Oil to use

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, KCDuckMaster, ajmorell

Oil to use

Postby bayouboy » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:07 pm

I recently got a different vehicle, '94 chevy 1500 350ci. Truck has 66,000 miles and is in immaculate condition. I was wondering what would be a good oil to run, 5w30 or 10w30 and which brand. thanks for the input. i was looking at mobile1
The New Orleans Saints
Superbowl XLIV Champions

“I have no reason to fear the hat. I put it on my head everyday.” Coach Les Miles
User avatar
bayouboy
hunter
 
Posts: 3967
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:06 am
Location: Lafayette, LA


Re: Oil to use

Postby ajmorell » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:53 pm

bayouboy wrote:I recently got a different vehicle, '94 chevy 1500 350ci. Truck has 66,000 miles and is in immaculate condition. I was wondering what would be a good oil to run, 5w30 or 10w30 and which brand. thanks for the input. i was looking at mobile1


Amsoil and never look back. Simply the best stuff out there IMHO. There is several other synthetics out there such as Royal Purple or Mobil 1 that will also get the job done but Amsoil allows for extended drain intervals (15,000 miles). As for 5w30 v. 10w30 depends on where you live and the climate. If you are likely to see cold winters 5w30 will make cold starting a little easier. 10w30 will provide a little better start-up protection during the hot months.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 1662
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:40 am
Location: Santa Fe, NM

Re: Oil to use

Postby Montanafowler » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:19 pm

ajmorell wrote:
bayouboy wrote:I recently got a different vehicle, '94 chevy 1500 350ci. Truck has 66,000 miles and is in immaculate condition. I was wondering what would be a good oil to run, 5w30 or 10w30 and which brand. thanks for the input. i was looking at mobile1


Amsoil and never look back. Simply the best stuff out there IMHO. There is several other synthetics out there such as Royal Purple or Mobil 1 that will also get the job done but Amsoil allows for extended drain intervals (15,000 miles). As for 5w30 v. 10w30 depends on where you live and the climate. If you are likely to see cold winters 5w30 will make cold starting a little easier. 10w30 will provide a little better start-up protection during the hot months.


i haven't tried amsoil but i'm running mobil 1, agree with running synthetic.
Booney3721 wrote:Try being a dishwasher/Grill cook/ellectrition/garbage disposer and your owner/boss is a fat greek woman who cals you names as Retard, stupid, idiot, molocah, f*** face and tard, and tells you that you was the inspiration for abortion and birth control.
User avatar
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 6650
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:54 pm
Location: Livingston, Montana

Re: Oil to use

Postby bayouboy » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:02 am

should i run synthetic over conventional? i was told starting to run synthetic in an older engine could create leaks.
The New Orleans Saints
Superbowl XLIV Champions

“I have no reason to fear the hat. I put it on my head everyday.” Coach Les Miles
User avatar
bayouboy
hunter
 
Posts: 3967
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:06 am
Location: Lafayette, LA

Re: Oil to use

Postby ajmorell » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:21 am

bayouboy wrote:should i run synthetic over conventional? i was told starting to run synthetic in an older engine could create leaks.


Synthetic does not create leaks, it merely cleans out crap that conventional left behind which sometimes results in leaks. With mileage that low I would switch to synthetic, you shouldn't have any issues.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 1662
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:40 am
Location: Santa Fe, NM

Re: Oil to use

Postby KCDuckMaster » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:12 pm

I would just stick with the conventional oils, there really isn't any need to use a synthetic in an older engine. The main reason manufacturers are recommending synthetic now is because the tolerances in newer engines are much tighter than what they are in an old 350. Ya you might be able to get away with extended oil change intervals but at twice the price your not saving much money. I would also be cautious of running an extended oil change interval if you use a thermostat that is anything cooler than 180Degrees, otherwise you run a good risk of building up water and other contaminants in your oil.
If they weren’t meant to be eaten, then why are they made of meat?
KCDuckMaster
hunter
 
Posts: 370
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:59 pm
Location: Right in the Middle

Re: Oil to use

Postby ajmorell » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:08 pm

KCDuckMaster wrote:I would just stick with the conventional oils, there really isn't any need to use a synthetic in an older engine. The main reason manufacturers are recommending synthetic now is because the tolerances in newer engines are much tighter than what they are in an old 350. Ya you might be able to get away with extended oil change intervals but at twice the price your not saving much money. I would also be cautious of running an extended oil change interval if you use a thermostat that is anything cooler than 180Degrees, otherwise you run a good risk of building up water and other contaminants in your oil.


I disagree about not saving any money. Sure Amsoil costs $50-$60 but you can run it 3-5x (15,000-25,000 miles between changes) longer than conventional (depends on your drain interval for conventional), not to mention it protects much much better than conventional.


1 oil change a year @ $60 per oil change for Amsoil
TOTAL = $60

5 oil changes a year @ $25 per oil change for conventional
TOTAL = $125
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 1662
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:40 am
Location: Santa Fe, NM

Re: Oil to use

Postby cONG » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:18 am

I would put conventional oils in it, i like Valvoline with wax oil fitter. its cheaper to run amsoil oil but you cant see if you have any melter in unless you do oil samplers by then it will be to late.
cONG
hunter
 
Posts: 1315
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:05 pm

Re: Oil to use

Postby waterfowlhunter » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:31 pm

I have always run mobil 1 or castrol GTX and have no complaints. That being said, My father uses walmart or Meijer brand oil (Or what ever oil he can find for $1 a quart) in his trucks and has over 400,000 (yes four hundred thousand) on his 1977 with a 350 gas engine. Never been rebuilt and still runs decent other than a bit of smoke... his 1994 has over 200,000 on it and still running like new but on the second trans as he tows a tri axle trailer with it. My dad is also not much for scheduled oil changes either so it might get changed @ 5000 miles and it might be 10,000 miles before he gets to it. My cousin had an issue with synthetic oil in his 2002 PU. It would burn 2 quarts every 3000 miles but with standard oil it did not have the issue. I change mine every 5000 miles with Mobil 1 and it maintains 40 Idle to 60 Highway psi oil pressure with fresh oil or with 5000 miles on it. I use 10w30 all summer and 5w30 in the winter. I guess being that most all oil has the seal and says it surpases the manufacturers recomendations it will probably not make a difference in what brand you choose the real difference is price :thumbsup:
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
User avatar
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 3791
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:53 am
Location: Linden, MI

Re: Oil to use

Postby KCDuckMaster » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:01 am

Ajmorell - Do you really only change your oil once a year? Be honest

Because I cant tell you how many people I have seen ruin an engine following extended oil change intervals because they are using synthetic oil. They assume that because they are using synthetic, their engine wont burn oil and that they can use the oil longer, then about the time they start to think about getting their oil changed, BAM! they break a rod, then call up complaining about why their engine failed and how its a defect in the engine and want a warranty replacement. I then ask them was your engine full of oil? And of course they say yes, but then when I ask them when was the last time you checked it? They tell me when I changed the oil, I'm using synthetic and (Mobile 1, or Amsoil, or Royal Purple) says switching to their oil will let me use my engine longer between changes and my engine wont burn oil.

Now I'm not saying your dumb enough to not check your oil, but I wouldn't recommend synthetic for an engine unless the engine manufacturer recommends it. I just always say, check the API rating
If they weren’t meant to be eaten, then why are they made of meat?
KCDuckMaster
hunter
 
Posts: 370
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:59 pm
Location: Right in the Middle

Re: Oil to use

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:33 am

ajmorell wrote:1 oil change a year @ $60 per oil change for Amsoil
TOTAL = $60

5 oil changes a year @ $25 per oil change for conventional
TOTAL = $125


But you will still be changing the oil filter 5 times a year at about $6ea so your still at $90 and that is low end. I have never seen amsoil for under $15 qt so 5 qts comes in at $75 plus the 5 oil filters for another $30 comes to $105. I can buy Mobile one in the 5qt jug for for $24 and it is good for about 10,000 miles or conventional for $12/5qt jug. So for conventional oil in 25,000 miles the cost is about $90.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
User avatar
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 3791
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:53 am
Location: Linden, MI

Re: Oil to use

Postby ajmorell » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:45 am

KCDuckMaster wrote:Ajmorell - Do you really only change your oil once a year? Be honest

Because I cant tell you how many people I have seen ruin an engine following extended oil change intervals because they are using synthetic oil. They assume that because they are using synthetic, their engine wont burn oil and that they can use the oil longer, then about the time they start to think about getting their oil changed, BAM! they break a rod, then call up complaining about why their engine failed and how its a defect in the engine and want a warranty replacement. I then ask them was your engine full of oil? And of course they say yes, but then when I ask them when was the last time you checked it? They tell me when I changed the oil, I'm using synthetic and (Mobile 1, or Amsoil, or Royal Purple) says switching to their oil will let me use my engine longer between changes and my engine wont burn oil.

Now I'm not saying your dumb enough to not check your oil, but I wouldn't recommend synthetic for an engine unless the engine manufacturer recommends it. I just always say, check the API rating


I change my oil every 12k miles or so, never had a problem burning or leaking, but I would be willing to bet I'm a little more meticulous than a lot of people are. Obviously that is one pro to short drain intervals is having to check the oil level less. Both my parents car's '01 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 v8 & '08 Saturn Aura 3.5 v6 run Amsoil @ 15k drain intervals.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 1662
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:40 am
Location: Santa Fe, NM

Re: Oil to use

Postby ajmorell » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:46 am

waterfowlhunter wrote:
ajmorell wrote:1 oil change a year @ $60 per oil change for Amsoil
TOTAL = $60

5 oil changes a year @ $25 per oil change for conventional
TOTAL = $125


But you will still be changing the oil filter 5 times a year at about $6ea so your still at $90 and that is low end. I have never seen amsoil for under $15 qt so 5 qts comes in at $75 plus the 5 oil filters for another $30 comes to $105. I can buy Mobile one in the 5qt jug for for $24 and it is good for about 10,000 miles or conventional for $12/5qt jug. So for conventional oil in 25,000 miles the cost is about $90.


Google "Amsoil EA Oil Filter." $15/quart for Amsoil, really? Check their store online, unless you are running the race grade oil it is $7-$10 a quart.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 1662
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:40 am
Location: Santa Fe, NM

Re: Oil to use

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:37 pm

Yes, I see on line it is less then locally but then they want $25 to ship it. Around here amsoil is the same price as royal purple and over double the price of Mobile 1 or Castrol. I now run valvoline Conventional racing 50 weight in my jet and it performs just as good at the synthetics did.

For me, if the synthetics go up in price any more I will be running regular oil in everything again.

In the tractors we buy it by the drum, Each tractor holds about 7 gallons and the Dozer holds 5 so that would get expensive in a hurry. Another reason I am buying a diesel truck, then I can use the same oil I use in the farm equipment and get it for around $150 a barrel.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
User avatar
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 3791
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:53 am
Location: Linden, MI

Re: Oil to use

Postby ajmorell » Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:03 pm

waterfowlhunter wrote:Yes, I see on line it is less then locally but then they want $25 to ship it. Around here amsoil is the same price as royal purple and over double the price of Mobile 1 or Castrol. I now run valvoline Conventional racing 50 weight in my jet and it performs just as good at the synthetics did.

For me, if the synthetics go up in price any more I will be running regular oil in everything again.

In the tractors we buy it by the drum, Each tractor holds about 7 gallons and the Dozer holds 5 so that would get expensive in a hurry. Another reason I am buying a diesel truck, then I can use the same oil I use in the farm equipment and get it for around $150 a barrel.



I actually get the oil quite a bit cheaper than what is listed on Amsoils site through a vendor that I have become friends with. I want to say that last time I changed the oil in my mom's Jeep, 6 quarts of 5w30 and a filter shipped only ran like $65.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 1662
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:40 am
Location: Santa Fe, NM

Re: Oil to use

Postby REM1100 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:23 am

When I had my chev AStro van 1991 I used 15/40 or 10/30 Castro GTX and never used 5/30 as it was too thin for the summer.( and it was rumoured as a break in oil for new engines) I did oil changes every 5000 miles with an ordinary Fram filter and 400,000 km later it is still running and only burn a pint every oil change and the valve covers and engine has never been opened up.

I also had a 81 olds 98 which ran a syn blend Esso 10/30 and it went right thru the rings..runnin standard 10/30 stopped the hemmoraging..Th older engines had different tolerances and different gasket material.

On the other hand I bought a 2002 Isuzu 4x4 which had rumours of hevay oil consumption and it burned a pint every 5000 kms so I switched to Mobile I or the Wal Mart special synthetic 10/30 with the improved filter and it does not burn off and can stand the high temps and it probably gets me another half mile/gallon and only consumes a half a pint per 5000 kms I have 180,000 kms on it.

My sons 97 grand am v6 runs Wal mart Tech 2000 10/30 syn since he bought it and changes oild every 12,000km or tiwice a year and s fa he has been lucky with short trips it now has 190,000 kms and it hardly burns any oil maybe a quarter of a pint every 5000 kms

I think the newer engines with tighter tolerances and running at much higher revs and temps need syn oil otherwise the standard oil gets burned off leaving deposits.

Just my experience..so if you don't want to kill mosquitoes use syn at reg intervals
on the X in Saskatchewan
User avatar
REM1100
Provincial Moderator
 
Posts: 1293
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:14 pm
Location: Western Canada

Re: Oil to use

Postby dixieduckslayer » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:44 am

Royal Purple 10w-30, and a WIX filter.....does not get any better than that.
Dixie Duck Slayers....Kentucky's Elite Duck Hunting Team
User avatar
dixieduckslayer
hunter
 
Posts: 199
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:28 pm

Re: Oil to use

Postby LaRedneck » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:22 am

bayouboy wrote:I recently got a different vehicle, '94 chevy 1500 350ci. Truck has 66,000 miles and is in immaculate condition. I was wondering what would be a good oil to run, 5w30 or 10w30 and which brand. thanks for the input. i was looking at mobile1


In a gasser i'm a Quaker State fan(10w-30). They have a cheaper synthetic if you want to go that route. But if you don't put that many mile in a year then just stick with conventional. I used there 4X4 brand for years and my truck loved it. If I changed it would run rough or knock.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
User avatar
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 3671
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:52 am
Location: Tucson, Arizona


Return to Vehicle forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron