Sweet New Rest

From big game to target practice to 3d shoots

Moderators: LaRedneck, birddog crazy, buffleheadnc2

Sweet New Rest

Postby Preacher1011 » Sat May 09, 2009 9:17 pm

So I'm not a fan of fall aways at all, but have any of y'all seen the new Trip Wire drop away by Octane? Our other archery tech brought one back from the show in Oregon and it's a pretty neat rest. Pretty much like the Ripcord, but it's metal. Plus when you draw and let your draw down it doesn't go down with it. Check it out, I'm pretty impressed but I'm still sticking with my Hostage Pro although if this one didn't cost so much I would consider switching.

http://www.fuelthehunt.com/tripwire.php
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Re: Sweet New Rest

Postby Greenhead Grappler » Sun May 10, 2009 1:41 pm

Havent seen one until now, but it looks pretty sweet. Com'on preach step over to the dark side of drop aways. :devil:
I still like my simple drop zone though
Canceling Flights in the backwater of Northwest LA
Greenhead Grappler
Forum Moderator

Postby GroundSwatter » Mon May 11, 2009 7:14 am

yeah, when I looked at the ripcord in person, I couldn't believe it was made of all plastic. I might consider buying one of these guys.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Mon May 11, 2009 4:21 pm

Only downside is they are like 130 bucks or so. All Octane stuff is expensive for some reason. I guess it's because they make a great product and it's made here in the US.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby 1FowlHNTR » Tue May 12, 2009 3:50 am

GroundSwatter wrote:yeah, when I looked at the ripcord in person, I couldn't believe it was made of all plastic. I might consider buying one of these guys.

:lol: Apparently all you did was look....the only things on it that ARE plastic is the top arrow retaining arm, and the 2 prong rest itsself. everything else is a light metal that is sturdy and dependable. I've had one for 3 years now, and he only problem I had, I did myself (tried to tighten screw too tight and the bracket broke) explained it to their customer service, they apologized, over-nighted me a new one, and told me to keep the messed up one as a "parts rest". :welcome:
SERVICE MEMBERS....If you do not want to stand BEHIND US, feel free to stand IN FRONT OF US...
NRA LIFE MEMBER
DELTA WATERFOWL MEMBER
DUCKS UNLIMITED MEMBER
DUCK COMMANDER "DUCKAHOLICS" MILITARY MEMBER
REFUGE RAT MILITARY MEMBER
1FowlHNTR
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Tue May 12, 2009 7:46 am

1FowlHNTR wrote:
GroundSwatter wrote:yeah, when I looked at the ripcord in person, I couldn't believe it was made of all plastic. I might consider buying one of these guys.

:lol: Apparently all you did was look....the only things on it that ARE plastic is the top arrow retaining arm, and the 2 prong rest itsself. everything else is a light metal that is sturdy and dependable. I've had one for 3 years now, and he only problem I had, I did myself (tried to tighten screw too tight and the bracket broke) explained it to their customer service, they apologized, over-nighted me a new one, and told me to keep the messed up one as a "parts rest". :welcome:

I don't know why you are laughing, yours broke didn't it? :huh:
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby 1FowlHNTR » Tue May 12, 2009 1:15 pm

Yeah, and if you would have read past that, you would have seen that it was MY fault, not the rests'. I went on to state that the outstanding customer service they provided more than made up for it.
SERVICE MEMBERS....If you do not want to stand BEHIND US, feel free to stand IN FRONT OF US...
NRA LIFE MEMBER
DELTA WATERFOWL MEMBER
DUCKS UNLIMITED MEMBER
1FowlHNTR
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Tue May 12, 2009 1:53 pm

You tightened a screw too tight. I read the whole post. Honestly tightening something too tight happens to the best of us. I tightened a screw too tight on a starter solenoid and sheered off the bolt and then my car still wouldn't start. Those things happen, but my problem is I want something simple that is less prone to breaking. I don't want to tune my bow, tighten a screw too tight, and then be out of commission for the week while I'm at deer camp.

When I looked at it the plastic that held the arrow it seemed kind of flimsy. Made me think twice about paying $80 on the thing.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby 1FowlHNTR » Tue May 12, 2009 4:13 pm

GS,
It took me a long time to learn that you get what you pay for. For the longest time, for me, the simple TM Hunter did it all. Then the latest and greatest Whisker Biscuit came along...I had to have one, and HATED it. it ripped fletchings no matter how well I tuned it. Did a ton of research about the ripcord before I bought it, and it has held up for 3 years (not including deployment time) of shooting every day, or every couple of days. just saying that the plastic isn't a hindrance in any way.
NRA LIFE MEMBER
DELTA WATERFOWL MEMBER
DUCKS UNLIMITED MEMBER
1FowlHNTR
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:28 pm

Well boys, I stepped over to the dark side. I got the Tripwire... I've been anti-drop away for a long time, but I've made the switch. Now to get it shooting right.

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby fishfurlife » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:38 am

I stepped over to the dark side this season as well. I was very impressed with the simplicity of the Trophy Ridge Revolution. All moving parts are contained inside the rest. It stays loaded when you let your draw down, it is a full capture rest and I was also impressed with the price of $45
fishfurlife
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:17 am

Preacher1011 wrote:Well boys, I stepped over to the dark side. I got the Tripwire... I've been anti-drop away for a long time, but I've made the switch. Now to get it shooting right.

Why were you not on board with drop aways?

I'm just asking becuse you know a bit about bows, what did you see that you didnt like?

My Trophy Taker is the most dependable thing I own.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:31 pm

Bill Herian wrote:
Preacher1011 wrote:Well boys, I stepped over to the dark side. I got the Tripwire... I've been anti-drop away for a long time, but I've made the switch. Now to get it shooting right.

Why were you not on board with drop aways?

I'm just asking becuse you know a bit about bows, what did you see that you didnt like?

My Trophy Taker is the most dependable thing I own.

They're mechanical. I like to keep things simple on my hunting setup. There's a lot of things that can go wrong with a drop away. You could cut your string (probably your cable in the process), the stuff inside could break, it could go out of time if not installed properly, and even if it is the serving could come undone, etc. If something is going to go wrong, it would for me. I like keeping things simple, and for me that means an Octane Hostage Pro or something similar.

I decided to try out the tripwire because it seems like the more simple of the drop aways. The launcher is activated similarly to a hammer on a gun. Not as much to go wrong in my opinion. I've seen a broken QUAD and fixed it in the shop (it's now mine and works fine), but I've just never been willing to take the risk in the field. I decided to take the risk this year. Not that I'm going to be going, but it's on there in case I get a chance.

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby MaineHunter » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:41 am

Preacher i was like you, i liked simple.. Thats why i shot a whisker biscuit for years. I finally switched to a drop away last summer, and wow im glad i did! Put a AAE ProDrop on my z7eXtreme and i love it!!
MaineHunter
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:45 pm

I popped on the Octane last year, and I like it a lot. I don't think I'll be switching from it anytime soon.

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Mudhole » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:04 am

I'll stick with my QAD HDX
________Mudhole________
Waterfowl Population Control
Building a boat blind:
http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=67602
Paintin your boat:
http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=146292
Mudhole
hunter

Postby pifer » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:07 pm

Mudhole wrote:I'll stick with my QAD HDX

Yeah, I heard they were the ticket. I'm switching to a drop away this week and finally getting rid of my awful whisker biscuit. So far the rests that I have really liked are the HD and the HDX, but I really haven't been able to see much of a difference between the two besides the curved arrow keeper on the HDX.
pifer
hunter

Postby quackhead38 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:58 am

Yeah, I heard they were the ticket. I'm switching to a drop away this week and finally getting rid of my awful whisker biscuit. So far the rests that I have really liked are the HD and the HDX, but I really haven't been able to see much of a difference between the two besides the curved arrow keeper on the HDX.[/quote]

yeah whisker biscuits are alright since its full containment and the arrow cant come out but the rob a lot of speed and it aint forgiving if you torque your bow your arrow goes all over the place
i shoot a octane tripwire on my diamond rapture and goin from the biscuit to the tripwire drop away i gain prolly 10-15 fps
"we kill things we don't understand"
quackhead38
hunter

Postby Tbaggie » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:59 am

i have now just converted (from whisker biscuit) to drop away with the ripcord, so we'll see
Hit em with a Tbag
Tbaggie
hunter

Postby callncut » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:56 am

Mudhole wrote:I'll stick with my QAD HDX

This
callncut
Super Moderator

Postby Bernie P. » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:18 am

Another QAD fan here.I agree with keeping things simple which is why I MUCH prefer my longbow and recurve to the compound.Even the simplest is hardly that.
Bernie P.
hunter

Return to Archery