working dog photo's put them up

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, swampbilly 1980, hunt-chessies

Re: working dog photo's put them up

Postby Rick Hall » Wed May 12, 2021 11:17 am

HNTFSH wrote:
Rick Hall wrote:Have seen a very few at hunt tests and expect to live out my life without seeing one hunt.

What's even harder, even at tests, is seeing one wet.

Started water tests are absolute gimmes, so I'd like to think those I've seen at least eventually "titled" SHR and went home to proud owners.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Wed May 12, 2021 12:54 pm

Rick Hall wrote:
HNTFSH wrote:
Rick Hall wrote:Have seen a very few at hunt tests and expect to live out my life without seeing one hunt.

What's even harder, even at tests, is seeing one wet.

Started water tests are absolute gimmes, so I'd like to think those I've seen at least eventually "titled" SHR and went home to proud owners.

Most I've seen were running Senior or Master (not that they had achieved either pass or title including junior). The senior ones were all extremely hesitant to enter. Took excessive coaxing to get them wet. Sad part is a couple of those eventually titled senior having run 52 attempts and enough poor judges that would pass a sad dog. I am certain the investment strategy in time and fees was to be repaid in exorbitant stud fees based on Titles not performance.
Deplorable Since 1776
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Re:snow day

Postby simcgunner » Wed May 12, 2021 3:35 pm

snowday
Attachments
1 snow in blind.jpg
simcgunner
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Wed May 12, 2021 4:18 pm

Kinda odd that clicking on that upside-down (on my PC) shot rights it, but it's a whole lot better that way.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Wed May 12, 2021 4:25 pm

Rick Hall wrote:Kinda odd that clicking on that upside-down (on my PC) shot rights it, but it's a whole lot better that way.

Looks colder that way. I'd like to think the "click to position" was a new function but I don't think Vertical Scope is spending on money on updates and improvements.
Deplorable Since 1776
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Rick Hall » Mon May 17, 2021 4:32 am

The late great then-puppy coyote with a Monday September teal in flooded bean stubble:
IMG_2485a.jpg
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Locked&Loaded » Mon May 17, 2021 1:55 pm

HNTFSH wrote:Something most will never see in the field actually hunting, including me.

Poodle.JPG

Standard poodle? To each his own, but in my opinion they are ugly as they come. What amazes me is how many 'designer mutts' there are out there with one half the breeding being a standard poodle and the price some suckers are willing to pay for them.

Really nice gal a few streets down from me has a few different something or other doodle mutts that she sells for $3000 - $4000 a pop and has people from all over the country lining up to get one.

Talking to her sure makes me feel better about having bought a Wildrose puppy a dozen years ago.
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby HNTFSH » Mon May 17, 2021 2:24 pm

Locked&Loaded wrote:
HNTFSH wrote:Something most will never see in the field actually hunting, including me.

Poodle.JPG

Standard poodle? To each his own, but in my opinion they are ugly as they come. What amazes me is how many 'designer mutts' there are out there with one half the breeding being a standard poodle and the price some suckers are willing to pay for them.

Really nice charlatan a few streets down from me has a few different something or other doodle mutts that she sells for $3000 - $4000 a pop and has people from all over the country lining up to get one.

Talking to her sure makes me feel better about having bought a Wildrose puppy a dozen years ago.

FIFY
Deplorable Since 1776
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Locked&Loaded » Mon May 17, 2021 2:55 pm

HNTFSH wrote:
Locked&Loaded wrote:

Poodle.JPG

Really nice charlatan a few streets down from me has a few different something or other doodle mutts that she sells for $3000 - $4000 a pop and has people from all over the country lining up to get one.

FIFY

:lol3: She told me how many litters per year, average # of pups per litter, sales price of pups, etc and while she was talking I was doing the math in my head and thought ..... holy chit she is making a killing at selling mutts. Kind of sad really.
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby Rick Hall » Tue May 18, 2021 4:21 am

Hopefully, the proud new owners paying silly doodle money aren't condemning them to life in a kennel with minimal attention, as seems the case with a great many "papered" Labs.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Tue May 18, 2021 5:04 am

Rick Hall wrote:Hopefully, the proud new owners paying silly doodle money aren't condemning them to life in a kennel with minimal attention, as seems the case with a great many "papered" Labs.

From what I hear now and again they found a solution to let the larger bred dogs free to roam the house. Heck, the boss with two reddish colored "goldens" (the second bought to keep the 1st one "company" despite a house with 3 kids and two work-at-home parents) thinks "shock collars" the perfect way to correct the annoying behaviors. The depth of research and training with such a collar so deep that the term "e-collar" was received as new information.

I have no doubt after some innocent questions that the reddish colored family pets had any pedigree, health clearances and were very highly priced being bred for color and popularity among the high-end neighborhood status symbols. I think they all use the same groomer for the dog bath when the pups get dirty and you have to zap them off that little flower bed in the far corner of the backyard.
Deplorable Since 1776
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Locked&Loaded » Fri May 21, 2021 11:01 am

I obviously don't have the hand-eye coordination necessary to give commands, throw a bumper AND take a good picture. Somewhere out in that expanse of water is a yellow dog fetching a bumper.
20210407_160717.jpg
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby Rick Hall » Fri May 21, 2021 11:49 am

Locked&Loaded wrote:I obviously don't have the hand-eye coordination necessary to give commands, throw a bumper AND take a good picture. Somewhere out in that expanse of water is a yellow dog fetching a bumper.
20210407_160717.jpg

But it makes it look like you've a heck of a throwing arm.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Locked&Loaded » Fri May 21, 2021 1:05 pm

Rick Hall wrote:
Locked&Loaded wrote:I obviously don't have the hand-eye coordination necessary to give commands, throw a bumper AND take a good picture. Somewhere out in that expanse of water is a yellow dog fetching a bumper.
20210407_160717.jpg

But it makes it look like you've a heck of a throwing arm.

