We’re gonna give it a go

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, swampbilly 1980, hunt-chessies

Re: We’re gonna give it a go

Postby HNTFSH » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:40 pm

sprigs4days wrote:Thanks Hnt, you’ve helped me out big time, since the first few weeks I brought the little mange home to now. That is in between the ball busting. But seriously, thanks brother.

:beer: You did it all! He's looking good and glad you're doing a test. You'll enjoy it with the family. And those birds do get seriously gnarly. Been at tests where by the time you get to the water marks, throwers gotta make sure they pick birds that will float high enough for the dog to see the mark. :eek: Young dogs who have only gotten fresh birds aren't sure why'd you send them after "roadkill". :lol3:

No chops busting, I really do think you should pat the gal judge on the bottom on the way to the line. :banana:
Deplorable Since 1776
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby sprigs4days » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:54 pm

Been tossing an old spoony from a couple years back, probably been thawed out 6 times, legs are one throw away from falling off. He doesn't bring it back to me with much enthusiasm.

The pat on the ass would work if I weren't taking a certain little ill tempered German gal named wife.
“Life is hard, but it’s harder when you’re stupid” J. Kennedy (R-LA)
sprigs4days
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:08 am

sprigs4days wrote:Been tossing an old spoony from a couple years back, probably been thawed out 6 times, legs are one throw away from falling off. He doesn't bring it back to me with much enthusiasm.

The pat on the ass would work if I weren't taking a certain little ill tempered German gal named wife.

:lol3: on both fronts.
Deplorable Since 1776
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Flatsmaster23 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:06 pm

Good luck sprigs4 ... I’m sure ur pup will crush it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Flatsmaster23
hunter

Postby sprigs4days » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:06 am

Thanks flat, we're gonna find out here in a few days.
sprigs4days
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:11 am

Go dog #44!!!! :hammer: :hammer: :banana: :banana: :beer: :beer: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Deplorable Since 1776
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby OGblackcloud » Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:51 pm

Good luck sprigs
OGblackcloud
Super Moderator

Postby sprigs4days » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:19 am

Thanks OG
sprigs4days
hunter

Postby sprigs4days » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:20 am

HNTFSH wrote:Go dog #44!!!! :hammer: :hammer: :banana: :banana: :beer: :beer: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Getting close!
sprigs4days
hunter

Postby Alaska_Skeeter » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:47 am

Remember to slow down...most pups perform better when the handler is slow and deliberate.
This podcast discusses how a handler can slow down at a hunt test:https://www.podbean.com/ew/pb-98kfe-a8b69a

Also put your tongue between your teeth after you signal the judges that you are ready,
as a reminder to yourself not to talk to your dog until released by the judges (stupid AKC rule).

Enjoy your pup!
Alaska_Skeeter
hunter

Postby sprigs4days » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:44 am

Butterflies are thick
sprigs4days
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:44 am

sprigs4days wrote:Butterflies are thick

:lol3: :thumbsup:
Deplorable Since 1776
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Flatsmaster23 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:56 pm

Sprig just hold onto collar and pup will do the rest
You’ll be fine ... good luck and post up that fancy ribbon when u get it

Flatsmaster23
hunter

Postby Dakota Creek » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:20 pm

Well ....... are you hooked now?? :biggrin:
NMH GMH GMHR-V HRCH UH Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC/CKC) (HRC & NAHRA 500 pt club)
HRCH-UH MHR-I Dakota Creek's Royal Gem MH
HRCH-UH WR Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc SH
SHR UH Dakota Creek's Cute As A Bug JH WC
Dakota Creek
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:25 pm

Was thinking of his run. Now it's 3:23 PST in Californification and he's dog 44. If the running order is at all in line, he's probably in a water holding blind as we type!
Deplorable Since 1776
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby sprigs4days » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:05 pm

Well I didn’t get it done. Started out good:
EF97FC49-AC1B-42E7-96AC-AE029AC9858D.jpeg

ABD04B56-2D47-4776-B1E0-CBCC64B518EE.jpeg

On this one he got out at about 20 yards, stopped and spun around and came back to me as if I called him. I was watching the vid my kid recorded. Just before he puts the brakes on the dog in the hole let’s out a whiny bark and I think it confused my boy. At the same time excuses are like buttholes, everyone has one. At the end of the day it’s my lack of training with distractions going on.
8200A0E8-4E06-46B9-9BF7-BCB2937EBC45.jpeg

09AC8265-4F13-4DF2-B126-DFB7039B15DF.jpeg
sprigs4days
hunter

Postby sprigs4days » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:08 pm

I did get to see some real nice dogs. And to watch them work was pretty cool. The family had a good time and did their best to cheer me up. We’re not done, this will burn in my gut till we get it done.
sprigs4days
hunter

Postby 5 stand » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:40 pm

Mac couldn't have a better owner!
Go # 44 !!!!! :thumbsup:
5 stand
hunter

Postby Dakota Creek » Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:40 am

sprigs4days wrote:I did get to see some real nice dogs. And to watch them work was pretty cool. The family had a good time and did their best to cheer me up. We’re not done, this will burn in my gut till we get it done.

Well you answered my "Are you hooked yet?" question! :biggrin:

If you are not training with a group ..... see if there is a "local" club that you can get out and train with, as this would give your dog LOTS of distractions and that test day "feel"!

Ribbon or not .... well done! :thumbsup:
NMH GMH GMHR-V HRCH UH Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC/CKC) (HRC & NAHRA 500 pt club)
HRCH-UH MHR-I Dakota Creek's Royal Gem MH
HRCH-UH WR Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc SH
SHR UH Dakota Creek's Cute As A Bug JH WC
Dakota Creek
hunter

Postby Flatsmaster23 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:34 am

Sorry it didn’t go as planned but we usually learn more from a setback just as a dog learns from a correction ... no idea where u train but I see the test had reasonable cover so make sure u don’t always train in a mowed easily visual mark situation so dog gets some nose work... pups just getting started with the best yet to come !!!

Flatsmaster23
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:21 am

Ah! Bummer!! But the host club does thank you for your contribution. :hammer:

sprigs4days wrote: We’re not done, this will burn in my gut till we get it done.
:lol3: :lol3:

Right on man. :thumbsup: You are far from the 1st guy with a young gun-dog this has happened to. And the irony is, YOUR dog (versus many of those that "passed"), has actually picked up crippled and dead birds in the wild under a real gun! :hammer: :hammer: :lol3: Under situations and in cover you largely could not control and I'm guessing you weren't hunting a golf course. :clapping:

So yea, you accidentally screwed yourself by thinking a real hunting dog might could pass a "hunt test". :oops: Dakota's right...you're the victim of training a hunting dog and not a test dog. And the only way to train a test dog is involve Team Sprigs in a local club and have some fun, learn a lot, and have the best dog possible in both venue's.

If you really enjoy training Mac - club work will give a you a year round way to train with others, equipment, make some great friends and your dog will LOVE, working with birds 9-10 months a year instead of 3. :thumbsup:

How'd everything go coming up to the line, releasing the dog, holding blinds, etc?
Deplorable Since 1776
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby sprigs4days » Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:58 am

HNTFSH wrote:Ah! Bummer!! But the host club does thank you for your contribution. :hammer:

:lol3: You know what he can do with that contribution? :yes:
sprigs4days
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:09 pm

sprigs4days wrote:On this one he got out at about 20 yards, stopped and spun around and came back to me as if I called him. I was watching the vid my kid recorded. Just before he puts the brakes on the dog in the hole let’s out a whiny bark and I think it confused my boy. At the same time excuses are like buttholes, everyone has one. At the end of the day it’s my lack of training with distractions going on.

Where you gonna find another dog to train with that's been trained to sound like your whistle? Having seen a dog stop to just the right red-winged black bird call, I'd be inclined to chalk that one up to "crap happens." Train every which way you can think of, and sometimes it still will...
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby sprigs4days » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:14 pm

HNTFSH wrote:

Right on man. :thumbsup: You are far from the 1st guy with a young gun-dog this has happened to. And the irony is, YOUR dog (versus many of those that "passed"), has actually picked up crippled and dead birds in the wild under a real gun! :hammer: :hammer: :lol3: Under situations and in cover you largely could not control and I'm guessing you weren't hunting a golf course. :clapping:

So yea, you accidentally screwed yourself by thinking a real hunting dog might could pass a "hunt test". :oops: Dakota's right...you're the victim of training a hunting dog and not a test dog. And the only way to train a test dog is involve Team Sprigs in a local club and have some fun, learn a lot, and have the best dog possible in both venue's.

If you really enjoy training Mac - club work will give a you a year round way to train with others, equipment, make some great friends and your dog will LOVE, working with birds 9-10 months a year instead of 3. :thumbsup:

How'd everything go coming up to the line, releasing the dog, holding blinds, etc?

I did catch sight of a few handler/dogs that were too damn pretty to ever be in the muck chasing ducks.

He did great at the line, heeled up till I released him. I’ve gone over that damn video a couple hundred times and the one thing that I really noticed is I should have bent over told him a couple of things that woulda got him in hunting mode before I raised my arm, I blew it.

Walking to the line I felt good about getting it done, especially after I saw how lenient the judges had been to a few of the dogs runs, but when Mac popped and came back to me I knew I was toast. It was a learning experience for us.I have a lot of respect for you and the others who have handled champion dogs.
sprigs4days
hunter

Postby sprigs4days » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:21 pm

Rick Hall wrote:
sprigs4days wrote:On this one he got out at about 20 yards, stopped and spun around and came back to me as if I called him. I was watching the vid my kid recorded. Just before he puts the brakes on the dog in the hole let’s out a whiny bark and I think it confused my boy. At the same time excuses are like buttholes, everyone has one. At the end of the day it’s my lack of training with distractions going on.

Where you gonna find another dog to train with that's been trained to sound like your whistle? Having seen a dog stop to just the right red-winged black bird call, I'd be inclined to chalk that one up to "crap happens." Train every which way you can think of, and sometimes it still will...

I hear ya Rick. I did remember what you said you’d tell your pup just before going to the line. My feelings too.
sprigs4days
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting Dog Forum