the blind where I had patterned a few birds that will fly down, and come out to the field I am observing (listen closely) without the aid of my calling or my decoys! I finally left my bag in the truck, and walked in with solely my gun. At 5:55 this morning at the top of the fifth inning (the season being only five days long) I shot my tom in his face, and never said a peep. Why? I didn't need to. The previous 4 days, when I would call (even like Indaswamp had described), the hen would take my gobbler in the completely opposite direction, and very quickly I may add. I know. You'd think the tom is the boss, but the power of the sex strikes again, and she in fact dictates most of what happens in the turkey world....at least in the breeding sense.

Pete

Pete
User avatar
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 3138
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2004 7:39 am
Location: Southern Wisconsin

Re: What's Wrong???

Postby A-Bomb » Mon May 11, 2009 7:18 am

Thats an excellent reply. Theres not much to say there. :thumbsup: ...Get where the turkeys wanna be and youll have much better luck.

Been having some hen issues myself. We have gobblers galore, but keep getting messed up by hens. Seems we'll get one coming, but a hen will come outta the woodlot and lure him off. Or, like on Saturday morning about 10ish in the morning, I had a great tom coming in, but he was intimidated by old Pretty Boy. :no: Just wouldnt commit that last 80 yds. Strutted back and forth gobbling. I thought for sure he would run right in after watching him win fights with a few other gobblers that morning...but no dice....Wish i could hunt the woods he's coming outta. Itd be lights out...He's outta there by 6:25 every morning, same location...If i could only set up there. But, he's gotta make his way acrossed a wheat field to get to me. And dealilng with his contingent of hens and the odd hen here and there has made that difficult. I made an adjustment to my field blind set, so we'll see if that pays dividends next time out....Frustration is part of turkey hunting. Sometimes you have to adapt and over come.
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
http://www.midha.org/
User avatar
A-Bomb
hunter
 
Posts: 1051
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:05 pm
Location: Where the birds are

Re: What's Wrong???

Postby NMBlackgold » Mon May 11, 2009 9:19 am

Sabb66, What are you doing wrong??? Nothing.....you just picked the wrong bird at the wrong time......move on to another one!

Best of luck
NMBlackgold
hunter
 
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:52 pm
Location: Las Cruces, NM

Re: What's Wrong???

Postby CALLEMQUACKTN » Mon May 11, 2009 10:49 am

So true!! Don't get stuck on a season Wrecker!!!!! Just find another bird.
CALLEMQUACKTN
hunter
 
Posts: 533
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:47 pm
Location: NORMANDY, TN.

Re: What's Wrong???

Postby NMBlackgold » Mon May 11, 2009 11:48 am

CALLEMQUACKTN wrote:So true!! Don't get stuck on a season Wrecker!!!!! Just find another bird.


Callemquacktn, season wrecker is perfectly put, but in chucks' case, it could be a carrier wrecker, i want chuck around for future turkeys seasons, not killing himself over a situation that is totally out of his control and giving up the sport. I would bet there is a "Season Maker" within a 1/2 mile radius of "Season Wrecker" and probably with the same beard length, and the same spur length, just with a broken heart. But "Season Maker" looks like Season Wrecker in the back of the pickup!! Only chuck would know the diff...
NMBlackgold
hunter
 
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:52 pm
Location: Las Cruces, NM

Re: What's Wrong???

Postby Indaswamp » Mon May 11, 2009 5:56 pm

A-Bomb wrote,
I had a great tom coming in, but he was intimidated by old Pretty Boy.


If it's a satellite 2 year old...a strutting decoy may scare him off. I don't use one unless I know for certain that the bird I'm fooling with is a dominate bird.

Most times, I use 1 jake decoy...seems to be the best for me. 2 yr olds and dominate birds will jump at the chance to kick the sh!t outta a lone jake. Gaggles of jakes have been known to scare off long beards-and I've seen that happen- but not one by himself.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 57526
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: What's Wrong???

Postby Indaswamp » Mon May 11, 2009 6:10 pm

NMBlackgold wrote:
CALLEMQUACKTN wrote:So true!! Don't get stuck on a season Wrecker!!!!! Just find another bird.


Callemquacktn, season wrecker is perfectly put, but in chucks' case, it could be a carrier wrecker, i want chuck around for future turkeys seasons, not killing himself over a situation that is totally out of his control and giving up the sport. I would bet there is a "Season Maker" within a 1/2 mile radius of "Season Wrecker" and probably with the same beard length, and the same spur length, just with a broken heart. But "Season Maker" looks like Season Wrecker in the back of the pickup!! Only chuck would know the diff...


NMBlackgold...Season wreckers are what diehard turkey hunters live for. You can't learn anything new from the easy ones that make you look good. But I agree for your first one...you need a hot 2 year old....
Season Wreckers are the turkeys that evolve to have their own names....famous turkeys you fool with.

Like Clockwise..., grande..., 2 toe..., Road Runner..., double gobble..., the general..., double cluck..., and I have plenty of others. I have learned more about turkey hunting from the ones I don't kill than any of the ones I do....
That sounds like a good thread...
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 57526
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: What's Wrong???

Postby A-Bomb » Mon May 11, 2009 6:41 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
A-Bomb wrote,
I had a great tom coming in, but he was intimidated by old Pretty Boy.


If it's a satellite 2 year old...a strutting decoy may scare him off. I don't use one unless I know for certain that the bird I'm fooling with is a dominate bird.

Most times, I use 1 jake decoy...seems to be the best for me. 2 yr olds and dominate birds will jump at the chance to kick the sh!t outta a lone jake. Gaggles of jakes have been known to scare off long beards-and I've seen that happen- but not one by himself.


I hear ya. I just figured that he would accept the challenge. Ive watched this bird allot over the last week or so. He hangs out with a jake, but any other birds that come around he fights and wins. Seen him whip a really nice tom Saturday morning. Could be that they initiated the contact though and he just responded. Seems he isnt looking for trouble unless it comes to him....But, i gotta get him away from the hens first...and you know how that goes. So, the chess match continues and its my serve.....We'll try him again here in a few days.:thumbsup:

Question for you...Are you using just a standard jake decoy or a strutting jake decoy?
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
http://www.midha.org/
User avatar
A-Bomb
hunter
 
Posts: 1051
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:05 pm
Location: Where the birds are

Re: What's Wrong???

Postby Indaswamp » Mon May 11, 2009 7:08 pm

A-Bomb wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
A-Bomb wrote,
I had a great tom coming in, but he was intimidated by old Pretty Boy.


If it's a satellite 2 year old...a strutting decoy may scare him off. I don't use one unless I know for certain that the bird I'm fooling with is a dominate bird.

Most times, I use 1 jake decoy...seems to be the best for me. 2 yr olds and dominate birds will jump at the chance to kick the sh!t outta a lone jake. Gaggles of jakes have been known to scare off long beards-and I've seen that happen- but not one by himself.


I hear ya. I just figured that he would accept the challenge. Ive watched this bird allot over the last week or so. He hangs out with a jake, but any other birds that come around he fights and wins. Seen him whip a really nice tom Saturday morning. Could be that they initiated the contact though and he just responded. Seems he isnt looking for trouble unless it comes to him....But, i gotta get him away from the hens first...and you know how that goes. So, the chess match continues and its my serve.....We'll try him again here in a few days.:thumbsup:



Question for you...Are you using just a standard jake decoy or a strutting jake decoy?


Standard jake....but instead of putting the stake in the premade hole, we always move the stake towards the head about 2-3 inches...this makes the bird appear like he is standing upright. Which if you watch turkeys enough...that is what a lone jake will do when a bigger mature tom approaches from far off. It also pisses the bigger bird off if the jake don't lower his head as the mature bird gets close....this is a dominance thing...notice it the next time you witness birds interacting. It works...only other thing I might suggest is a jake in this position and a hen in the ready position squatting on the ground in front of him-that might just do it for you..especially if he's up on a hill and has a clear view...somthin to think about...


