The Effects of Early Teal Season

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

The Effects of Early Teal Season

Postby ND_Duckslayer » Tue Sep 21, 2004 7:09 am

Alright, here's my question: you states that have the early teal season, how does that effect your normal duck season? I can't imagine that the mallards, pintail, gadwall, and all the other ducks know they're not being shot at and just stick around. I know once the guns start blazing on duck opener up here all the ducks smart up pretty quick. You guys have any problem like that or doesn't it effect the normal season that much?
"If it flies, it dies...and if it just sits there and doesn't move, IT STILL DIES!!!"
-Phil Robertson, a.k.a. the Duck Commander
ND_Duckslayer
hunter

Postby quackerkiller » Tue Sep 21, 2004 7:45 am

well here in michigan there isn't a early season for teal but im sure it would make the birds very spooky and would make a season very difficult. I'm happy with the way the season is in MI.
Lynch Mob Calls Pro-Staff
Out For Blood
quackerkiller
Forum & State Moderator

Early Teal

Postby ks_waterfowler » Tue Sep 21, 2004 8:19 am

It doesn't bother the ducks at all. The teal get wise, but when you let everything else fly without a shot it doesn't bother them much. We also have over a month for the ducks to get stupid again before the regular duck season. I have had the same group of pintails decoy several days straight.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby MICAH » Tue Sep 21, 2004 8:21 am

IN GA WE HAVE A EARLY TEAL SEASON. I DON'T THINK IT HURTS A BIT. THE TEAL ARE HEADING SOUTH. THE ONLY TURE RESIDENT DUCK WE HAVE IS A WOOD DUCK AND I DON'T KNOW IF THEY EVER LEAVE THE STATE. ANY OTHER DUCKS THAT ARE HEADING SOUTH AT THIS TIME LIKE GADWALL AND WIDGEON GET A FREE PASS. I THINK WE SHOULD HAVE A EARLY DUCK SEASON NOT JUST TEAL AND JUST LOWER THE BAG LIMITS. I WOULD BET THERE WERE MORE WOODIES KILLED LAST WEEKEND (THE OPENER OF THE EARLY TEAL SEASON) THAN TEAL IN GA. WE DIDN'T EVEN GET TO PULL THE TRIGGER, WE SAW NO TEAL, 50 WOODIES, A COUPLE MALLARDS AND A FEW RINGNECKS.
MICAH
hunter

Postby ol' yeller » Thu Sep 30, 2004 2:15 pm

Our teal season in Arkansas does not affect our regular duck season. At this time of year about the only ducks that we have migrating down are bluewing teal and the occassional pintail. The resident wood ducks, mallards and canada geese seem to get a bit flustered, but our teal season ends towards the end of September and they have until the end of November to calm down again.

yeller
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby bigmossy » Thu Sep 30, 2004 3:01 pm

When our teal season opens, the only other duck around are woodducks and like micah said there were probably more wood ducks killed on accident than there were teal killed on purpose. I think the early season should be a teal/wood duck season instead of teal only. Not enough teal have made it this far to really make it worthwhile except for us die hards.
ACTS 10:10-13
bigmossy
Pro Hunter

Postby jlb512 » Sun Oct 10, 2004 9:03 am

In PA its all together but how can't you tell the difference in woodies and teal. Teal only stick around for a little while once there is a good chill they're out. I got 3 teal and a woodie on Sat. My best of first day action. I can't imagine having an early teal only season. Trudging through the swamps just for the op of one species. good luck fellas
jlb512
hunter

Postby bigmossy » Sun Oct 10, 2004 5:47 pm

You would be suprised at the number of people around here that use Teal season to introduce theirselves and their kids to waterfowling. To them a duck is a duck.
bigmossy
Pro Hunter

Postby jlb512 » Mon Oct 11, 2004 4:33 pm

Thats cool, Round here its more like geese as an introduction since there is an early season. If your kids have much luck at shooting teal they should be a real good shot when they are older. Teal can be quick. :thumbsup:
jlb512
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Mon Oct 11, 2004 5:54 pm

There is no early teal season here. Being the northern plains are breeding grounds it has never taken hold up here-thank God. Heck most can not tell the difference between a Mallard or a BWteal:rolleyes:
Reason I say this is because the effects of Youth Waterfowl Day has around here--it is 1 week before the regular opener. The kids scare the crap out of all the ducks :eek: literally 2 boxes of shells shot and 1 bird bagged? :pissed: For Gods sake take them clay pigeon shooting a few times first! Anyway the local farmer said there was MORE shooting on YWD than on the regular season opener this year... :thumbsdown: There has not been a good reg season opener since the YWD has started up here. Do not get me wrong-I like kids to hunt, but why aren't the guys taking the kids with all fall? Studies up here are showing YWD is having a minor effect on the kids continuing to hunt because the adults do not take the kids during reg season. :thumbsdown: I did not go with my Dad all the time when I was a under 15, but went at least 1/2 the time. So I'm not sure why the adults are not taking the kids 1/2 the time during the reg season???
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby bigmossy » Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:22 pm

In Mississippi we have our youth waterfowl weekend the weekend after the season closes. Doesn't really matter for my kids though. If they want to go with me anytime they can go. :thumbsup:
bigmossy
Pro Hunter

Postby turkmaster04 » Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:49 am

The early teal season in FL. is around the end of September. It is still 95 degrees and very humid. There are a lot of local woodies to shoot at but the majority of winter birds are still up north.
turkmaster04
hunter

Postby yellowlab » Sun Oct 24, 2004 9:24 pm

around here in early teal season there aren;t that many "other ducks" around
so i don;t think it bothers them here
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting