Encouraging More growth around pond

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

Encouraging More growth around pond

Postby redleg06 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:39 am

Hey Guys,

I got a place out in NW texas close to the red river with some very nice ponds on it that traditionally hold good numbers of ducks but I think I can do better and looking for some advice.

Theres one pond in particular that Im pretty sure has poor soil quality because I think the land owner (we lease this place for deer really) in making this pond basically took a bull dozer and scraped all the top soil off.Its actually a great pond currently and holds alot of birds but I can imagine it being ALOT better. The pond has been there a long time and has no water control. Different plants grow in the pond but not a lot of desireable growth around the outside...mostly cockle burrs. This deal can flood very nicely and is generally very shallow. I havent had much luck growing anything but jap millet and want to try to do something to encourage some natural growth.

This pond naturally draws down slowly in the summer time and fills back in the fall( for rain) and I can only imagine how much better it would be if it was to flood back on to some good duck food vs. cockle burr etc. In addtion to the millet, is there anything I can do for the exposed flats now?

I was thinking of disturbing the soil with a disk lighty and fertalizing...?

If i understand moist soil managment correctly, dont you sometimes lightly disturb the exposed ground to encourage natural germination of seeds already in the ground? Im just not sure what desirable are in the area.
If you're not first you're last.....

Dont cry cause its over, smile cause it happened.
redleg06
hunter

Re: Encouraging More growth around pond

Postby Sprigs94 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:38 am

Plant smartweeds, legumes, rushes, wild millet, rice, river oats, anything high in protien to help ducks build up fat reserves for cold days during migration. I would recommend keeping a seasonal wetlands to encourage native growth of seeds and grains. Keep in minds grains and seeds don't make up the ducks entire diet. Early migraters such as Teal and Pintails feed on aquatic species, such as invertibrates and snails, so encourage growth to benefit these species. Good luck :thumbsup:
Sprigs94
hunter

Return to Conservation/Biology