And especially since you mention that he's got a jake hanging out with him!!!
Last edited by Indaswamp on Mon May 11, 2009 10:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 57526
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: What's Wrong???

Postby NMBlackgold » Mon May 11, 2009 8:21 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
NMBlackgold wrote:
CALLEMQUACKTN wrote:So true!! Don't get stuck on a season Wrecker!!!!! Just find another bird.


Callemquacktn, season wrecker is perfectly put, but in chucks' case, it could be a carrier wrecker, i want chuck around for future turkeys seasons, not killing himself over a situation that is totally out of his control and giving up the sport. I would bet there is a "Season Maker" within a 1/2 mile radius of "Season Wrecker" and probably with the same beard length, and the same spur length, just with a broken heart. But "Season Maker" looks like Season Wrecker in the back of the pickup!! Only chuck would know the diff...


NMBlackgold...Season wreckers are what diehard turkey hunters live for. You can't learn anything new from the easy ones that make you look good. But I agree for your first one...you need a hot 2 year old....
Season Wreckers are the turkeys that evolve to have their own names....famous turkeys you fool with.

Like Clockwise..., grande..., 2 toe..., Road Runner..., double gobble..., the general..., double cluck..., and I have plenty of others. I have learned more about turkey hunting from the ones I don't kill than any of the ones I do....
That sounds like a good thread...


Indaswamp.....I too have compiled many nicknames over the years.......like.....ol tough luck.........trunk slammer..........grey and gettin greyer.....tire kicker....box call tosser....etc. However these are not the names of boss gobblers I have encountered, these are the names of ex. turkey hunters I know that took on the wrong birds too early in their career. I wasn't sure if Chuck was at the "diehard" stage yet or not. Sounded like maybe he only had a few days a year to dedicate to this endevour. I just wanted him to know that he probably wasn't doing anything wrong, it was more likely circumstances out of his control at that moment in the season. Moving on to a satelite gobbler is not an admittion of defeat but actually a turkey hunting technique. It presents a whole new set of challenges (in both calling and hunting) he can learn from and maybe even take a bird at the same time. I always like "positive feedback" early in a hunting career.
NMBlackgold
hunter
 
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:52 pm
Location: Las Cruces, NM

Re: What's Wrong???

Postby Indaswamp » Mon May 11, 2009 10:15 pm

NMBlackgold wrote,
Indaswamp.....I too have compiled many nicknames over the years.......like.....ol tough luck.........trunk slammer..........grey and gettin greyer.....tire kicker....box call tosser....etc. However these are not the names of boss gobblers I have encountered, these are the names of ex. turkey hunters I know that took on the wrong birds too early in their career. I wasn't sure if Chuck was at the "diehard" stage yet or not. Sounded like maybe he only had a few days a year to dedicate to this endevour. I just wanted him to know that he probably wasn't doing anything wrong, it was more likely circumstances out of his control at that moment in the season. Moving on to a satelite gobbler is not an admittion of defeat but actually a turkey hunting technique. It presents a whole new set of challenges (in both calling and hunting) he can learn from and maybe even take a bird at the same time. I always like "positive feedback" early in a hunting career.


Nice...I almost coughed up a lung laughing at those names...truck slammer really got me....I'll share the story one day-but I'm guessing it's the same as yours...Turkey hunting takes a special breed no doubt! But you have to be willing to learn and ask questions....

Down here in Louisiana...when I first started, there were still places that had the habitat but no birds. If you heard a bird - you were lucky. I hunted for two seasons before I even heard one gobble!! Swamp birds are by far the toughest there is - bar none...and I've hunted every type of terrain there is-except extreme mountians with deep snow-I bet that is tough. And I even hunted a junk yard once...so I know what it is like Pete. Cutting your teeth on tough birds makes going to other places in other states a dream...
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 57526
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: What's Wrong???

