To Snap Or Not To Snap?

A forum to discuss home defense and personal defense to keep out crime.

Moderators: La. Hunter, badandy970, Montanafowler

To Snap Or Not To Snap?

Postby Preacher1011 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:41 pm

Just curious as to what y'all use. Thumb break or not? I use a Galco Combat Master Holster for my 1911 and like it a lot. I'm not a huge fan of thumb breaks myself, but to each his own.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Re: To Snap Or Not To Snap?

Postby marsh1buster » Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:45 pm

not a big fan of thumb breaks, that's why I use the Blackhawk with Serpa. Best of both worlds, adjustable retention without a snap!
http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/inde ... rerid=6847
PRETA--People for the Reasonably Ethical Treatment of Animals

If you love animals but don't lose sleep over whether a fish has feelings, this group's for you!
marsh1buster
hunter

Postby swampwise » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:48 pm

to snap. if for no other reason then simply to keep your piece in place should you have to engage in some strenuous activity such as running. theyre not that hard to disengage.
assateague wrote:
Indawoods wrote:I had a great, great aunt born with a vestigial tail. :lol3:

That was your great, great uncle. Tell him to turn around.
swampwise
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:17 am

I have some of both and each has their merits. My normal daily carry holster is an open top but if I am working outdoors or when I'm hunting I normally use a thumb break for the added retention. In actuality a properly sized or adjusted thumb break holster doesn't cause any delay in presenting as the thumb disengages the retention while you take your normal hold on the pistol prior to drawing. But they do help retain the gun when bending over, climbing into and out of stands, mounting or dismounting a 4-wheeler or other activity where an open top might possibly allow the gun to slip (incidentally my open top holster is a non adjustable retention leather type).
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Return to Home and Personal Defense Forum