Rob Roberts mods

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderator: waterfowlhunter

Rob Roberts mods

Postby Coyote03 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:20 am

Thought about sending my m2 to rob after duck season. Thinking about having the internals polished and the forcing cone lengthened. Who has had it done and is it worth it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Coyote03
hunter

Re: Rob Roberts mods

Postby Coyote03 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:35 am

No one???

Coyote03
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:43 pm

No first hand experience, whatsoever, but once complimented a guest gun's ceracoating and was told the gun was done by Rob Roberts' shop, had their "full treatment" (or similar characterization) which was "worth every penny" (or similar characterization). Plainly "worth it" to that sample of one.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:43 pm

What does "worth it" mean to you? Never heard of lengthening a forcing cone so I looked it up on his website. $75 to supposedly reduce recoil and improve your patterns. Another $60 to polish the internals to "give them the initial break in needed to allow them to function smoother and less chance of malfunctions". So $135 plus shipping. Do I think it is worth it? No, sounds like something to be done so you can tell your buddies your gun was modified by Rob Roberts.

Hunting Partner 1 *shoots duck hovering over decoys at 25 yards*
Hunting Partner 2 - "Nice shot"
Hunting Partner 1 - "Thanks man, ever since I had my gun polished and cone lengthened by Rob Roberts I have noticed a 5% reduction to recoil and my pattern density is up 3.75%. I can really tell a difference!"
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby Pacific Fisher » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:24 am

You do not need to lengthen forcing cones for steel shot. If it is patterning well, "do not pick up a happy baby". I had forcing cones lengthened on a shotgun many years ago and it patterned worse after.
Polishing internals can help cycling issues if you are having them. I do my own on every shotgun I buy with a small hard stone and fine grit paper. The fit and fish of cycling parts on modern shotguns can be very rough.
Pacific Fisher
hunter

Postby likesbigspreads » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:34 pm

Sent my old SBE in to try and fix an issue with a shell coming out of the magazine before the spent shell ejected. Had them do all of the stuff mentioned in here as well as cerakote and added the slammer button. The problem did not get better after I got it back. Rather than send it back I got a new M2. If anything I would send it down there for the slammer button alone. That thing is sweet. And I could not tell any improvement in patterns?
likesbigspreads
hunter

Postby Coyote03 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:12 pm

Thanks for the input guys. Wasn’t set on doing it but now I’ve heard real world results, I’ll probably pass.

Coyote03
hunter

Postby z51 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:29 pm

Those mods probably won't hurt, but they won't help if the gun is functioning properly. If it aint broke don't fix it.
Well, are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?
z51
hunter

Postby callinfowl » Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:43 pm

likesbigspreads wrote:Sent my old SBE in to try and fix an issue with a shell coming out of the magazine before the spent shell ejected. Had them do all of the stuff mentioned in here as well as cerakote and added the slammer button. The problem did not get better after I got it back. Rather than send it back I got a new M2. If anything I would send it down there for the slammer button alone. That thing is sweet. And I could not tell any improvement in patterns?

Change your shell latch and shell latch spring and your mag tube spring. It's an easy job youtube has how to video's.
Lifes to short to sweat the small crap !
Lighten up and have some fun ,before ya die !

Laugh at yourself and with others!!!!!
callinfowl
Forum Moderator

Postby 3200 man » Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:55 pm

All those add-ons are a thing of the past , Newer guns of ( most ALL) makes already have these done !
This goes to show the Manufactures of firearms are listening to the Hunters and trying to capture as much of the
market-share as possible . Most of these add-ons don't make you a better shooter or hunter but , drinking the Kool-aid
with the latest and greatest certainly makes some , think they're ! :yes:

Personally I'll stay with my Wingmasters and Mod 12's.....Truly American Iron ? He Hee
3200 man
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum