Halibut really are biting in Homer, AK

Fresh and salt water fishing

Moderators: Dogman, WSUWESTON, Montanafowler, MossyGO!, Kiskadinna

Halibut really are biting in Homer, AK

Postby GroundSwatter » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:47 pm

halibut.JPG

Had a good trip to Alaska last week. We did some sight seeing in Seward, pretty area, and then went west and stayed in a cabin off the Kasilof River. Ended up doing king trip on the Kenai River, and it was 12 hours of not a lot, but the next day of halibut fishing made up for it. We did halibut out of Homer, we could have done it closer but my wife and mother were going to brooks falls to see all the brown bears and that left out of homer. I caught the biggest fish, the 60 pounder on the left, but saw them hang much bigger fish than that in both homer and seward. I can't imagine reeling one in much bigger than that. Biggest I saw was probably 150 lbs, but I think a few weeks earlier they had a 300+ lb fish come in at Homer. Oh well, nothing quite like fishing next to the mountains, with lazy sea lions on the shore and puffin's buzzing by you.

We did another day of sockeye, snagged several, but it seemed like the ones we actually hooked in the mouth were all too red to keep. We did a flyout b/c you were supposed to see more brown bears in that area, but the since it hadn't rained in a while and it was unseasonably warm, the red's were trying to go up the creek like they normally do. On the Russian, the reds were running pretty well, Kings weren't running at all on the Kenai the day we fished for them. Oh well, that is why they don't call it catching.

If you make a trip to the Kenai Peninsula, I would definitely say to stop in at seward, if nothing else just to sight see, and then definitely go to Homer. The stuff in between is cook, but you get into the flat lands and its less interesting.

Just wanted to share :thumbsup:
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Re: Halibut really are biting in Homer, AK

Postby allnighter » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:30 pm

That is some good eating there. :drool:
allnighter
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:37 pm

Awesome flat fish Swatter...look forward to meeting you guys down this way next year. :thumbsup:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby GroundSwatter » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:12 am

It was a blast and yes they are some good eating fish. We took some fillet's back to our cabin to cook and there is nothing like fresh halibut.

We're still discussing venice and a couple of other places next year. Got to find a compromise place for my Mom and Wife.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:52 am

GroundSwatter wrote:It was a blast and yes they are some good eating fish. We took some fillet's back to our cabin to cook and there is nothing like fresh halibut.

We're still discussing venice and a couple of other places next year. Got to find a compromise place for my Mom and Wife.

There ain't nothin for the ladies to do in Venice...it's a fishing and oil town. If ya'll stayed in New orleans, there's lots for the ladies to do plantation homes to see, antique stores, the french quarter, shopping, and if ya'l time it right-a festival will be in town..lots of good restraunts too. then you and your dad could drive to venice- hour and a half south. :thumbsup:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby MacMan » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:17 am

Indaswamp wrote:
GroundSwatter wrote:It was a blast and yes they are some good eating fish. We took some fillet's back to our cabin to cook and there is nothing like fresh halibut.

There ain't nothin for the ladies to do in Venice...it's a fishing and oil town. If ya'll stayed in New orleans, there's lots for the ladies to do plantation homes to see, antique stores, the french quarter, shopping, and if ya'l time it right-a festival will be in town..lots of good restraunts too. then you and your dad could drive to venice- hour and a half south. :thumbsup:

What's this I hear about a big ole DHC get together for fishing and crawfish boil????? :huh:
<\\\><
MM
MacMan
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:55 pm

MacMan wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:

What's this I hear about a big ole DHC get together for fishing and crawfish boil????? :huh:

Mac,

Swatter mentioned he might make a trip to Venice next year, I'm just giving the guy some ammo to use on the wife and mom to convince them to go to New Orleans....you know how good da fishing is down here!!! :hi:
And If he comes, I might be down there at venice sametime he is and he can come by and meet us- I do not guide.....but if anyone wants a good guide I can give some excellent references.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby MacMan » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:08 pm

Yea, I was jackin' with ya - when you boil up about 1000 lbs, you can invite the entire DHC. . .LOL. . . I tell ya - if I still lived over there I'd be draggin' my old rig - I had a 26ft Tiera Pursuit, damn sweet fishing rig. . . twin 185s - she cooked.
<\\\><
MM
MacMan
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:36 pm

MacMan wrote:Yea, I was jackin' with ya - when you boil up about 1000 lbs, you can invite the entire DHC. . .LOL. . . I tell ya - if I still lived over there I'd be draggin' my old rig - I had a 26ft Tiera Pursuit, damn sweet fishing rig. . . twin 185s - she cooked.

We are packing up now to leave in the am.....on the menu we got venison sauce piquant, fresh fish-fried or grilled-depending on what we catch, and duck breasts with Amoretta cream sauce over fettuccine......MMMMM!!!!! Weather looks good....C ya when we get back :hi: .

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby poodlepoker » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:11 pm

had a hot bite a few weekends ago here in newport OR. just chickens but couldnt fish too long, had silvers to catch :biggrin:
poodlepoker
hunter

Return to Fishing