We’re gonna give it a go

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, swampbilly 1980, hunt-chessies

Re: We’re gonna give it a go

Postby HNTFSH » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:38 am

...and slip the judges each a $20 as you approach the line....
Deplorable Since 1776
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby sprigs4days » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:12 am

Rick Hall wrote:Get off the internet and to the test site in time for the judges and handlers' meeting and don't be shy about voicing your questions.

I definitely want to get there early, but not two weeks early, geez...
“Life is hard, but it’s harder when you’re stupid” J. Kennedy (R-LA)
sprigs4days
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:23 am

Think you're in good shape! The only serious issue you could come across is if the two judges are a married couple by some chance. For some reason that combo at the judging line fails a much higher percentage of dogs. Don't know why. :huh:

OK man...we're all in this with you! :thumbsup:
Deplorable Since 1776
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby sprigs4days » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:50 am

Thanks brother and yeah, it’s gonna be a married couple judging unless they’re bro and sis. :fingerhead:
sprigs4days
hunter

Postby RShockley » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:45 am

sprigs4days wrote:Thanks brother and yeah, it’s gonna be a married couple judging unless they’re bro and sis. :fingerhead:

Just checked out the test. I believe Chris and Kim are married. I have run a test under Chris and he is a good judge who is pretty easy to run under. I don't have any experience with Kim though.
RShockley
hunter

Postby Irishwhistler » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:12 am

Remember that first and foremost, this is about having fun with your retriever. Not passing isn't the end o' the world, just a message that training needs to be focused and dedicated. An AKC Junior stakes hunt test is pretty much straight forward so just make certain you know and understand the rules. Downloadable copies of the rules are available on line. Your confidence during the test will be the direct result of having prepared well prior to the test. If you keep it all in perspective, your self confidence will equate to your being more relaxed on the line. Dogs are very perceptive and your confidence or lack thereof will run down the leash, that said, send your dog the right message. Remember that you and your retriever are a team at all times.

Watch some of the other dog / handler teams in your stakes during their runs and make mental notes of the trends of both what seems like successful vs. unsuccessful runs.

Air out your dog sufficiently before your place in the running order is coming up and give yourself ample time to do so.

Breath, have fun, and we are all in your corner :thumbsup: . Looking forward to seeing the victory photo with your dog and first HT ribbon.

Be ready to become seriously addicted to this amazing activity, it's so much fun!

Enjoy it all and best of luck to you.

Cheers :beer: ,
Irishwhistler
"TEAM TRAD" - Pro Staff
DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
Irishwhistler
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:23 am

RShockley wrote:
sprigs4days wrote:Thanks brother and yeah, it’s gonna be a married couple judging unless they’re bro and sis. :fingerhead:

Just checked out the test. I believe Chris and Kim are married. I have run a test under Chris and he is a good judge who is pretty easy to run under. I don't have any experience with Kim though.

She's the anti-Christ. Nickname - Failer.

Hates Choco's. Got bit by one as a child.
Deplorable Since 1776
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Boatman » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:52 pm

I can give you one piece of advice if you haven't trained with other dogs do it now with more than one. My first AKC hunt test with Dot was after she had retrieved at entire season of ducks and geese, mostly water retrieves off the boat but only ever trained with my buddies dog together one or two times. So at the hunt test after they dragged Ducks all over the field we were about 15th or 18th in line when they shot the bird that fell she ran right to it stood over it and then started sniffing the field of all the unfamiliar scent. When I finally gathered her back to the line the judge ask me did you ever train her with a live bird I just laughed and said yea but not other dog's.
There are still things worth dying for and 1 of those things is freedom.

I love Geese
Boatman
hunter

Postby Willie » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:27 pm

My dog is a completely different animal on test weekend than she is when we train or hunt. The sights, sounds, and smells on test weekend are really hard to replicate, but we do our best with regular training with the local retriever club.
I get nervous as hell and I know she feeds off of me which also contributes to her being more amped up at test time.
Take your time, try to relax, and have fun. Junior is a lot of fun.
Willie
hunter

Postby Dakota Creek » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:28 am

HNTFSH wrote:She's the anti-Christ. Nickname - Failer. Hates Choco's. Got bit by one as a child.

Oh for crying out loud HNTFSH!!!! You really know how to help a nervous newbie!! LOL! :fingerhead:
NMH GMH GMHR-V HRCH UH Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC/CKC) (HRC & NAHRA 500 pt club)
HRCH-UH MHR-I Dakota Creek's Royal Gem MH
HRCH-UH WR Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc SH
SHR UH Dakota Creek's Cute As A Bug JH WC
Dakota Creek
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:16 am

Dakota Creek wrote:
HNTFSH wrote:She's the anti-Christ. Nickname - Failer. Hates Choco's. Got bit by one as a child.

Oh for crying out loud HNTFSH!!!! You really know how to help a nervous newbie!! LOL! :fingerhead:

:yes: He has nerves of steel. :eek: She'll probably want to have his puppies. He should give her a little pat on the bottom as he walks Mac to the line. :hammer:

Confidence sells! :grooving:
Deplorable Since 1776
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby RShockley » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:15 pm

HNTFSH wrote:He should give her a little pat on the bottom as he walks Mac to the line.

Best way to find out really quick if you are passing or failing. :lol:
RShockley
hunter

Postby sprigs4days » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:43 pm

The fam wants to come check it out. Is it going to be open to the public or do I need to buy them passes?
sprigs4days
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:25 am

sprigs4days wrote:The fam wants to come check it out. Is it going to be open to the public or do I need to buy them passes?

Open to all. Just tell them not to wear white tops/coats. Darker, drab colors are best.
Deplorable Since 1776
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Dakota Creek » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:44 am

The judges normally determine where the "gallery" can watch from. As suggested, have them wear dark colours (no handler wants someone in the gallery sitting in white and distracting their dog) - you will need to be in dark colours (AKC) or head to toe camo (HRC). Bring along chairs for those watching, drinks and lunch as hopefully (read successfully) you will be running both series (land and water) and you will be there for the day!

Good luck, have fun ..... and remember to take your time at the line and breathe!! :biggrin:
NMH GMH GMHR-V HRCH UH Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC/CKC) (HRC & NAHRA 500 pt club)
Dakota Creek
hunter

Postby sprigs4days » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:30 am

Thanks fellas, I appreciate all the help.
sprigs4days
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:35 am

sprigs4days wrote:Thanks fellas, I appreciate all the help.

You're gonna have so much fun. Remember there's no "training" on the test grounds. Training means throwing bumpers, etc. So if you need to work a little steam off Mac, find a little area tucked away out of eyesight and toss a few for him.
Deplorable Since 1776
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Dakota Creek » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:50 pm

You're welcome!

(Pssst .... we're all not fellas!). :biggrin:
Dakota Creek
hunter

Postby sprigs4days » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:49 pm

Dakota Creek wrote:

You're welcome!

My apologies, Dakota. Thanks to the gals as well.
sprigs4days
hunter

Postby sprigs4days » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:51 pm

HNTFSH wrote:

You're gonna have so much fun. Remember there's no "training" on the test grounds. Training means throwing bumpers, etc. So if you need to work a little steam off Mac, find a little area tucked away out of eyesight and toss a few for him.

Gotcha :thumbsup:
sprigs4days
hunter

Postby Dakota Creek » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:17 pm

sprigs4days wrote:
Dakota Creek wrote:

You're welcome!

My apologies, Dakota. Thanks to the gals as well.

Cheers! :beer:
Dakota Creek
hunter

Postby sprigs4days » Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:26 pm

Looks like I’m gonna get a chance to watch quite a few run before we’re called. We’re gonna run 44th outta 52. He’s gonna be wound up.
sprigs4days
hunter

Postby RShockley » Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:36 pm

sprigs4days wrote:Looks like I’m gonna get a chance to watch quite a few run before we’re called. We’re gonna run 44th outta 52. He’s gonna be wound up.

So with the running order, you won't always run exactly to order. A lot of pros or handlers with multiple dogs in multiple series will have to jump around from each series. They have to work them in as they can so the test hopefully won't come to a stop just waiting. Best to stay around, introduce yourself to the marshall, and be ready to go when needed. With that said, if they come to you asking to hurry up and get to the line so they can fit you in-between don't rush yourself more then the dog is able to do. The worst they can do is put you on the clock which would still give you like 10 minutes to get to the line. Take the time you need to have the best opportunity for success. You paid to be there just like everyone else and they need to respect that to a point. Obviously, that really doesn't apply if you are just not paying attention and you're not ready when it comes to your turn to run. Good luck and have fun. Watch and listen to as much as possible. You and the pup will do great and learn a lot from your first test.
RShockley
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:11 pm

sprigs4days wrote:Looks like I’m gonna get a chance to watch quite a few run before we’re called. We’re gonna run 44th outta 52. He’s gonna be wound up.

Birds ought to be mighty well used by then! :lol3: Practice with a nasty bird!!! :thumbsup:
Deplorable Since 1776
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby sprigs4days » Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:41 pm

Thanks Hnt, you’ve helped me out big time, since the first few weeks I brought the little mange home to now. That is in between the ball busting. But seriously, thanks brother.
sprigs4days
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting Dog Forum