Insulated Kennel Cover Opinion

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, swampbilly 1980, hunt-chessies

Insulated Kennel Cover Opinion

Postby GunDawg420 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:55 pm

Hey Guys,

Curious if any of you have experience with the MudRiver Insulated Kennel Covers, or something similar...what’s your thoughts on what temps are just too cold for the insulated covers??? This year for our North Dakota trip we have 4 guys 2 dogs and ideally 1 truck. The dogs will have to be in kennels in the bed of the truck. Both kennels will have the insulated covers and good warm bedding, but it’s still going to be a long haul with temps in the low 30s in the morning. Should be no problem for the dogs right?? Any reason for concern here or am I overthinking this?
If you're too busy to go duck hunting, then you're too busy!
GunDawg420
hunter

Re: Insulated Kennel Cover Opinion

Postby Alaska_Skeeter » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:23 pm

I have 2 black labs and don't worry about them unless the temperature in the kennels is below 0 F.
That is assuming they are dry when I put them in the kennel.
Kennel is not in a windy,open pickup bed, rather in a shell with a dry sleeping bag in kennel.

I also try to put a bit of fat on them before a long hunt...took my youngest lab for
2 weeks this fall at duck camp and even doubling his normal food rations at duck camp,
highest fat content kibble on the market, he lost weight after 14 days of hunting.

I do try to "toughen them up" by having them sleep outside chain link kennel for a few weeks before duck season,
other than that they are in the house 24/7 unless out having fun.
Alaska_Skeeter
hunter

Postby Dakota Creek » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:49 am

Mud River's Dixie insulated cover should work for you and in some cases be more than what you need!

This from Mud River when asked about the insulating value of the kennel covers -

- The kennel covers will keep the inside of the crate 20-40 degrees warmer than the outside air temperature. Depending on - the size of the dog, whether it has been working or resting, windows on or off, door up or down and the immediate weather conditions - these factors will all effect the temperature inside the crate.

- Never have the whole crate cover shut up - in even cold weather - have part of the front door unzipped for ventilation.

- There really is no minimum temperature as it could never be too cold to use the kennel cover, but as far as warmer weather - the heat, the dog and the humidity, Mud River states that they would not suggest using the cover when the weather is above 60F.
NMH GMH GMHR-V HRCH UH Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC/CKC) (HRC & NAHRA 500 pt club)
HRCH-UH MHR-I Dakota Creek's Royal Gem MH
HRCH-UH WR Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc SH
SHR UH Dakota Creek's Cute As A Bug JH WC
Dakota Creek
hunter

Postby Anas rubripes » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:37 am

Dakota Creek wrote:Mud River's Dixie insulated cover should work for you and in some cases be more than what you need!

- Never have the whole crate cover shut up - in even cold weather - have part of the front door unzipped for ventilation.

:ditto: They hold a surprising amount of heat and moisture, even when it gets really cold. I was fortunate, but learned the hard way. Having learned my lesson, I try to cut down on the humidity (that same dampness that makes us feel chilled) by drying the dog off before putting him in his kennel and having two fleece blankets to switch out daily. As soon as we get back to camp, wet one gets hung up, dry one goes in for the next morning. I just saw camo print ones at Wal Mart for $2.50 each.

And for $20 you can use one of those indoor/outdoor thermometers to monitor kennel conditions. A little double-sided tape or velcro to put the outdoor sensor on the ceiling of the kennel and the display on your dash. Pretty enlightening and helps you crack or close vents on the kennel cover to adjust.

And for extensive dirt road driving like NoDak I try not to vent the side/end of the crate facing the tailgate. Your dog's eyes are already battling all sorts of weeds, seeds, and water, all that dust is just another irritant that can take him out of the game and spoil your trip.
Anas rubripes
hunter

Location: Looking for ducks in Illinois; the dog needs something to retrieve.

Postby Dakota Creek » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:22 pm

Anas rubripes wrote:Your dog's eyes are already battling all sorts of weeds, seeds, and water, all that dust is just another irritant that can take him out of the game and spoil your trip.

To help avoid the irritants or potential accidents check out Rex Specs - www.rexspecs.com
NMH GMH GMHR-V HRCH UH Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC/CKC) (HRC & NAHRA 500 pt club)
Dakota Creek
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:35 pm

:lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
Deplorable Since 1776
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Dakota Creek » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:14 pm

HNTFSH wrote::lol3: :lol3: :lol3:

Cheaper than a trip to the vet for an serious eye scrape or puncture!
Dakota Creek
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:41 pm

Dakota Creek wrote:
HNTFSH wrote::lol3: :lol3: :lol3:

Cheaper than a trip to the vet for an serious eye scrape or puncture!

Women!! :no:

No Doggles for real dogs.

And these are cheaper anyway. :hammer: :hammer:

dog patch.JPG
Deplorable Since 1776
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Dakota Creek » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:11 pm

Here you go HNTFSH ….. Rex Specs and bada**!
Attachments
71908709_2434312120147495_4442887829395079168_o.jpg
Dakota Creek
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:13 pm

Dakota Creek wrote:Here you go HNTFSH ….. Rex Specs and bada**!

I'd love to see that walk to the line during a Master National stake. :lol3: Or Junior for that matter!
Deplorable Since 1776
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby wraithen » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:25 pm

Go to a store that sells it and open the box and feel it. It's a good thickness and any dog that is used to being outdoors in the winter will do just fine in it. I have one on a ruff tough and it did well, but it was for a chessie. It's on you to keep your pup warm enough, but that cover should do it just fine.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Education is important, but common sense is importanter ~ tknight006
wraithen
hunter

Postby cuppedup50 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:26 pm

I've got one on my kennel and it is very well made.
cut em.
cuppedup50
hunter

Postby RShockley » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:54 pm

Dakota Creek wrote:Here you go HNTFSH ….. Rex Specs and bada**!

I have a buddy that uses his dog when hunting sandhill cranes. He wears rex specs to protect his eyes when fighting with cripples. They seem to work well despite looking silly. I tried to get my Chesapeake used to a pair but he wasn't having it. Guess no crane hunts for him. Those things are big, mean, and ready to fight when crippled.
RShockley
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum