Shotgun sight

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderator: waterfowlhunter

Shotgun sight

Postby gesthuntn » Fri May 22, 2020 4:48 pm

What kind of bead does everyone like on their bird gun? I have just used the stock bead but sometimes it is hard to pickup on. I've been thinking of getting one of the stick on 2 color beads. Does anyone here use one and what do you think of it?
gesthuntn
hunter

Re: Shotgun sight

Postby Rick Hall » Sat May 23, 2020 4:03 am

Front beads are long gone from the guns I use most. Apparently not an issue when the guns fit and I'm focused on the target.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Sat May 23, 2020 5:47 am

Rick Hall wrote:Front beads are long gone from the guns I use most. Apparently not an issue when the guns fit and I'm focused on the target.

X2...while my beads aren't gone I still never see them swinging on birds. People may "aim" on standing Turkey but it will kill ya wingshooting.
Deplorable Since 1776
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby 5 stand » Sat May 23, 2020 6:26 am

I agree with both of the above posts.
Keep that head down (wood on wood).
5 stand
hunter

Postby BusterAZ » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:33 pm

I also agree with the above statements in that the bead doesn’t matter so ever. Shotguns are instinctively pointed and not truly aimed! At least that’s how I learned to shoot from a man who had a room full of trap and skeet trophies! My old lady bought me a fiber optic sight, but I haven’t put it on any of my shotguns or plan to in the future! She got mad at me when I tried to regift it to a friend who lost his front bead. Lol, he is a natural shot and has no intention of replacing his bead! I’m a decent shot, but have to hone my skills much more at the sporting clays range before the season starts!
Rather be the hunter than the prey!
BusterAZ
hunter

Postby Bluesky2012 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:14 am

I’m not sure what happened to the beads on my guns... broke off years ago and have never once felt the need to replace. If it was fiber, I’d be likely to pop them off faster than natural events tend to do so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Bluesky2012
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:45 am

I put one of those magnetic fiber optic sights on my gun. I went hunting one day and at the end of the hunt realized the sight was no longer on the gun. Have no idea at what point in the hunt it was lost. Figure if I didn't notice it missing during the hunt It must not have been that important.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:38 pm

Shotgun cartridge manufacturers absolutely love guys that “aim” at moving targets with a bead.
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Jeep went to war, to make it safe for Land Rover to go to soccer practice.
Yuchi1
State Moderator

Postby RustyGunz1960 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:31 am

I don't use my bead when shooting but have used it from time to time to be sure I was properly mounting the gun. It's entirely possible to have your face pressed to wood, but not be looking exactly down the barrel. Once you develop good enough mounting habits through clay bird practice or mounting at home, the bead then becomes less needed. But until then you want your pattern to go on the target, not in its general direction.
RustyGunz1960
hunter

Postby Mikido » Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:29 pm

You just point the gun and don’t aim? Why not shoot from your hip then?

Don’t listen to these guys. Get a small fiber bead and don’t look back. Bagging birds has a lot more todo with a lot of more important things than training yourself to shoot without a bead. And yes, I shoot trap/sleet/parkour a few times a year very successfully with my heavy Stoeger camo semi auto.
Mikido
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:40 am

Mikido wrote:You just point the gun and don’t aim? Why not shoot from your hip then?

Don’t listen to these guys. Get a small fiber bead and don’t look back. Bagging birds has a lot more todo with a lot of more important things than training yourself to shoot without a bead. And yes, I shoot trap/sleet/parkour a few times a year very successfully with my heavy Stoeger camo semi auto.

Yes...Buncha dummies!

But Mikido apparently isn't going to share all of those "lot-more-important" things with you.
Deplorable Since 1776
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby C M Wings » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:39 am

I don’t know if I aim my shotgun, but I know I track targets and birds with the end of the barrel. Maybe that’s aiming. I use my bead but only as a reference. I’m use to seeing it at the end of the barrel and I shoot a 60/40 or so pattern so I have a mental fix on where in relation to my bead the target needs be above the barrel. It’s easier for me at least to do that with a bead than a flat rib but I’m sure after a few stands in sporting clays it wouldn’t matter as much as I think. I’m used to a bead so I would likely replace mine were it to get knocked off.
Ducks
C M Wings
hunter

Postby BusterAZ » Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:34 pm

If the shotgun sight gives you confidence then use it. Slap a glowing ball on there if it makes ya feel better. If the bead is on the bird, you are going to be shooting behind it! Point the bead ahead of the target and you’ll be fine! Just keep your head on stock and keep at it! If your shooting improves you can credit the sight or it could just be that you practiced more!
Rather be the hunter than the prey!
BusterAZ
hunter

Postby ohio mike » Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:00 pm

You have to be seeing something. Bead,barrel,or rib. Otherwise you don't know if the gun is mounted right or where it's pointed.Just like guns,cars,or wives different things work for different folks.If it feels good do it.I've come to like the small white Bradley bead.I shoot right handed but am left eye dominate and it does help me.
Pumpguns and puppies,who could ask for anything more!
ohio mike
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum