ADAK, AK Anyone?????

For those with military experience to hang out.

Moderators: badandy970, MIKE J., k9horseluvr, duck slayR

ADAK, AK Anyone?????

Postby QUACK3XS » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:00 am

I was stationed at NAS Public Works .....Heat shop (under the galley). Anyone else......
U.S. NAVY SEABEE VETERAN
QUACK3XS
hunter

Re: ADAK, AK Anyone?????

Postby tarheel yankee » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:11 pm

Looks like you are a loner on this one Qauck!! What's been going on brother?
Chris
U.S. Army, Infantry,.........RETIRED!!!
tarheel yankee
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:11 am

Be hell pressed if he finds someone that was with him from down there. Ain't to much going on down there anymore. I know there's still a lot of dorms down there which mean we could go caribou hunting and have a place to stay. Free ride from the Coast Guard too.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby QUACK3XS » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:34 pm

LaRedneck wrote:Be hell pressed if he finds someone that was with him from down there. Ain't to much going on down there anymore. I know there's still a lot of dorms down there which mean we could go caribou hunting and have a place to stay. Free ride from the Coast Guard too.

Caribou would be fun......but the duck hunting is awesome. check out Clam Lagoon on a map :thumbsup:
U.S. NAVY SEABEE VETERAN
QUACK3XS
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:00 am

Might have to do it, I need to get in a sea duck hunt and if I take the coast guard route and stay in there rooms that will be about the cheapest way but i'll see what the Lagoon has to offer.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby the.hines2 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:59 pm

I have been there, pulled in with the Coastguard ship. All of about 15 people where there???

Kind of funny to see that NAS like a ghost town I bet it used to be booming?

We pulled in to drop of AJ and to stay for a few hours before going back out to the MV Cougar Ace (Google it I was there for several weeks)
Anyway we have a group of about 10 guys that want to go try our luck with a killing a Caribou... well 5 miles and 2 flat tires later in an old NAS Van, we started our walk back down the hill. We walked across the runway with high powered rifles, the sheriff justed waved HI :hi: .
So we started walking past the ghost house that looked like an old McDonalds, and at the distance we could see what looked like a carvan of trucks following something... as it got closer... :thumbsup: We knew what was going on.

The ship had 2 female officers that decided while we were in port it would be a good idea to go for a run, so they put on their little shorts and sports bras and off they went....

The poor things... Those guys will never get to see that again... :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :help:
Shawn Hines
ST Marys, GA
the.hines2
hunter

Postby QUACK3XS » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:20 pm

the.hines2 wrote:Anyway we have a group of about 10 guys that want to go try our luck with a killing a Caribou... well 5 miles and 2 flat tires later in an old NAS Van, we started our walk back down the hill. We walked across the runway with high powered rifles, the sheriff justed waved HI :hi: .

LOL...things have changed, there were 5000 people living on the NAS side when I was there. I shot my 1st caribou on Adak, although it was very rare to see them anywhere near the base......we would park at finger bay & start our 6 hour hike over the pass to get them
U.S. NAVY SEABEE VETERAN
QUACK3XS
hunter

Postby the.hines2 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:42 pm

QUACK3XS wrote:although it was very rare to see them anywhere near the base......we would park at finger bay & start our 6 hour hike over the pass to get them

Yeah from what we saw and were told, there is a heard of about 10000 and they are all over the island. There was hoove prints and crap everywhere around the base. I guess since there is noone there any more they come in town.
Shawn Hines
ST Marys, GA
the.hines2
hunter

Postby QUACK3XS » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:36 pm

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: 10000

The heard was around 5000.....I will return someday for the Salmon run :thumbsup:
U.S. NAVY SEABEE VETERAN
QUACK3XS
hunter

Postby the.hines2 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:15 pm

QUACK3XS wrote::eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: 10000

The heard was around 5000.....I will return someday for the Salmon run :thumbsup:

I guess that is why there is a all year season with no limit on how many you can kill. Not too many people getting up there to hunt them.
Shawn Hines
ST Marys, GA
the.hines2
hunter

Postby AK Ray » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:56 pm

Highschool in 1983 and then contractor from 1990 to 1993 investigating the contaminated sites. Have not been back since July 1993.

Some day I will take my kid out there and show her what the "back side" of Alaska looks like.

However it is a toss up for using air miles: Australia or Adak. Hard choice.
AK Ray
hunter

Postby QUACK3XS » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:24 pm

AK Ray wrote:Highschool in 1983 and then contractor from 1990 to 1993 investigating the contaminated sites. Have not been back since July 1993.

Some day I will take my kid out there and show her what the "back side" of Alaska looks like.

My wife graduated from Bob Reeve HS in 1994...LOL.........I'd take Adak anyday
U.S. NAVY SEABEE VETERAN
QUACK3XS
hunter

Postby the.hines2 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:23 pm

AK Ray wrote:Highschool in 1983 and then contractor from 1990 to 1993 investigating the contaminated sites. Have not been back since July 1993.

Just remember that the 10 most deadlist snakes, 10 most deadlist ants, and the 10 most deadlist spiders are found on Australia... Have fun with that
Shawn Hines
ST Marys, GA
the.hines2
hunter

Return to Military Forum