First Hunt Recommendations?

Mexico, Europe, South America, New Zealand, etc. Countries other than the US and CA.

Moderator: AAR

First Hunt Recommendations?

Postby Yeller Dawg » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:16 pm

I am relatively new to the forum, but have already picked up lots of information. However, as I have recently gotten an "empty nest," I am anxious to take some of those hunting trips I've always dreamed of. From those of you who have hunted internationally, where would you recommend someone make their first international trip? I enjoys all types of wingshooting and have read (and dreamed) much about Africa, Argentina, Uruguay, Mexico, etc., etc., also of course Canada, which doesn't seem very international to us in the US, I know. :smile:
Washington State Voters...

Vote NO on I-594

www.voteno594.com/initiative-594/
Yeller Dawg
hunter

Re: First Hunt Recommendations?

Postby The Waterfowler » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:48 pm

It depends on how long you want to hunt, how far you want to go and how much you want to spend. If you are really serious, contact me via p.m. with yoru e-mail or phone number. i've been most places and done a lot.
Helping waterfowl make bad decisions since 1961.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby Yeller Dawg » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:50 am

Thanks Waterfowler. PM sent.

For others that may have the same questions before suggesting anything, I have never hunted internationally, so I am going strictly by what I've seen advertised and how that lines up with what I want. But I guess have always figured that traveling within the Americas would be easiest, a mixed bag (eg duck and dove, or dove and pigeon, etc.) with 4 to 5 days of shooting. As for cost, from what I've been seeing these types of hunts cost between $2500 - $3K, depending on what is offered. Bringing back a trophy would be nice, but is not a requirement for me.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Vote NO on I-594

Yeller Dawg
hunter

Postby forester11 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:20 pm

I've never hunted internationally, but I think it was last year a guy from Norway put up a youtube video of his goose hunts on goosehuntingchat.com they looked pretty crazy, no bag limits all that fun stuff. Here is the link.
http://www.goosehuntingchat.com/viewtopic.php?t=6783
forester11
hunter

Postby Yeller Dawg » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:47 am

Forester, Very cool. Man they were hammering them. :thumbsup:

Looks like a good time. Thanks for the tip.

yd

Vote NO on I-594

Yeller Dawg
hunter

Postby manitobawoj » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:07 am

A good stepping stone to international hunting would be Canada. We have great mixed bag hunts and liberal limits. I still want to get to Iceland for geese.
manitobawoj
hunter

Postby Yeller Dawg » Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:48 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, manitobawoj. Some Canada hunting is high on my list! I'm within driving distance of southern Alberta, so you can bet I'll be making it up that way sooner or later.

Vote NO on I-594

Yeller Dawg
hunter

Postby allnighter » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:42 pm

If I were you I would try and go hunt mexico. I plan on making it there one day.
allnighter
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:43 am

I've hunted all the places mentioned along with 5 provinces in Canada. Each one is unique unto itself. It would be hard to list a favorite but if someone insisted it would be Argentina followed closely by Uruguay as they aren't any rules there and wingshooting is uninhibited. Canada, Iceland, Mexico, New Zealand and Africa are all good, but for the money it's hard to beat South America in general and particularily Argentina/Uruguay. First thing to remember is you get what you pay for. There are good hunts and cheap hunts but few good, cheap hunts. Being miles from home on a less than expected hunt is miserable to say the least. I've been there on several scouting trips for outfitters that I'm associated with and had some very pleasant surprises as well.
Helping waterfowl make bad decisions since 1961.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Return to International Duck Hunting