Rush Lake

This Midwestern state holds many waterfowl species. Post here and read others views on Wisconsin duck hunting. From the mighty Mississippi river to the west to the great lake of Michigan on the east, WI has many different types of hunting available to hunters.

Moderators: Pete-pec, NickCies80

Rush Lake

Postby jarod1076 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:19 pm

I'd like to make it out there the end of June. How are the water levels looking this year?
jarod1076
hunter

Re: Rush Lake

Postby Pete-pec » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:26 am

Depends on how many other hunters with boats are displacing the water, causing it to rise! Just kidding. I'm not sure of levels.

Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby jarod1076 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:37 pm

I was out there opening day. That place was a zoo you could almost spit on the guy next to you
jarod1076
hunter

Postby Wi Hunter » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:49 am

Rush lake this year is real low! Lots of hunters and no ducks!

One thing wanna make clear is... just because you have a sign out their marking a spot doesn't mean that it is your spot for the season!!!!the reason for the signs is for the first couple of weeks so people know where others are hunting because of the mass numbers of hunters!.....After that the early bird gets the worm folks! IT IS ALL PUBLIC
Wi Hunter
hunter

Postby duck stalker » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:14 pm

AMEN WI HUNTER!! :bow: :bow:

I hope all that read this really understand this!! I hunt Rush on a regular basis. I got into it with two guys once thinking they own the lake. On the weekends I respect the blinds (even though I really still can hunt there) but on the weekdays I GO WHERE I WANT! I get out there pretty early in the morning and if I get set up on I will not be happy!!!!!! :mad: The biggest problem is the guys that live on the lake. They think they own it! We are all out there to have fun. If you have a blind set up and someone is by it, hunt in the reeds somewhere else! That's what I do and it works just fine!! :yes: To all out there on Rush lake:

-BE SAFE
-SHOW OTHERS RESPECT
-HAVE FUN!!
-WE ARE ALL DUCK HUNTERS, ACT LIKE IT'S A BROTHERHOOD RATHER THAN A COMPETITION.

"If you lead them, they will fall"

"Know one knows true companionship until they have owned a Lab"
duck stalker
hunter

Postby Fowl Mood » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:07 pm

I was in huge favor of the restoration process at Rush Lake but starting to wonder if we should have kept the water down for another year to encourage more bull rush growth, instead of maintaining the cattails that have plagued the marsh.
Also, are the motors a good idea? I know it helps hunters conveniently move about, but they're mucking up the bottom sediment.
When I drive by Horicon I see hundreds of Muskrat houses. Where are they at Rush? Ducks need safe havens to nest. Muskrats create them. I don't think we have as many nesters as we should.
I know it is early in the reawakening of the habitat, but just my thoughts as I am hoping to bring Rush Lake back to its once pristine tradition of duck production.
Fowl Mood
Newb

Postby Wi Hunter » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:48 pm

Thank you duck stalker! About the restoration....I live less than a block away from the south landing and spend alot of time on the lake, I think there has been a great increase in muskrat population in the past for years but what I dont like about the draw down is that it encouraged alot of cattails to grow....I think that by leaving it another year would have made it all cattails. I wish there was a way to kill only cattails and keep the bullrush. about the motors I dont think they have done much dammage at all....maybe a few trails hear and there but in the whole realm of things those little trails dont make a big difference in animal habitat for the 2 moths they are heavily used. :smile:
Wi Hunter
hunter

Postby recker » Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:29 am

You can restore it all you want but with the heavy hunter use you talk about birds will not stay without a refuge. I hunt the river and not all days are good but with the refuge the birds stick around. Plenty of days are really good. Just my two cents but why would birds ever stay on that lake when they get blown off with mud motors all day long?
recker
hunter

Postby duck stalker » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:14 am

recker,

I just got a new rig with mud this year. I wanted to try it out in August however, the boat landing and the lake it's self was so chocked up with weeds my motor was having a real hard time trying to cut through it! It was real difficult to even push pole through it! :eek: I think most of the traffic is during the season. I'm a humble man and this may sound dumb to most, But i got disorented out there and got lost! The lake looks a little different this year and there are a few more cattail islands this year than last! I think they should fill the lake up another 12" and keep the groth where it's at. Then the mud motors will not damage anything. ?????

Thoughts????? :huh:
"If you lead them, they will fall"

"Know one knows true companionship until they have owned a Lab"
duck stalker
hunter

Postby Wi Hunter » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:28 am

I dont know where any of the ducks are this year. Ive hunted the lake every weekend and it doesn't seem to be improving by any means. Last year was by far better

The lake can only be so deep they dont have much control on the depth all they have is one dam to use so I dont think they could raise it another foot but the water level in the past few weeks has gone up at least 7-8'' outboards could be used to get you most of the way

I also think there should be a refuge. Ive heard years back they did have a refuge. Having a refuge would help greatly and give a spot for ducks to sit. But you have to keep in mind the refuge has to be placed somewhere where it wont cut off boaters.

Post how you do. Keep this thread alive
Wi Hunter
hunter

Postby Wi Hunter » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:53 pm

Ducks are finally moving through got 5 on Monday and saw a lot of buffleheads shot one too! thought that was cool.....seeing lots of high flying mallards now this is what it should be like
Wi Hunter
hunter

Postby jarod1076 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:53 pm

Sounds good. I've been out there the first two weeks of the season. Things were slow. Hopfuly I can make it out there next week
jarod1076
hunter

Postby Wi Hunter » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:00 pm

Unbelievable went out sat. and Monday prolly saw a total of 8 ducks! I cant believe where the ducks went after seeing so many the previous week :huh:
Wi Hunter
hunter

Postby DellsDucks » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:26 pm

How is rush this year? and what is it like with a skiff?
2013 Waterfowl
Teal: 13
Woodies:3
Mallards:2
Black Ducks:1
Divers: 2
DellsDucks
hunter

Postby goosie119 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:14 pm

we had good shoots a week ago, then wed/thu there weren't many birds around. haven't been out there since so I don't know if more birds have moved in. you can go anywhere you want out there with a skiff but will have a decent paddle to get out to the huntable areas on the main lake, but there's plenty of water this year.
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes...

If you have your kill counts in your signature then you're automatically a dbag!
goosie119
hunter

Postby jarod1076 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:53 am

Just looking for a ice report. Need to know if I can still get a boat in.

Thanks
Jarod
jarod1076
hunter

Postby goosie119 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:27 pm

it hasn't been above freezing in about 5 days, just a stab in the dark but i'm guessing it's froze tight...
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes...

If you have your kill counts in your signature then you're automatically a dbag!
goosie119
hunter

Return to Wisconsin Duck Hunting