Duck Hunting Forum banner

First time Pheasants...

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  duckplucker 
#1 ·
Hey everyone!

I am suuuuuper stoked. I just found out that I have a good chance on going on a pheasant hunt on memorial day weekend right outside of Harrisburg, PA.

I have never hunted pheasants before, grouse- but not pheasants.

So is there anyting I should know, be aware of, or need that I may not know about?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated! :thumbsup:
-Stouff

#2 ·
Are you going with a big group - guide - dogs? Be prepared to do some walking. If you are with a big group, keep an eye on your line. Try not to fall behind or get ahead. If there is a dog, never shoot over the dog. Let the birds get up. The will normally jump straight up and then flatten out. Wait for them to flatten out. It is an easier shot. These birds like to run. If you knock one down they will take off running on you. If you are walking a long field, it is a good idea to place a couple of people at the other end to block the birds from running out. If you don't have enough people to block, get out of the trucks at one end. Make plenty of noise. Set up a radio tuned to a talk station or football game at that end. Quietly get back in the trucks and run to the other side. Push back towards the radio. The birds will hold just short of the radio because they still think there are people there. Enjoy!

#3 ·
Man don't make the mistake I did on my first pheasant hunt afew years back, take some Advil or aspirin before you leave, and keep it with you out there. Where we hunted, there was knee deep grass so you were walking around like you were marching every were. Picking your knees straight up and stepping, and so forth, well about mid day, the tops of my legs were on fire they burned so bad.......I felt horrible because I slowed everyone else down who had been used to it. Just my $.02. Owww yea, careful with the amount of lead you give those birds, under a snap shooting situation, that long tail makes you think there chest is about were there butt really is. I know its sounds dumb, but after cutting afew tails off of birds, and some evil looks by you buddies, you come to terms real quick. Aim just off the beak and let er rip! good luck man, we expect pics..... :thumbsup:

#6 ·
these guys have mostly covered it, and the knee high grass is no lie, i normally hunt in CRP grass that is over waist high, but im used to it so i dont need the alieve. dont yell at the dog too much (if u even need to any) and let em work. if its a warm day, they will run forever from you, if its cold they can hold real tight and let you walk over them. on occasion you might stop for a second to two just to let them spook themselves up if they are near you, otherwise you might walk over them. cover as much ground as you can, and dont retrace where the dog has been, cause he can cover it better than you. thats about it, and im gonna have to refer you back to not crapping yourself when one jumps up... its a blast! Good luck. :thumbsup:

#8 ·
Besides the grass get ready to see something fly that is that pretty. The first time I went I caught my self watching the first couple of birds we flushed. Just amazing to see all those colors on one bird as it flys in the sun. You will have such a great time.

#9 ·
On another note, don't be surprised when they don't die right away. I've seen pheasants with half of its body gone still go running. So when you kill one you better mark it and go running, because when they go down they go down with feet running. Best of luck and be prepaired to be dead tired.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.