diver decoys

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

diver decoys

Postby suskiedrake » Sun Sep 19, 2004 5:27 pm

I have decided to seriously start hunting divers in our late season here in PA this year. I have a modest spread thus far 16 goldeneyes, 6 buffleheads, and 4 scaup. The majority of divers we see are buffleheads and goldeneyes, with the occasion scaup redhead and canvasback. I plan on hunting over open water in a large river from a blind boat designed to look like a grass patch. Also displaying the dekes on long lines on both sides of the boat. Does anyone have any ideas or sugguestions on how to improve upon my set-up? I am new to hunting divers so any feedback or sugguestions are appreciated.
suskiedrake
hunter

Postby ggrybas » Sun Sep 19, 2004 6:36 pm

From what you are descrbing, I would highly suggest moving the position of your boat to the bank of the river, preferably with vegetation that matches your boat scheme. From there I personally would use single line decoys and mix and match smaller groups and bigger groups around the area of your boat. In my experience of diver hunting, you will get at least a great passing shot, if not cupped wings! Try different things if one isn't working. Divers are crazy birds!!! Good Luck...Greg
ggrybas
hunter

Postby taylordekes » Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:13 am

One thing that you will notice when chasing divers are the quirks that each species shows. Its good that you ha :thumbsup: ve whistler decoys as they will only decoy to goldeneye blocks. Put the GE's on the outside of your spread and the buffies on the shore side. GE's prefer to land on the waterside and buffies like to land between the decoys and shore. Why? Divers are crazy! Good Luck.
If you ain't bleedin' - you ain't carvin'
taylordekes
DHC Sponsor

Return to Diver Duck Hunting