Parry sound area and Macadesh Bay info

Waterfowl hunting across Canada; from the sounds of New Foundland to the lakes of Ontario to the vast fields and potholes of the plains to the high artic and the sea duck hunting of the Pacific. Includes Quebec duck hunting, Ontario duck hunting, Manitoba duck hunting, Saskatchewan duck hunting, Alberta duck hunting & all other provinces indluding goose hunting info as well.

Moderator: REM1100

Parry sound area and Macadesh Bay info

Postby mikek » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:55 am

I am looking forward to my 3rd season of waterfowl hunting. I was taken out late seaon 1 time the first year & went out again myself duck hunting on inland parry sound area lakes and got hooked. Last year I got out a couple more times on lakes & a couple times in a marsh in a canoe. Also got out 5 times in farm fields near Macadesh Bay (coldwater) and near Parry sound to Goose Hunt. I've had a blast and want to get out lots more this year. I have equiped my self fairly well from decoys & calls to new waterfowl 12 gage & painted camo on my new duck boat. I have yet to get a dog do to family & work restraints that would not allow me to spend the proper time with it. As a result the field goose hunting has proved better for me due to shot bird retreval. However I would like to get at some more mallards and am interrested in field hunting Mallards as well.
The purpose of this post is to learn local info where I hunt & meet and hunt with experienced or at least likewise passonite local hunters. I am 45 & and a mentor to my 14 year old son who also looks forward to this season. I am also Interested to know if there are any water fowl clubs nearby. Also would like to hear about stratigies for hunting without dogs on the water for retreval of downed birds.Any help apreciated .
Thanks Mike :smile:
3 Geese So far
mikek
hunter

Re: Parry sound area and Macadesh Bay info

Postby marsdenb » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:25 pm

heh Mike I am new to the area moving up from Long Point where we had a lot of ducks on Lake Erie. I have a dog/duck boat. Please let me know if you want to do a call and discuss a hunt. My new place is in Port Carling. Not a lot of ducks around here so I am hoping to see more if I go more your way toward Parry Sound. Also interested in upland hunting, grouse, woodcock etc.
Best
B
marsdenb
hunter

Postby jo mcrow » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:10 pm

The Matchedash Bay area will have much better hunting then Port Carling & Parry Sound put together!!
I have hunted the area for over 30 years. I don't hunt Matchedash much as it is not what it used to be. Long Point is also not as good as it once was! The boat and the dog will give you much more hunting opportunities then straight field shooting.
The diving ducks start arriving 1st week after Thanks giving in Matchedash Bay.
July resize 09.jpg

Lake Simcoe can produce good hunting as well. the photo is Nov. 2008 Jo Mcrow
jo mcrow
hunter

Postby waubamikrider » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:25 am

Reviving this 1 year old thread!. I also am looking at hunting the Macadesh bay with my new fully equiped duck boat. Any info on this?? is there spots I need to stay away from??
waubamikrider
hunter

Postby ahmadsa96 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:05 pm

I was a big fan of this bay. However last few years it has been nothing but diappointing. Went there few times last year. Skunked 2wice and 1 duck the third time. Cottages around are a pain. People are rude. OPP will visit for sure to ruin ur hunt. Take my advice, stay away. It is not worth the trouble.
ahmadsa96
hunter

Postby mikek » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:24 am

ahmadsa96 wrote:I was a big fan of this bay. However last few years it has been nothing but diappointing. Went there few times last year. Skunked 2wice and 1 duck the third time. Cottages around are a pain. People are rude. OPP will visit for sure to ruin ur hunt. Take my advice, stay away. It is not worth the trouble.

Thanks for the heads up.

The cottagers up here near parry sound where i live are a pain as well. If they see someone with a gun they call the cops. The cops must respond and check out your brief case full of paper work and will surly wreck your hunt if not your mood at the least.
3 Geese So far
mikek
hunter

Postby waubamikrider » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:03 am

Thanks for the info on Macadesh. I run into all kinds of goofs that are anti's and call the cops. I always try to stay away from cottages and/or houses.

People here gun shots and automatically call the damn cops. We have a hunt camp in Parry Sound area (North of parry) and its been in my family for 25+ years, and its been hunted for every year since it was built. A few years ago some guy bought some old acreage and subdivided a bunch of land near by. Which meant 2-4 new cottages/houses. That was the first year since hunting that spot that cops came saying the had complaints of GUN SHOTS! OH MY God! GUN SHOTS DURING DEER SEASON. Note that there is several thousand acres of crown land near this entire area we hunt. And all other land we have permission. All legal begal.

F"N B"LL SH"T hippie a55holes.

Frosts my cookies.

Anyway. I also just finished my totally done out duck boat and hope to try the waubashene area, but I will start looking for areas just outside macadesh.

The boat is a 16ft tracker Grizzly with a 60/45 jet, mud buddy blind system and all the little goodies inside. Works great, now I just need to get the hang of this waterfowl hunting thing. I've gone out a lot in the last few weeks but am struggling through it. Learning from my mistakes, that's for sure.
waubamikrider
hunter

Postby dingbart » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:17 pm

Very very diapointed. There were sky busters everywhere. very few ducks...mostly singles. Will never go back again.
dingbart
hunter

Postby phat_fowler » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:52 pm

1000s of greanheads and merganzers at Matchedash bay. There are some blue bills too but not too many. I have never seen so many birds in all my life of hunting there. It is a once in alifetime experience.

All birds are sticking to main river and deeper water within the bay. Stay close to the southern side of the main bay or sit anywhere in the main river chanel that comes into the bay from the east. Nothing sits in shallow water as there is too much frost and weed.

3 guys been limited out last 2 days. Will hunt hard on Saturday. Lots of geese too but they fly over out of range.
phat_fowler
hunter

Postby jo mcrow » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:34 pm

How did you do on Sat?
I hunted this area for years and it was always good.
I'm glad it is producing a few birds again
Jo Mcrow
jo mcrow
hunter

Postby phat_fowler » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:36 am

Awesome. 1 Can, 2 blue bills, rest mallards...no geese. Limited out again for 2 guys. South side of the main canel. Divers flying well in the afternoon and mallards decoying like crazy in the evening. Water is still navigable.

Friend hunted yesterday PM from a canoe. limited out on big fat greenheads.
phat_fowler
hunter

Postby jo mcrow » Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:25 pm

Hey
Thanks for the update!! I may poke my way around the bay this week.
I will let you know.
Thanks again.
Jo Mcrow
jo mcrow
hunter

Postby phat_fowler » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:31 pm

BIG BIG wavers on Sat AM. But we manged 4 teals and 11 mallards, 3 blue bills. Not even a single cripple. They come in really close and 3 1/2" BB's do an awsome job. We were out and on the road at 10AM.

Like I said, stick to the south side of the main chanel in the bay and u'll do really well. Did not see too much flying north.

I've also heard that they r really flying well in long point, luther and even up in parry sound/muskoka area.

This warm weather is gonna move the birds south. Hopefully we'll get a fresh lot by the weekend. Praying for cold weather and snow. I'm going back on Wed. or Thurs. Will post a report on Thurs nite.
phat_fowler
hunter

Postby phat_fowler » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:40 pm

What a day. Wind rain snow. But lots and lots of ducks are around. Still limited out easy. 2 guys and a canoe. Worth going back on Sat. But most ducks still sticking to south side of the bay along the main chanel.
phat_fowler
hunter

Postby Ace's_Owner » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:21 pm

Looks like the lake effect snow machine is in high gear just north of there but Matchadesh is just south of the line, at least so far today.
Ace's_Owner
hunter

Postby phat_fowler » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:43 am

Went out Sat AM. Bang Bang Bang. Some hill-billy sky busters shooting at everything that flew by. Then the ice came. I can't tell for sure if they could have made it out ok. Probably paddled/pushed to shore and walked home.

Howling wind, snow, ice, and everything froze. But, we did get our limit. There were 2 more parties around, but 1 of them...really man...firing away like there is no tomorrow...even 100+yrds at geese.
phat_fowler
hunter

Postby dingbart » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:29 am

Anyone know what the ice/snow condition is on the marsh?
dingbart
hunter

Postby phat_fowler » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:03 pm

Freezing fast. With temps -5C Friday PM and lower Sat AM should be solid enough for ice skating.
phat_fowler
hunter

Postby ahmadsa96 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:14 am

@phat_fowler,
I don't know what you're hunting but if it is ducks then it ain't Matchedash. I live close by and the bay had little or no action all season...same as many previous years. I usually have to drive some distance to get on birds. If you have any proof of your claims of "limits" please post some pics. Otherwise don't spread rumours and misguide fellow hunters into believing your stories and sending them on a wild goose chase.

Anyone claiming to have shot limits at Matchedash bay must be talking about 1 rare fluke or maybe a limit for 1 person by all then hunters in the bay. The place does not have capacity to procude cosistent limits. There are always more guns in there than birds.

I would not go there even if someone paid me to because of 2 simple reasons:
1) Too many sky busters, not enought birds.
2) Not worth ruining my equipment in the shallow rocky bottom (I guarantee you will ruin your motor). It is worse than Luther when it comes to rocks and tree stumps.
ahmadsa96
hunter

Postby phat_fowler » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:46 am

Where r them ducks??? seen more hunters than birds. good idea to stay home this weekend cuz hippy foreign hunter swarm every corner of the marsh on nice sunny days. bring the cold...freeze them b@lls of... :lol:
phat_fowler
hunter

Return to Canada Duck Hunting