Postby Indaswamp » Mon May 11, 2009 10:42 pm

What he said!! Try not to call to him on the roost if at all possible!1


Every bit of this is sound advice, right from the mouths of people who know. Do you know how I know? Because as a self taught turkey hunter, I made every mistake that has been described. I never had a mentor teaching me. I only read a few books, and with my capacity of taking in the words of the author without falling asleep, I really didn't grasp as much from the books as I did from making those mistakes. I just came off a miserable season. I would call myself a veteran, and I didn't take my own advice. I made dumb mistakes. I didn't stick to the regiment, and the fundamentals. I basically looked like a 12-year-old. I however learned even more. What I have learned is simple. Sit more, and call less. Learn to pattern these birds, and don't give up after the birds stop talking. I find when a bird goes quiet, more often than not he's lurking around the next tree. Today was the last day of my five day season here in Wisconsin, and after some trial and error, I set up the blind where I had patterned a few birds that will fly down, and come out to the field I am observing (listen closely) without the aid of my calling or my decoys! I finally left my bag in the truck, and walked in with solely my gun. At 5:55 this morning at the top of the fifth inning (the season being only five days long) I shot my tom in his face, and never said a peep. Why? I didn't need to. The previous 4 days, when I would call (even like Indaswamp had described), the hen would take my gobbler in the completely opposite direction, and very quickly I may add. I know. You'd think the tom is the boss, but the power of the sex strikes again, and she in fact dictates most of what happens in the turkey world....at least in the breeding sense.

Pete

Pete[/quote]

My brother and I have used this technique before...one gets on one side and calls aggressively, the other one gets on the other side and is silent(400-500 yards apart) and if he she goes to the aggressive calling one of us will kill him-If the hen pulls him the other way- the other will kill him. but I only recommend this tactic with someone you hunt with REGULARLY and you know each others thoughts....we are brothers and live in the turkey woods together so we have a very good unspoken communication....
But this tactic will work in the right instances on tough birds..It is best to put some terrain between you -like a small ridge just for safety...Just be extra safe if you do this tactic boys...too many people getting killed in the turkey wood as it is!!
this works well on ridges if the turkeys are traveling on top the ridge..just put a rise between you.

Our signal that we are walking in the others direction is 5 blasts on our crow call- easy to tell a fake crow call and I know how my brother blows it -at that point the guns are unloaded and not pointed in the woods!!

can't tell you how many tough, loud, long-spurred birds we have hair-lipped doing this....
It ain't my prefered way...but it is very effective. Just have to be very safe about it with terrain and distance...

Float calling also works well on birds that hang up regularly...that is when one person calls about 75-80 yards behind the guy with the gun...if the bird tries to go to the right( gobbling so you can pinpoint him)...the guy calling can float to the left to pull the gobbler by the gunner and vice-versa...

O.k. that's enough giving away my secrets....
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 57526
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: What's Wrong???

Postby NMBlackgold » Tue May 12, 2009 10:03 am

Indaswamp wrote:
NMBlackgold wrote,
Indaswamp.....I too have compiled many nicknames over the years.......like.....ol tough luck.........trunk slammer..........grey and gettin greyer.....tire kicker....box call tosser....etc. However these are not the names of boss gobblers I have encountered, these are the names of ex. turkey hunters I know that took on the wrong birds too early in their career. I wasn't sure if Chuck was at the "diehard" stage yet or not. Sounded like maybe he only had a few days a year to dedicate to this endevour. I just wanted him to know that he probably wasn't doing anything wrong, it was more likely circumstances out of his control at that moment in the season. Moving on to a satelite gobbler is not an admittion of defeat but actually a turkey hunting technique. It presents a whole new set of challenges (in both calling and hunting) he can learn from and maybe even take a bird at the same time. I always like "positive feedback" early in a hunting career.


Nice...I almost coughed up a lung laughing at those names...truck slammer really got me....I'll share the story one day-but I'm guessing it's the same as yours...Turkey hunting takes a special breed no doubt! But you have to be willing to learn and ask questions....

Down here in Louisiana...when I first started, there were still places that had the habitat but no birds. If you heard a bird - you were lucky. I hunted for two seasons before I even heard one gobble!! Swamp birds are by far the toughest there is - bar none...and I've hunted every type of terrain there is-except extreme mountians with deep snow-I bet that is tough. And I even hunted a junk yard once...so I know what it is like Pete. Cutting your teeth on tough birds makes going to other places in other states a dream...


Indaswamp.....please share your story with us........... :thumbsup:
NMBlackgold
hunter
 
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:52 pm
Location: Las Cruces, NM

Re: What's Wrong???

Postby NorCalHunt » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:40 pm

This has got to be one of the best threads on the forum. :thumbsup: Way too much information. :yes:
User avatar
NorCalHunt
hunter
 
Posts: 164
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:48 pm
Location: Rice Country CA

Re: What's Wrong???

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:21 pm

NMBlackgold wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
NMBlackgold wrote,
Indaswamp.....I too have compiled many nicknames over the years.......like.....ol tough luck.........trunk slammer..........grey and gettin greyer.....tire kicker....box call tosser....etc. However these are not the names of boss gobblers I have encountered, these are the names of ex. turkey hunters I know that took on the wrong birds too early in their career. I wasn't sure if Chuck was at the "diehard" stage yet or not. Sounded like maybe he only had a few days a year to dedicate to this endevour. I just wanted him to know that he probably wasn't doing anything wrong, it was more likely circumstances out of his control at that moment in the season. Moving on to a satelite gobbler is not an admittion of defeat but actually a turkey hunting technique. It presents a whole new set of challenges (in both calling and hunting) he can learn from and maybe even take a bird at the same time. I always like "positive feedback" early in a hunting career.


Nice...I almost coughed up a lung laughing at those names...truck slammer really got me....I'll share the story one day-but I'm guessing it's the same as yours...Turkey hunting takes a special breed no doubt! But you have to be willing to learn and ask questions....

Down here in Louisiana...when I first started, there were still places that had the habitat but no birds. If you heard a bird - you were lucky. I hunted for two seasons before I even heard one gobble!! Swamp birds are by far the toughest there is - bar none...and I've hunted every type of terrain there is-except extreme mountians with deep snow-I bet that is tough. And I even hunted a junk yard once...so I know what it is like Pete. Cutting your teeth on tough birds makes going to other places in other states a dream...


Indaswamp.....please share your story with us........... :thumbsup:


Truckslammer...
We were scouting on a State WMA in Louisiana that had just opened to turkey hunting having been stocked 6 years prior. We were on our way out of the woods from pegging down some roosted birds gobbling in the morning about 2 weeks before the season opened. When we were about 100 yards from the road, we see a truck driving slow, then stop. a guy gets out-obviously a logger, walks to the back of the truck, grabs a chain out of the back of the truck, and slams it down on the tailgate. then he hunches over and cups both ears to try and hear a turkey gobble...
We couldn't contain our laughter...it struck us right square on the funny bone :lol3: :clapping:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 57526
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: What's Wrong???

Postby NMBlackgold » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:22 pm

hmmmmmm.....I don't have a chain but maybe a set of jumper cables or a dog leash might work, our birds can be a bit call shy sometimes! :grooving:
NMBlackgold
hunter
 
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:52 pm
Location: Las Cruces, NM

Re: What's Wrong???

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:24 pm

NMBlackgold wrote:hmmmmmm.....I don't have a chain but maybe a set of jumper cables or a dog leash might work, our birds can be a bit call shy sometimes! :grooving:

Try an Air Horn...short blasts work wonders!! :thumbsup: :biggrin:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 57526
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana


Return to Turkey Hunting Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest