Flying a pup

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, swampbilly 1980, hunt-chessies

Flying a pup

Postby bkillgore » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:53 pm

Looking at flying my pup out to the trainer. It has to go from California to South Carolina and I just can’t justify driving it all the way there and back with the amount of time and money it would take.

Anyone fly there dog recently and have any good recommendations on airlines to use? Also looking for advice, I’m extremely nervous about it. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bkillgore
hunter

Re: Flying a pup

Postby RShockley » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:39 pm

I have used Delta Cargo for dogs and other animals without issue. You could always try something like Move The Dog Transportation. Another option would be to find a west coast dog trainer that is traveling to the Master National in South Carolina next month and see if they can take your pup with them.
RShockley
hunter

Postby Dakota Creek » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:15 am

RShockley wrote:You could always try something like Move The Dog Transportation.

If you think ground transportation might be an option, I would highly recommend Katie Becker (Move The Dog). Not sure if she goes as far west as California, but would give her a call ASAP to see what her schedule is. You can find her Move The Dog page on facebook.
NMH GMH GMHR-V HRCH UH Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC/CKC) (HRC & NAHRA 500 pt club)
HRCH-UH MHR-I Dakota Creek's Royal Gem MH
HRCH-UH WR Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc SH
SHR UH Dakota Creek's Cute As A Bug JH WC
Dakota Creek
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:36 am

I've had great luck with Delta, but wouldn't fly any dog anywhere on an other-than-direct flight.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Duck Diver » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:14 pm

You can also transport via ground with commercial transporters.

No idea the prices or how easy the logistics are. I do see a couple companies advertise on a regular basis on some of the forums.

Oops I see someone already suggested - just trying to be helpful as usual.
Duck Diver
hunter

Postby bkillgore » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:26 pm

Thanks for all the replies. Basically I’m looking for the least stressful way to get the dog out there. Ground transportation concerns me due to the fact that it’s a 37 hours drive and she will be in the kennel for more than that. The flying concerns me for stress reasons as well but should only be about a 5 1/2 hour flight. Guess I’m just nervous flying a pup but I’m sure it will be okay in the end.

bkillgore
hunter

Postby NCGWP » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:01 am

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/tr ... tsafe.html

That's what I would use if I could. I've shipped dogs with American. The dog's were fine.
NCGWP
hunter

Postby wraithen » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:08 pm

bkillgore wrote:Thanks for all the replies. Basically I’m looking for the least stressful way to get the dog out there. Ground transportation concerns me due to the fact that it’s a 37 hours drive and she will be in the kennel for more than that. The flying concerns me for stress reasons as well but should only be about a 5 1/2 hour flight. Guess I’m just nervous flying a pup but I’m sure it will be okay in the end.

I've used Edgar and his new hires for training transportation. I'm more comfortable with them. My previous dog bit the overconfident driver when she was trying to put a collar on him, but she seemed to take it in stride. You know they are being fed and watered at the least, which is more than I can say for delta. Research and find what you're comfortable with. A long drive may be hard on the stomach for a pup, but the airlines have killed many animals, and drivers have insurance and are willing to pay when something had happens. Prices being what they are, I trust move the dog much more than ANY airline, and it's about the same price, especially if you can coordinate the times.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Education is important, but common sense is importanter ~ tknight006
wraithen
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum