Whats a good technique for BIG cats in a pond?

Fresh and salt water fishing

Moderators: Dogman, WSUWESTON, Montanafowler, MossyGO!, Kiskadinna

Whats a good technique for BIG cats in a pond?

Postby flatbottom mudslinger » Thu May 14, 2009 6:59 am

Theres a park around here called "Catfish Acres" they have a tournament every Friday and Saturday night from 7pm to 12am, $10 entry 100% payout pays big fish every hour. On top of that there are tagged fish, some fish are sporting tags worth $50. If you catch one of these tagged fish or catch the big fish of the hour you win money....Getting payed to fish. Sweet!
Anyway I guess they stock it and there are cats in there up to 80lbs. I just bought a 7' medium heavy spinning rod yesterday and spooled it with 50lb braid. I thought about trying to use 10"- 12" fish for bait either from the grocery store or catching suckers before I go. Right now I have the rod rigged up with a single size 2 Gamakatsu treble and a large bobber. I think the hook is a little small so I was planning on adding a stinger or two. I also bought a 7' MH casting rod and spooled it with 30lb braid, this one has the same size hook with a little smaller bobber that I was planning on using chicken liver on. This rig would work on those 20 pounders but I want to hook into one of those 80 pounders. Winning money would be nice but I wasnt sold on the idea until the guy told me how big the fish were, thats what Im after. Even if I dont land it. I just want to hear the sound of a singing drag. The park is open 24 hours so it makes no difference to me if I catch it durring the tourny or at 2am as long as I hook one Ill be happy. So do you think these rigs will work or is there a better one for monster cats in a large pond?
treat every situation like a dog. If you cant eat it or hump it just piss on it and walk away
flatbottom mudslinger
hunter

Re: Whats a good technique for BIG cats in a pond?

Postby Rick618 » Thu May 14, 2009 10:12 am

Do they feed them? Pond raised cats will come to catfish food, corn, cereal, dog or cat food, even pebbles thrown into the water. You can chum them up. A 1/4" piece of sponge, (you can soak it in the feed or stink bait) on a hook tossed into the offering area will usually work to get one to suck it right in.
If allowed in your area catch a couple of bream, sunfish, bluegill whatever you want to call them 3-5" long to use for bait if you want to go for tough and cheap live bait.
Rick618
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Thu May 14, 2009 10:20 am

Rick618 wrote:If allowed in your area catch a couple of bream, sunfish, bluegill whatever you want to call them 3-5" long to use for bait if you want to go for tough and cheap live bait.

I've always had the best luck with bream for catfish. Either whole or used as cut bait.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby flatbottom mudslinger » Fri May 15, 2009 7:06 am

I dont think your aloud to use other gamefish as bait here. Only suckers, shiners, smelt, etc. are aloud. The dog food, stink bait idea has worked for me in the past but I have never caught a fish over about 10 or 12 pounds, although maybe if I use a car washing sponge, you know those great big ones that are yellow, about 3 inches thick, and 10 inches long, soaked in some real nasty stuff and stuck with about 4 treble hooks would be the ticket to inticing a mouth thats the size of a 5 gallon bucket. I dont know, Ive always heard "The bigger the bait, the bigger the fish" but that may be a little too big even for "ol bucket mouth". One of the guys that works there said he always catches the bigger ones on frozen smelt. He caught a 60 pounder a few weeks ago. Im not sure if they feed these fish or not but Ill go with more than one club in my bag if you know what I mean so keep the ideas coming. Im taking 3 rods, one for smelt, one for liver, and one for.....Not sure yet, a stink bait of some sort probably.
treat every situation like a dog. If you cant eat it or hump it just piss on it and walk away
flatbottom mudslinger
hunter

Postby berettaguy17 » Fri May 15, 2009 8:21 am

i would definatly get a different reel. get a baitcaster of somekind. like and abu garcia maybe a 6500 or 6600
Why not shoot all 3 shots, they make more shells everyday.
berettaguy17
hunter

Postby flatbottom mudslinger » Fri May 15, 2009 8:38 am

The one I just bought is an Abu Garcia black max with 30lb on it. The only reason I bought the spinning rod is because I had a large spinning reel laying around (I think my exroommate left it) its a Quantum Longstroke SX3. I also have another bait caster that Ive had a while, I think its a Pinnacle VS10 that has 14 pound Ironsilk on it.
flatbottom mudslinger
hunter

Postby REDGUN » Fri May 15, 2009 12:10 pm

flatbottom mudslinger wrote: Ive always heard "The bigger the bait, the bigger the fish"

I lived on a lake in Texas where they did a lot of "trotlining" for big catfish. They used carp or goldfish up to 2 pounds for bait for the bigger catfish. Not sure how you would be able to cast them with a rod and reel though.
REDGUN
hunter

Postby don taylor » Sun May 17, 2009 9:44 pm

I take an small set up and catch bait where I'm fishing if possible for cats. I use suckers if i can and nip off all the fins one one side. They swim in a circle and bleed.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Rick618 » Sun May 17, 2009 10:35 pm

Do you have an oriental store nearby? They sell all sorts of small fish dried, frozen, and some herring/shad like fish in oil that should attract every cat in the county, those that walk and those that swim. There's also a product called Fish Sauce, be warned it's got a powerful stench to it, I actually use it- very sparingly to cook with, it's cheap $3 or so a bottle for the "good" stuff. Made with anchovy extract, and should shame just about every stink bait you can put it up against. Rubber gloves? Use them!
Panty hose or some cheese cloth works good to make a pouch to keep livers and other soft baits on the hook and away from small fish that like to steal the bait.

If you want to take a step off into foreign waters, look into the carp fishing world. These guys fish tournaments that are like a cross between pro golf and a fish tourney. Very serious stuff in Great Britain. They use some techniques and baits that might cross over. The halibut or spicy boilies might be a start. There are all sorts of recipes out there where you can make your own. One of the things that they do is instead of placing the hook in the bait they will attach it on a separate line, called a hair rig that has the bare hook at the head of the line. Using this technique with sponge and stink baits the bait stays up off the bottom really well. Makes for interesting reading anyway.

hair rig

carp stuff
Rick618
hunter

Return to Fishing