early teal?

Discuss Alabama duck hunting and more.

Moderator: David

early teal?

Postby jaker » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:02 pm

hey everyone, Im 18 and live in birmingham/ waverly hall ga. I will be going to auburn in the fall and am thinking about trying out early teal season. Does anyone have much experience with the early teal season? I have killed teal during regular season, but have never specifically targeted them. Im not looking for spots, but just wondering if anyone has any tips as far as decoys and how to find them. Is it even worth going after them? Has anyone hunted on Swan creek for them? thanks for the advice and helpful information.
2009 - 2010 (My boat)

Bw Teal- 7
jaker
hunter

Re: early teal?

Postby David » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:20 am

Sorry I can't help you on location, but as far as decoys, I usually just put out 4-12 hen mallards. Since you are going to college I think I know the answer to this question, but do you have a boat? Duck hunting in Alabama is much easier with one.
ImageImageImage
David
Lefty

Postby jaker » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:28 am

yes, i have a boat. I have plenty of decoys to. I think I have about 2 and a half dozen teal, then plenty of mallards. I love duck hunting and would rather hunt ducks than anything, but is it worth going after teal, or should I just spend my september weekends at dove shoots? also how do you normally find them? Or do you just hunt the same places year after year?
2009 - 2010 (My boat)

Bw Teal- 7
jaker
hunter

Postby David » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:49 am

Having a boat will help, I suggest getting a map for your area as well as looking online at places like google maps to help learn the area. The dove hunting will typically be better than the teal, but teal are on public waterways and therefore "free" to hunt. Most dove fields you will have to pay to hunt unless you know someone.

Down here, the teal are in a different spot each year and the only way to find them is by scouting. Although I'm not familiar with your part of the state.
ImageImageImage
David
Lefty

Return to Alabama Duck Hunting