Kids and Bluegills

Fresh and salt water fishing

Moderators: Dogman, MossyGO!, Kiskadinna, WSUWESTON, Montanafowler

Kids and Bluegills

Postby Escopeton » Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:27 pm

On a recent road trip through the mid-west, we had a stop in Mansfield, MO. The place we stayed at had a pond on the grounds that was open for the guests to fish. It contain Bluegills, some Crappie and catfish. Since I travel with a fly rod I was going to break it out for the kids the first afternoon. The owner told me that the fish can only be caught with a worm - even more reason to fish it. I had brought some poppers with me for such an occasion.

Here is my eldest daughter with her first 'gill. She is becoming a very good fly rodder and caught a few on her own.

Here is my youngest. She claims to have caught the fish all by herself; who am I to disagree.

My son didn't want his photo taken for whatever reason. But, he wanted to handle all the fish caught and throw them back in. Here is a nice bluegill before becoming airborne.

The next morning, I had a chance to fish on my own. Here is one of many bluegills that smashed the little popper. The kids had a blast and so did I.

Living large in the southwest.
Escopeton
hunter

Re: Kids and Bluegills

Postby GroundSwatter » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:26 am

I'm in my mid 20's and I still like catching bluegill on a fly rod or otherwise. Looks like a great time with the kids! :thumbsup:
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:58 am

this is what it's all about! They look like healthy tastey Bluegills for sure.
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby floating redneck » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:27 pm

them things fight for there size dont they
"remember im pulling for you, we're all in this together" Red Green
floating redneck
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:13 am

I took this fella' from work fishin' one day, the ole' boy was about to retire and he wanted to catch Bluegill. So I took him to a pond I knew of and started catching a few. I threw back about 4 or 5 'cause they were a little small. After about the next two throwbacks he said;"hey why are you throwin' all those fish back"? I said; well they are a little small aren't they"? He asked me if I eat beans , and I told him yeah..... He said "well,... they're bigger than a bean aren't they"!!! :yes:
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Ajgall1055 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:44 pm

I've fished a lot and for my money bluegills on a fly rod are just about the most fun you can have. Plus if you're so inclined they fry up really good to. i can't wait til my gets get old enough to fish with me.
Ajgall1055
hunter

Return to Fishing