I'd make a helluva good bird boy!
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby Rick Hall » Tue May 25, 2021 8:25 am

Crap, missed another Monday. But here's a big duck from Peake, aka: the coyote's, puppy season:
IMG_3008a.jpg
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby .243 » Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:49 pm

Camo, from Albert County, New Brunswick.
Attachments
25623F07-D8AE-43D8-953E-BFB1847F46D7.jpeg
hunter

Postby .243 » Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:50 pm

Camo again, with some off season work.
Attachments
4CCFB456-76BC-4836-9968-65260DD4CAF7.png
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:50 am

Camo's hitting that water like "It's about time."
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:40 am

Think I missed last Monday photo entirely, so catching up:
CopyofIMG_3010a.jpg

CopyofIMG_3441a.jpg
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:31 am

Rick Hall wrote:Think I missed last Monday photo entirely, so catching up:
CopyofIMG_3010a.jpg

CopyofIMG_3441a.jpg

I feel for him. That looks like stuff I sometimes have to wade into when float tubing but probably much worse below the surface.
Deplorable Since 1776
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:12 am

Just part of it. Most years his "pond" starts out looking like this before I grind it to a slurry:
025a.jpg
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby sprigs4days » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:06 am

Our usual summertime watering holes we’ve been using since he was a pup have all but dried up.
DC0CA4DC-E3A6-4BD2-B303-074D08F9D95A.jpeg
“Life is hard, but it’s harder when you’re stupid” J. Kennedy (R-LA)
sprigs4days
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:37 am

sprigs4days wrote:Our usual summertime watering holes we’ve been using since he was a pup have all but dried up.

I've farmer friends here who are still crawfishing, so we've that shallow, generally big gator safe water to exercise the bug in. But their burgeoning population is pushing bigger gators into more and more ag land flood canals and drain ditches that used to be "safe".

From the time my guys are wee pups, they're "no"ed off gators, snakes and such well enough to, nearly always, ignore them. "Nearly always" not including a 6'-7' female that startled the bug a while back and started something of a running feud. Was close enough to break up the sparring pair with "No! Leave it!" on three occasions before opting for harsher measures and ordering an e-collar to gator-break the bug. But that's not proving so easy, as it seems it's just that one gal that has, or had, his interest.

He's shown little or no interest in any but one serious big male still dragging the roads for females at the end of that season and encountered in a very few inches of new rice water, where no gator, let alone one his size, should be. And he treated it more like the curiosity it was than an adversary or prey. Just stood and watched it for the longest time before wandering off and having to be waved back to the area for the lesson I wanted to teach. Then, when I finally had him at least kinda-sorta focused on the tataille, I hit the button, the bug yelped - and jumped away from a nearby water control pipe he apparently thought did it.

And so it's gone. Stood around waiting for him to show interest in a little one long enough this morning to think of filming and shot this near miss, our closest since the above with the big boy: (Not for those offended by the "f" word.)

Did pass by and see his nemesis, or at least I saw her and he should have winded her, but he never slowed and she slipped under when she saw me. Maybe tomorrow...
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:00 pm

Rick Hall wrote:
sprigs4days wrote:Our usual summertime watering holes we’ve been using since he was a pup have all but dried up.

I've farmer friends here who are still crawfishing, so we've that shallow, generally big gator safe water to exercise the bug in. But their burgeoning population is pushing bigger gators into more and more ag land flood canals and drain ditches that used to be "safe".

From the time my guys are wee pups, they're "no"ed off gators, snakes and such well enough to, nearly always, ignore them. "Nearly always" not including a 6'-7' female that startled the bug a while back and started something of a running feud. Was close enough to break up the sparring pair with "No! Leave it!" on three occasions before opting for harsher measures and ordering an e-collar to gator-break the bug. But that's not proving so easy, as it seems it's just that one gal that has, or had, his interest.

He's shown little or no interest in any but one serious big male still dragging the roads for females at the end of that season and encountered in a very few inches of new rice water, where no gator, let alone one his size, should be. And he treated it more like the curiosity it was than an adversary or prey. Just stood and watched it for the longest time before wandering off and having to be waved back to the area for the lesson I wanted to teach. Then, when I finally had him at least kinda-sorta focused on the tataille, I hit the button, the bug yelped - and jumped away from a nearby water control pipe he apparently thought did it.

And so it's gone. Stood around waiting for him to show interest in a little one long enough this morning to think of filming and shot this near miss, our closest since the above with the big boy: (Not for those offended by the "f" word.)

Did pass by and see his nemesis, or at least I saw her and he should have winded her, but he never slowed and she slipped under when she saw me. Maybe tomorrow...

You were milliseconds away from delivering the juice, I could feel it. I was pushing the button on my mouse.
Deplorable Since 1776
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Rick Hall » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:16 am

Eggzackly. The little ones are usually more naive than that and sometimes swim to us out of curiosity.

Would have been a lot simpler if he'd taken his fit to spar with one earlier in the spring. Could have swung by the house on the way to a farm release and set him up in the yard.
Rick Hall
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting Dog Forum