extermination job

Discussion on shooting predators & varmits and the trapping the furbearing animals.

Moderators: Preacher1011, nitrousneil

extermination job

Postby JPgreenhead » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:11 pm

Iv been contacted by a sheep farmer who has a bad problem with coyotes and is willing to pay me by the head for each coyote i take off of his property. I was wondering if anyone has done this before and if they had any ideas on what to charge per coyote.
JPgreenhead
hunter

Re: extermination job

Postby Norsky » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:32 pm

I have helped some farmers in my area in the past. For summer coyotes I would lean to snares if legal in your area. Trapping lures in heat dont do very well. When setting them out I would set alot of them at one time to get as many as possible before they wise up and move on. As far as charging them for your service it is tough to put a number on them. The last farmer had lost 97 lambs aout of 110 or so he was expecting. I ended up showing him how to snare and he took about 6-8 coyotes and the killing stopped. I would not look to it as a money making proposition. Make a friend and get another area to hunt in the fall. When you are doing it for money and it's not your career things can get trying at best. Most trappers and varmint hunters in the area would probebly do it for nothing. You could always ask him to see how much they would be worth. Communication is the best buisness card.
Norsky
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:25 am

I agree with Dave. Not only could you get a place to trap or hunt this fall, but if you're doing ADC work you'll have to get a permit. If you get a permit to do that most likely your state will make you have some sort of insurance. My and I were looking into getting into ADC work, but the state required 1 million dollars of insurance and it just wasn't worth it. If you trap his land for money without permits and inadvertently catch a sheep and he files a lawsuit or something you can get into deep doo doo.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby JPgreenhead » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:52 pm

thanks for the input. if i charge anything it will be for gas money because its about a 30 minute drive for me to get to his property and i think i will try to become friends and get a new hunting spot for the fall. i dont trap or sell many furs so any suggestions on what to do with the dogs after iv shot them since its summer and the furs will most likely be poor
JPgreenhead
hunter

Postby Norsky » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:12 pm

They are not of much use now. There may be a lure maker in your area that may want the glands. Last year the coyote prices were not good here even when prime.
Norsky
hunter

Postby OKTrap » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:26 pm

If you need assistance still ... give us a holler. We do this for a living, and if you are in Oklahoma ... you must be a licensed and certified NWCO in order to charge for any wildlife control, including hazing and habitat. Like I said ... if you need guidance or assistance ... give us a holler.
Member: OFBA, OPHA, NWCOA, LT GOA, NRA
Our toolbar!
OKTrap
hunter

Return to Predator Hunting & Trapping Forum