Wood Duck Boxes

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

Wood Duck Boxes

Postby callumcuffumkillum » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:18 pm

I have heard different opinions about duck boxes. Some swear it works while others say it doesnt produce better duck hunting. I hunt a beaver pond that usually has plenty of woodies but 2 years ago i duck pond was built a mile away from my property. Since then there have been no ducks in there except when the there corn pond freezes over and my beaver pond is the only open water. Which here in sc doesnt happen much. My question is would duck boxes at least bring some ducks back to the pond during the hunting season?
It's not a passion it's an obsession
callumcuffumkillum
hunter

Re: Wood Duck Boxes

Postby carsonr2 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:40 am

All a wood duck box is going to do is provide more and potentially safer locations for wood ducks to nest. Since this doesn't take place during the fall, it is unlikely that a box will draw ducks to it during the fall.....Now saying that, if a brood is raised in boxes that are on your pothole you are increasing the odds of ducks being in the area due to the usage of the water by the ducks in the boxes.

So IMO, putting up duck boxes could only help your odds, as opposed to not using any boxes, and taking the chances that the ducks will nest naturally on your pothole. Building and placing wood duck boxes ultimately improves the odds of creating more ducks. :thumbsup:
Vegetarian = Old Indian Saying "Not Good Hunter"
carsonr2
hunter

Postby callumcuffumkillum » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:32 pm

Thanks for information :thumbsup: has anybody had good luck from using them personaly?
callumcuffumkillum
hunter

Postby grandquay » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:55 am

I put up 8 boxes this winter. There are a lot of woodies around now, but we'll see if they stay for October. It won't hurt to put them up. It's fun and interesting to see what uses them.
grandquay
hunter

Postby callumcuffumkillum » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:34 pm

i think somebody said that the dnr will give you the boxes if you put them up. Anybody know if this is true?
callumcuffumkillum
hunter

Postby callumcuffumkillum » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:34 pm

i think somebody said that the dnr will give you the boxes if you put them up. Anybody know if this is true?
callumcuffumkillum
hunter

Postby dustin1507 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:04 am

I agree with the above post about the fact that it can't hurt to put them up. I would definitely make sure that you check them regularly and keep them cleaned out. This year after the season we put up five duck boxes in NE GA. We kept them cleaned out and hatched well over 80 ducklings this year. I even saw one group the day they were hatching, pretty awesome stuff.
dustin1507
Newb

Postby Preacher1011 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:39 pm

callumcuffumkillum wrote:i think somebody said that the dnr will give you the boxes if you put them up. Anybody know if this is true?

I don't know about that, but they aren't too hard to make if you have a saw, some nails, and a drill.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby njonesy_07 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:40 pm

Im building a dozen boxes right now. Just make sure you do some research about materials if you want them to be productive. We aware also, that some materials can be toxic to the woodducks...so use alternate resoures in place. They are fairly easy to build as Preach stated
Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Postby NHDuckHunter » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:21 am

I built a bunch last year. We aren't supposed to hang them ourselves, but fish and game is more than happy to take them for you. I did however, hang one right behind my house. I went out there last week to take a look around and do some deer scouting and the pond was LOADED with woodies. I know they weren't all born in the house, but it was cool to see them there when they were never in there before.
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:08 am

njonesy_07 wrote:Im building a dozen boxes right now. Just make sure you do some research about materials if you want them to be productive. We aware also, that some materials can be toxic to the woodducks...so use alternate resoures in place. They are fairly easy to build as Preach stated

I forgot about that. Unless I'm mistaken I think cedar is the big one to stay away from. I have a big manual on bird/wildlife houses from the game warden I intern with. I think it said cedar, but I could be mistaken. I'll have to check when I get home.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby kysupernova » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:34 pm

Here in central KY we have many resident woody's and I feel it is mainly because of all the wood duck boxes. My local lake has probably hundreds of them in the trees and just as many wood ducks. It also gives great pride to know you helped establish such a beautiful species of duck.
kysupernova
hunter

Postby Tango2Echo » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:08 am

Cedar and cyprus are perfectly fine for woodduck boxes. They will not help draw ducks to your area in the fall, but you will be breeding more ducks come spring. I have about 100 boxes currently and will add about 25 more this winter. With a properly placed box we get about a 60% nest rate. Factor in an average clutch of 10 eggs, 50% of which survive. That's 5 ducks per box I'm adding to the local population, or about 300 ducks per year out of 100 boxes.

As far as someone having an impoundment near you, you will never pull ducks away from the impoundment. However, they are FEEDING in the impoundment. Find out where they go mid-day and where they roost. I have good success hunting swamps and creeks near impoundments in the late morning and early afternoon. Drift hunting works well on some creeks too.
Tango2Echo
hunter

Postby njonesy_07 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:48 pm

Here is 1 of 12 I built and put up.

Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Postby troutbum43 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:41 pm

Always interesting to put em up and see what happens. I would caution you not to put them to close together, at least 1/4 mile of separation. Close together boxes usually create dump nests, and unless you take some and incubate them one hen isn't going to be able to get 16 or more eggs warm. I usually put the wood shavings in them in the end of January, you might be suprised how early you see hens start to establish nests.
Conserve, promote, protect and enhance...then harvest!
troutbum43
hunter

Postby Mallard Cutter » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:53 pm

I have about 30 boxes that I maintain.They definitly use them,all my boxes raised birds in them this past year,so yes they do work.I put them up on ponds that I don't even get to hunt also.Depending on the size of the pond I may put one ,two or three up.
The one thing I would caution you on is to try and put them on a metal 1" or 1 1/4" pipe with a predator guard on the pipe just below the house to keep the racoons and snakes out of the box.I place the boxes out in the water to keep the predators from getting to them and to keep the squirrels from nesting in them.Don't know if you have ever seen a squirrel come out of a duck box when you raise the lid but it will flat scare the crap out of ya !!!! One other thing,try and put the door on the side so it will be easier to clean out.Good luck and try to put out as many as you can,because they will use them. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Mallard Cutter
hunter

Postby CaliDukks » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:31 am

Mallard Cutter wrote:I have about 30 boxes that I maintain.They definitly use them,all my boxes raised birds in them this past year,so yes they do work.I put them up on ponds that I don't even get to hunt also.Depending on the size of the pond I may put one ,two or three up.
The one thing I would caution you on is to try and put them on a metal 1" or 1 1/4" pipe with a predator guard on the pipe just below the house to keep the racoons and snakes out of the box.I place the boxes out in the water to keep the predators from getting to them and to keep the squirrels from nesting in them.Don't know if you have ever seen a squirrel come out of a duck box when you raise the lid but it will flat scare the crap out of ya !!!! One other thing,try and put the door on the side so it will be easier to clean out.Good luck and try to put out as many as you can,because they will use them. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:ditto: On the Predator guard.

Although, sometime you will find owls in your boxes.
We put ours on 10-12' 4x4 wood posts with predator guards on em. I maintain about 18 and take record of their usage from January to June, twice a month. Really helps to establish the wood duck population around the area.
We send the results to DFG Biologists who really keep a good lookout on the numbers.
"Love God, and hunt ducks. And let the chips fall where they may."---Phil Robertson

Proud Contributor to the Sportsmens Legacy Foundation
CaliDukks
hunter

Return to Conservation/Biology