Choke and Gun Combos!

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

Choke and Gun Combos!

Postby perrysbirds » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:16 am

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post to this forum.The Name is perry and I am from Ontario,Canada!
Anyways I am mostly a Turkey and Deer hunter but have killed moose also.I will get right to my first post!
I have a Remington 870 Express in 12GA,just your plain simple wood stock 12GA,nothing fancy!
I have had it a couple of years and managed to take a few turkeys with it!
I recently purchased a Pure Gold turkey Choke.670 for my gun.I was wondering if anyone uses this choke with hevi-13s?
If so what are your results?
Oh im still waiting for my choke to arrive so I dont have it in myhand as of yet!

Thanks Perry
perrysbirds
Newb

Re: Choke and Gun Combos!

Postby fallnl » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:21 pm

Well...I don't have an 870..I use a Mossberg 935....And I happen to be sold on the Tru Glow turkey chokes...My last one I shot in May, I was using Winchester turkey loads and I was able to put all pellets in his head...only one hit the body, so....I like Tru Glow personally... :thumbsup:
If it flies...It might not die, but by God it will get a damned good dodging workout!!!

2009 TOTALS:
Mallard: 5

Team Quackers for Quackers...(the lowly probie)
fallnl
hunter

Postby NickK » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:15 pm

I shoot a Colonial Extended Turkey Choke...forget the restriction... :crying: The Kent 3" #4's pattern amazing for me out to 45 yards. Smoked a Jake and a Tom in Southern Ontario this past season with it.
Love to duck hunt :)
NickK
hunter

Postby killerv » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:26 pm

Beretta Xtrema2 with XXX full Comp-n-choke and winchester supreme elite #6. It shoots as tights as I am comfortable with. If I tried to go any tighter, I'd definitely need a scope or red dot but I don't want all that on the top of my gun.
killerv
hunter

Postby badger » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:10 am

HELLO, I ALSO AM HAVING TROUBLE AT GETTING THE BEST CHOKE FOR MY 1187 3INCH. I LIKE 4'S AND 6' FOR TURKEYS. ANY GOOD SUGESTIONS OUT THERE FOM TO TRY THAT MIGHT DO THE TRICK?
Fowl language spoken here.

Go here, <http://www.flickr.com/photos/brockbadger/> , for my hunting pictures.
badger
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:36 pm

Perry,

I shoot a 835 with a Pure Gold .670 choke. As far as results...I`m sure that old Mr Tom ain`t to happy.
The choke throws blistering patterns at the range and in the field. And yes, I shoot Hevi-13 #6 shot. Those to comboed up should be illegal

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Joe Hunter » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:24 pm

Here's an article about turkey loads with an 870 and Rem chokes.

http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/turkey_loads.htm
Joe Hunter
hunter

Postby cjcass » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:19 pm

I shoot an older 870 with a 28" barrel. Last season I went 4 for 4 using Kent Diamond Plate #5s with a .665 Jellyhead. For this coming Spring, I picked up a few boxes of Hevi-13s and another choke, the Wad Wizard supreme. I had no reason to change, I guess this past season was "too easy."

The Hevi-13s do pattern well but IMO not enough to warrant any further expense in regards to the Kents.
cjcass
hunter

Postby goosetalker18 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:58 pm

I shoot a SBE2 with a comp n choke XX full and it is amazing best choke I have ever used.
goosetalker18
hunter

Postby Kurt Lehman » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:08 pm

Well Perry you have one of the best combo's available today, The Pure Golds are excellent chokes very forgiving and shoot alot of diferent shells very well which is uncommon. The Hevi-13 is also very good but sometimes inconsistant some lots will shoot amazing and the very next lot will shoot so so, not bad just not as good as the other. If you can but it local and pattern and it shoots well go back and buy more of that same lot#. My buddies and have shot alot of birds with Hevi-13 and have been very happy with it every bird has been crushed!

Kurt
Kurt Lehman
hunter

Postby huntmachine » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:27 am

I use a Mossberg and i shoot a Tru Glo full choke, or a Carlsons Full Choke, either one is GREAT! After not harvesting a bird one year (and shooting him), full choke is the only way.
huntmachine
Newb

Postby Wet Doggg » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:27 pm

Just bought a new Remington 870 SPS ShurShot Turkey gun today. Came with a Wingmaster HD™ Turkey Rem™ Choke that I will try first. Excited to try out my new gun.
Wet Doggg
hunter

Postby Uncle Jesse » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:36 am

huntmachine wrote:I use a Mossberg and i shoot a Tru Glo full choke, or a Carlsons Full Choke, either one is GREAT! After not harvesting a bird one year (and shooting him), full choke is the only way.

I know this ain't what you asked but I fully agree with hunt machine.

I went through all the hevi high density 3.5 flite control super black eagle shot tight red dot choke phases and could kill paper turkeys deader than dead, but on a real hunt I couldn't hit a thing. It wasn't uncommon for me to go through a box of shells within the first 2 weeks of season. So I decided to back to the good ol' days when I used a standard full choke and lead 4's.

I settled on a single shot NEF shootin Kent 2 3/4 1.5 ounce of #5 at 1400 fps and ain't looked back or missed.
Jesus Saves
Uncle Jesse
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:40 pm

I use my M1 with a Hastings choke and shoot Winchester #5 or Hevi #6. Even though the Hevi doesn't need the X-full it still patterns great and the #5 lead is as tight.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby A-Bomb » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:01 pm

12 GA Benelli Nova, Primos Jelly Head Choke .655 constriction, 3 1/2" #6 Winchester Supreme Double X Copper Plated Turkey Loads....Effective to 50 yds outta my gun. Unfortunately it had to prove its range a few times with some uncooperative birds. Teach them to hang up out there! :lol: :thumbsup: But when theyre in close where you want em, you had better have a good bead on em as its a tight pattern!

Dads got an .870 Supermag and uses an extra full undertaker choke tube with Winchester Supereme Double X Copper Plated Turkey Loads in #5 and patterns great as well.

Good luck
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
http://www.midha.org/
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby TNDuckHunter1 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:22 pm

I have an 870 and use a Gobblin Thunder. I have not tried anything else because that seems to work rather well. I just purchased a Stoeger M2000 waterfowl and turkey combo package. The 22 inch barrel came with a turkey choke. I just cleaned it a few minutes ago and I am headed out to pattern it. I am sure I will be getting an after market turky choke later but we will see what its got for now.
TNDuckHunter1
hunter

Postby elkslayer » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:06 pm

I use a Browning Gold 24" barrel with an Indian Creek choke tube and a 2x-7x scope shooting 3 1/2" Hevi 13 Magnum Blend, awesome patterns. I just bought a Remington 11-87 ShurShot turkey gun (my Gold weighs a ton) for all day hunts, it kicks like a mule with 3" Magnum Blend and shoots low left, need a very small Allen key to adjust the sights which I didn't have, Remington factory choke, throws a nice pattern. Good luck!
elkslayer
hunter

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum