Goose floaters for ducks

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake, Token

Goose floaters for ducks

Postby Bargancaveman » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:06 pm

This has been a lousy duck season in Nebraska again. (unless you own or lease river access) We do have a good share of Geese in the area but I still enjoy calling and hunting ducks a lot more than geese. Is it productive to set out 12-15 goose floaters instead of duck decoys and will that draw the ducks in? Do you want to put out a dozen mallard decoys along with the goose floaters or is that not wise or productive?
If the government was in charge of the desert, there would be a shortage of sand in five years. Milton Friedman.
Bargancaveman
hunter

Re: Goose floaters for ducks

Postby mudpack » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:46 am

If you are in a spot ducks like, and have duck decoys out, goose decoys aren't going to make your spot any more attractive to ducks.
If you think the goose decoys might pull in a few geese, then by all means use them. A mixed spread is the way to go if you are targeting both ducks and geese.

In my experience, the hassle of adding goose decoys, in a number that will make any difference whatsoever, does not make them worth it when targeting ducks. I'd rather add two dozen more duck decoys than eight goose floaters; about equal in space required, about equal in visibility, about equal in time to pick up, about equal in cost.
Where I hunt, you just don't see a dozen or so geese mixed in with several dozen ducks. When I see a group like this, I can be sure it's a decoy spread and not live birds. :thumbsup: I think the birds see the same thing. Around here, the geese pretty much keep to themselves... except when packed into an open hole in the middle of iced-in big water. If your neck of the woods is different, then your results may be different; it all depends on what you see when you are scouting.
Last edited by mudpack on Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Often wrong, never in doubt...
mudpack
hunter

Postby Bargancaveman » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:01 pm

Where I'm at in eastern Nebraska there are lots more geese and fewer and fewer ducks, unfortunately. The idea came when I was on a small lake and the boat with nothing but goose decoys shot a few geese and I didn't have any even look at my spread. (all duck decoys) Your right about the space and difficulty using the bigger decoys. I was hoping I could get a shot at the more frequent geese but still have an opportunity at duck which I enjoy more. Thanks for the advice.
If the government was in charge of the desert, there would be a shortage of sand in five years. Milton Friedman.
Bargancaveman
hunter

Postby neckband4 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:35 pm

We run 50-60 goose floaters every time we hunt ducks over our 200 decoy spread. We've seen that they do pull ducks.
neckband4
hunter

Postby brentbullets » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:51 am

If I ever go back to hunting ducks on the water I will probably only put out goose decoys.
Walleyes and Waterfowl, what else is there?
brentbullets
hunter

Postby BusterAZ » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:18 am

I’m going to add 6 lesser Canada’s to the spread this year and put them out in a strategic location to see if they draw more ducks to my blind. Where I’m at, the big honkers stick together in larger flocks, but the lesser come around in smaller groups or pairs. I plan to put them farther out than than duck dekes, mainly for visibility. We’ll see if it helps.
Rather be the hunter than the prey!
BusterAZ
hunter

Postby BBK » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:07 am

Almost every duck ive killed this year has came right into the goose decoys instead of the ducks. Toss out a pair of ducks if you are worried, but id hunt over straight geese and a mojo any day.
BBK
hunter

Postby hurtin_honkers » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:06 pm

I dont see how it can hurt? Especially if you're not on the X and trying to pull birds. One of my late season go-to spots has the high probability of seeing the one big flock of migrating currently in the area. That spot is not at all big, and is very huntable with 6-10 duck floaters, and 6-10 full body ducks. So at most I add a pair of goose full bodies, one sentry and one feeding. But I find when I'm hauling decoys that the weight and size isn't worth it.
The worst thing about missing isn't the ridicule from your buddies, its the disappointed look of your dog
hurtin_honkers
hunter

Postby BusterAZ » Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:38 pm

This thread was resurrected! What I decided to use was 6 pack of FUD lessers. These work great from beefing up a spread. Also, I’ve found oversized coots work great too!
Rather be the hunter than the prey!
BusterAZ
hunter

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Wed May 20, 2020 5:21 am

Dont know if you guys have black swans where you shoot??? they work as a HUGE visual and the ducks seem to group around them on big public water down here...not 100% why they do it,but the mallards always seem to be swimming around any swans that are there....Ive got 3 canada goose floaters,2 have goofy head position for a goose,its more swan like in the curve of neck....havent been able to bring myself to paint them all black YET.... maybe next season .
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Wed May 20, 2020 5:54 am

No black ones here, but some folks use white swan decoys for attraction in areas they frequent.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Mon May 25, 2020 2:46 am

we had terrible weather for shooting,no wind at all,mirror smooth lake.we had the 3 goose floaters outside and off to one side of spread,paradise decoys x4 opposite them and mallards in head of cove....for first time ever we had paradise ducks come into spread...while we away of course :fingerpt: ...never leave the dekes... we still managed our usual 30 something for weekend.33 birds and two fluffy opossoms infact....plurry possums come down pine trees into our camp and pay the price.
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting